What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Sea Crop

doublezero

Damn, you need sunglasses to look at this stuff ;)

Just to show another appearance to prevent people thinking that sea salt has always to look like table salt.
sea-salt.jpg

Old Uncle Ben

Exactly what I am interested in, thank you for that phrase.
Is the discussed minerals contributing to a balanced diet?

As I tried to point out, only if there is a deficiency in your fertilizers, soil, whatever and only if the minerals provided are in a form that the plant can easily uptake. There's a reason why producers such as Schultz, Scott's and Peters went to chelated trace elements moons ago.

doublezero

For those interested in maybe investigating further here is some information (not verified :)) as to how you would achieve to make a product like Sea-90 or Sea Crop by yourself.

Old Uncle Ben

Description​

Solar evaporated Pure Ocean® Sea Salt is all natural and unrefined.

When these snake oil salesmen start that "all natural, organic non-GMO" stuff with me, I know it's designed to appeal to a certain gardening philosophy.

I refuted an organic purist's admin no till gardening post which showed over 8 years of tests an outrageous ultra high P and an ultra low N revealed with a lab analysis. HIgh P foods are detrimental to soil health for starts and the plant just doesn't need them.

xtsho

When these snake oil salesmen start that "all natural, organic non-GMO" stuff with me, I know it's designed to appeal to a certain gardening philosophy.

I refuted an organic purist's admin no till gardening post which showed over 8 years of tests an outrageous ultra high P and an ultra low N revealed with a lab analysis. HIgh P foods are detrimental to soil health for starts and the plant just doesn't need them.

Actually that was a bag of sea salt for human consumption. I just posted it to show how inexpensive sea salt is. But they use the same marketing nonsense in the food industry that they use in the cannabis industry and every other industry. I don't understand how anyone falls for that nonsense.

In the case of that salt they say it's all natural and unrefined. Then they make the statement: "run through our proprietary Optically Clean® technology in our state-of-the-art facility. These exclusive processes guarantee the purity of the salt."

They said it was unrefined. Wouldn't their processing basically be refining? They put it through a process after it was plain natural salt so they've done something to it. They just say anything. Another example is Tesla. If you go to their website they're still pushing full self driving FSD even though they don't actually have it.

I don't pay any attention to all the marketing claims and slick packaging from cannabis specific nutrient companies. It's all just fluff. They're all trying to get a slice of the pie. There's a lot of people out there willing to pay exorbitant prices for stuff that comes in a shiny bottle and promises to double your yield. People eat it up. I don't understand why.

Years ago I was doing some IT contract work for a major advertising firm. It was around 2000 back when conference calls required were done in conference rooms on the phone. There were several advertising executives that were having issues getting things hooked up so they asked me to get things setup for them. While I was in the room they were chatting amongst themselves. One of the guys made a comment that has stood with me to this day. He said, "It doesn't have to be true, all that matters is they believe it."

And that sums up the basics of marketing. It's more about getting people to believe something than the truth.

"Cannabis Plant Nutrients Market Size was valued at USD 201.86 million in 2022. The Cannabis Plant Nutrients Industry is projected to grow from USD 256.85 million in 2024 to USD 1402.8 million by 2030, exhibiting a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 29.05 % during the forecast period (2024 - 2030).
Source: https://www.marketresearchfuture.com/reports/cannabis-plant-nutrients-market-10963

1721491872985.png

Old Uncle Ben

"It doesn't have to be true, all that matters is they believe it."

And that sums up the basics of marketing. It's more about getting people to believe something than the truth.

No shit, that about sums it up. Thanks for sharing. That's also how the political machine works or any kind of sales or marketing.

Me and you have been around long enough to see when there was only a handful of seedbanks and breeders and cannabis rocket fuel sellers. Now everyone is a "boutique" pollen chucker and supplements designer.

xtsho

Seacrop has 95% of the NaCl removed. I've been using it in drinking water a long time. 3%Mg 0.02%B

That's not really supplementing your diet at all if that's your intention. 0.02% Boron? You can get more than that from eating an apple or a handful of raisins. The small amount of minerals in Sea-Crop or sea salt are insignificant as a dietary supplement. It's just another fad spread around social media with some enterprising people taking advantage to make profit. You're getting no health benefits from adding it to your drinking water.

Eating a balanced diet of healthy foods is the best way to provide your body with what it needs to be and stay healthy. One potato has about 50 mg of magnesium.

Boron is not classified as an essential nutrient for humans because research has not yet identified a clear biological function for boron

Putting Sea-Crop in your drinking water does nothing.

Last edited:

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The label on some sea salt lurking at the back of the cupboard lists uranium and thorium amongst other exotic elements along with the more mundane lead and arsenic.
Most are of homeopathic levels and of little consequence in reality.

Some successful marketing to sell tiny 100g bottles of salt at massive profit when its composition is so close to the rocksalt they spread on the roads by the tonne.

ice minus

Wow! There is so much info here since I last posted, I had no idea this had sparked so much side conversation (and I am happy it has done so, of course!)

I have not messed with this stuff to be honest since seeing so much skeptical and pessimistic feedback after the original post, but I just grabbed the stuff from the bottom of my tote in the garage and DO still have it here available to experiment with if anyone has any keen ideas:

1722403200754.png

I genuinely have no idea if it's snake oil or I wasted my money or what (I'm assuming so at this point) but I *DO* have it here and a grow available to experiment with as soon as any inquiring minds have a dosage experiment in mind for me.

Sorry again if this somehow came across as anything other than an innocent inquiry -- I've already bought the stuff and have it in my posession as you can see so there is no need to convince me it's a waste of money or so on -- I already wasted it LOL
Thanks again team ICMAG!

doublezero

Based on my own calculations I did following the information in the previously posted video about preparing a solution similar to Sea Crop I would go for:
  • 2,5:1000 for foliar and
  • 5:1000 for watering

I am not sure how often I will apply it. Probably one plant will have to serve as a beta-tester.

Latest posts

Latest posts