What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

"Semi auto" landraces?

Rajas

Premium user
Are you sure? On the equator the day length only varies few minutes over the year it seems this is not sufficient to trigger flowering. Some of the equatorial Sativas have adapted by developing autoflowering traits. Ed Rosenthal wrote in the Cannabis Growers Handbook on Page 38:
“Most varieties of cannabis are short day/long night plants, with the possible exception of C. ruderalis and some equatorial C.sativa varieties that are commonly described as auto-flowering and may be day-neutral”

I was "researching" the topic of day length in relation to the start of flowering. I'm at 50° latitude and I'm searching for something that triggers flower between 16 to 15 hours of day length. I stumbled upon semi autos because they supposedly trigger early. Khalifagenetics answered an email about their Beldia and its semi auto traits. Early flower can be triggered by root space, poor soil and other stress factors. According to Khalifa their Beldia will start flowering below 15h45min of day length. I'm planning on making seeds in a tent this year and the idea is to just select the ones that start flowering at 15h30min of light and put the seeds outdoor next year an see what happens.
Its interesting because outdoors it doesnt work that way. I still dont understand Beldia's flowering modes eventhough I just grew it this year.
Outdoor it starts rather with deminishing light hours. Thats from End of June to early July. At my latitude its from the very start below 15:45 light hours. It then peaks at 16 hours daylight and goes down again. About 2-3 weeks later you see the first pistils. The plant grew being sexually mature under 15:45 hours of daylight for a month and no pistils, but after the peak of 16 hours and deminishing light hours it triggered. The plant was also at 1-1.3m in size when i saw first pistils - 1m size is also a trigger for flowering...
So who knows, i even had serious light pollutions yet it flowered perfectly till the end. This plant wants to start very early in the year to use all the strong sun for flower production, everything else is unfortunately not studied at all. I dont even find literature on that flowering mode. Schoolars ignore that topic.

Rajas

Premium user
Semi Auto landraces:

Sinai
Lebanese
Beldia
The landrace team as a few eastern european feral strains with semi auto mode
Zamal might have some phenos with semi auto trait but it is only confirmed by two people growing it here in the forum, everybody else seem to be suspicious about a tropical plant flowering like more northern varieties.
Baglung Nepal

As far as I understand it you find semi autos between very northern ruderalis and classic photoperiodical plants (latitude).

On the other hand somebody growing Mango Biche in Swiss said it started flowerin in summer. So there are some tropicals that start very early, too. Its just a matter of being able to grow unselected landraces in bigger numbers outdoors and pick those rare genes.

Old Piney

still dont understand Beldia's flowering modes eventhough I just grew it this year.
It's definitely intriguing the Beldia isn't auto it's photoperiod but it's just crazy early I suppose it's the most “ simi auto “ you can get. What is simi auto anyway,? I bet I can reveg a beldia cutting .I have a cutting from a Lebanese taken in mid flower rooted and looking like it's reveging now

Rajas

Premium user
WhatsApp Bild 2024-10-02 um 15.32.06_03b484ae.jpg

That is how tropical the (Khalifa) Beldia can get. Yet it finished in the very first days of September. It smelled like buttermilk and passionfruit during growing, no funk, no skunk, my neighbors didnt complain a single time. Dried its sweet fruity mango forward, then sweet cookies. Its the cleanest terp profile I have ever encountered.
No mold, a bit of thrips and lice on lower buds, especially the less complex terpene profile phenos
2.5m tall
12.5L airpots, living soil, biobizz
49N (latitude)
urban balcony grow with lots of light pollution, wind and temps from 0-32 Celsius during its life cycle
it always recovered from drought, even hanging leafs at 32 Celsius for two days was no issue for the Beldias

Mango Cookies budshot 1.jpg
Gentle positive body buzz, dreamy, very clear to the mind, elegant in a sense it is not too heavy and not too high. A very elegantly balanced plant. Its not for teenagers trying to impress their friends, its more an elegant gentleman's smoke that leaves you being able to communicate and take part in life.
I also wonder why people go for heavy smokes for pain relief, this african "sativa" makes you feel comfortable in your body, pain goes away, yet you even feel like you got enhanced senses and a interesting spacial awareness. If you overdoo it, you get a slightly nervous tingle. It got a nice psychedelic sparkle to it, nothing strong, but it makes the smoke interesting.

Last edited:

Rajas

Premium user
It's definitely intriguing the Beldia isn't auto it's photoperiod but it's just crazy early I suppose it's the most “ simi auto “ you can get. What is simi auto anyway,? I bet I can reveg a beldia cutting .I have a cutting from a Lebanese taken in mid flower rooted and looking like it's reveging now
its very uncomplicated you can do it all it seems, even preserving it as a cutting has no issues. If your mother flowers at one point in time, you can trim the rootball and cut it back and it'll go on vegging (info from Khalifa)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts