What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Sea Crop

Old Uncle Ben

For me, the whole idea was to enrich my soil with minerals that in my imagination have been available naturally in the soil and may be beneficial.

Ferfilizers such as Sea Crop or Sea-90 get only the sodium chloride removed (as per description of the producers) and thus should provide a bigger portion of those >80 minerals as opposed to just reducing the sodium chloride content to an acceptable degree by reducing the amount of sea salt, which also reduces all other content. That is not to say "more is better" but more like "too little may not do".

As only around a dozen compounds (nutrients, minerals) are widely covered to be needed by plants I am asking myself if the plants actually would/could make use of those other >60 minerals.

Or is it like all those minerals are already present in all soils in trace amounts (some in homeopatic doses), which is sufficient?

Is this even something worth to look into or do plants not care about most of the compounds?

Time will tell I guess, as research is progressing and tries to untangle the complexity of interrelations.

What do you think?

@Old Uncle Ben
Not a dogmatic organic purist here but for me it started with organics and I got attracted by the theory that everything is naturally available, just not in the proper proportions anymore. Well, this is the reason we (have to) use fertilizers, right?

"One fits all" in terms of having a soil that serves all purposes pretty much would be a perfect condition. Being perfect is an illusion imho but I want to go down this road and see where it gets my plants. What I do not want is to constantly (having to) provide my plants with several amendments. Maybe this is just wishful thinking ...

All of this is moot point unless you've done a soil analysis via a certified lab to see where you're at and need to go. If in the states recommend Ward Labs. They also do raw organics like manures, etc.

If this was such a wonder hit it would be sold everywhere.

Best micros product I have is Keyplex350DP. https://www.keyplex.com/product/keyplex-350-dp/

doublezero

@Old Uncle Ben
Good point. Currently I belong to the 99,99% of people who do not have their soil tested and would have to go with my feeling about a plant - does it do better (for me) or not?

I guess this would be something I could achieve.

While typing this I did a quick research. Basic soil testing ist something I could afford. Basic meaning "only" the main components. Testing for all the a. m. minerals is probably not as cheap as 50€, if any company will do this at all.

So, in your opinion those dozen compounds we all try to use and balance is all there is in terms of nutrients?(let aside microbes and all the stuff discovered to modify growth).

blondie

I’ve grown now using osmocote, sea 90, and organics. Mostly organics though. For ease of use and good yield, osmo was number one. Properly dialed in organics, a close second for yield. Ease of use is not as simple but not particularly difficult either. I’ve found organics a bit tricky to dial in due to differences in fertilizer needs for different strains.

Sea 90 I don’t think I ever got dialed in properly. There is a user here who swears by this product.

If I didn’t care about organics, I would dump a tablespoon or so of osmo into some soil and call it a day. This will get you a respectable end product for minimal effort. I did not have need to add additional ferts through the entire grow. More data points are needed to confirm this however initial results are encouraging. Uncle Ben will confirm this though.

doublezero

No doubt you can grow decent herb with osmocote and I fully agree regarding the demanding use of organics.

I think organics "vs" mineral based is currently more like a philosophical thing.

Sea 90 and Sea Crop are, however, only to be seen as amendment rather than complete nutrient supply.

Last edited:

ice minus

As the OP who still has this stuff in hand, full container, and still is unsure if I can use it in any way -- I WILL say I'm still thrilled it brought a bunch of forum pros together to check in

Even though I'm a total noob and fumbling through even the simplest tasks I just wanted to say again I sincerely appreciate you all! And also that I'm still super curious if this can be incorporated or not

I grow organics in KIS soil, Gaia Green dry amendments, and likely the full ingredients catalogue from Black Swallow Living Soil

ice minus

Have you checked the website I mentioned earliear as well as the vendor's website?
Sincerely sorry as I didn't get a chance to go over everything posted above in full detail yet and must've missed that link as well

Big thank you for taking the time to pop in and drop knowledge in this thread though, it is sincerely appreciated!

Just curious though, did you arrive at any kind of consensus on your thoughts of this product? Would it be worth trying to incorporate or play mad scientest with? Or am I wasting my time?

The funny thing is, I was recommended it by a black market grower in BC who's product was EXTREMELY well regarded but he pivoted into the LP world years ago and we lost touch sadly. The era of growers helping growers on IG seem long gone.

doublezero

There is only my feeling about it atm and that tells me it makes sense. I plan on using it and compare the results. Probably I will use 1gr sea salt for 1L of water. The only reason I for a finished product is me thinking that the mineral content could be too low with a 1:1000 dilution.

I will be using sea salt from Guérande, fwiw.

Incorporating this is done in no time.

ice minus

The Sea Crop itself is really something to witness, it's certainly "unique" as far as products I've seen go. It's a completely clear, translucent liquid, that once even a single drop meets a cup of water, it instantly turns into waves and blends into the water immediately. PPM's jump rapidly, by the drop, when monitoring. Only thing I am uncertain of is if the PPM's and final composition once applied to the water is good or bad. And how much is enough?

ice minus

There is only my feeling about it atm and that tells me it makes sense. I plan on using it and compare the results. Probably I will use 1gr sea salt for 1L of water. The only reason I for a finished product is me thinking that the mineral content could be too low with a 1:1000 dilution.

I will be using sea salt from Guérande, fwiw.

Incorporating this is done in no time.
Appreciate you actually giving it consideration and not instantly dismissing it !

I want to know how it can play into soil biology especially and what application rates could be beneficial via watering

Old Uncle Ben

I don't see these as chelated nutrient salts and I'll say it again, does your primary fertilizer not contain micros in an available uptake form?

.....or you just being sucked into yet another forum supplement rocket fuel?

doublezero

Probably my soil contains micronutrients ready for uptake, that is, I hope so :D

I am more sucked into my curiosity. I've seen a few things in my life and am for sure not a person who just beliefs anything. But this also applies to disbelief.

I have to read about chelated nutrient salts in this context as I don't know if your last post, @Old Uncle Ben , is maybe already the answer to my questions of post#21.
As only around a dozen compounds (nutrients, minerals) are widely covered to be needed by plants I am asking myself if the plants actually would/could make use of those other >60 minerals.

Or is it like all those minerals are already present in all soils in trace amounts (some in homeopatic doses), which is sufficient?

Is this even something worth to look into or do plants not care about most of the compounds?

Old Uncle Ben

I was just reading through a thread by @farmerlion . Obviously he is using Sea-90. Maybe he is willing to jump in and explain why he uses this product.
Recommend some research on nutrition elements, essential vs beneficial. Just because a a producer/vendor hawks something as being "beneficial" it's a moot point if the plant is not receptive to it. I've tried silicon on various materials. Won't waste my money again.

I've had Keyplex 350DP in my toolbox for a long time. There's a bonafide product used by LEGITIMATE large scale commercial nurseries. This being one of them. http://pineislandnursery.com/ I talked to their nursery manager years ago and they use it or a similar product as a matter of routine when watering.

Don't treat cannabis as something with special needs. It isn't. Just use some common sense and give it a balanced diet.

xtsho

Korean Natural Farming has been around since the 1960's. Sea water and or sea salt have been used in that farming method for 60 years. Now someone puts it in a bottle and sells it as if it's some new thing they discovered. There is nothing special about it. The fact that it contains all these minerals is meaningless as the plant doesn't need or use most of them anyway.

The way they market it makes it sound amazing. The only thing that's amazing is how they can sell some inexpensive sea salt for such a huge markup in price.

doublezero

So, let's see what information we got now, letting aside the achievements of modern marketing ;)

- KNF utilizes sea water since many decades.
- Plants don't need or use most of the minerals (present in sea water/salt)
- Some users here on IC MAG use mentioned products.

@ice minus
As I unintentionally kinda shifted your original request towards another direction I hope this is ok for you. Would it make sense to rename the thread name so that it contains some context? Maybe more people get attracted and can provide further information. I will open a new thread if necessary.

Maybe this all has been discussed before but I was not able to find something related.

@Old Uncle Ben
Don't treat cannabis as something with special needs. It isn't. Just use some common sense and give it a balanced diet.
Exactly what I am interested in, thank you for that phrase.
Is the discussed minerals contributing to a balanced diet?

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
I was just reading through a thread by @farmerlion . Obviously he is using Sea-90. Maybe he is willing to jump in and explain why he uses this product.
Thank you DoubleZero,
The Sea-90 Ocean Minerals is simply Ocean water evaporated which contains numerous micro nutrients. It's produced on the Baja Peninsula and is world record holder of many current world records in pumpkin and tomatoes.

Dr. Maynard Murray developed it's use in Florida through his research growing hydroponically. In grow bags it's use that can be flushed from your soil is very beneficial.

There's always someone thinking if a little bit is good, a lot is better! Wrong! This is hands down my favorite amendment that brings levels of protection to your growing environment.

Pests don't waste they're time on healthy plants. Sea-90 Ocean Minerals is the best may to have healthy plants and allows you to stop using pesticides and herbicides entirely.

This improves the quality of cannabis day one! 2-3 teaspoons in 5 gallons of water is a feeding amount I use. I'm actually out right now and need another 5 lbd bag.

This product is inexpensive and far better in my opinion than any single product on the market. When combined with Microbial Repositories you can see in my threads the quality of fluorescence, (Buds) mine are just now flowering, stop by my thread.
Peace farmerlion

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Would evaporated sea salt not contain the very same trace amounts of heavy metals that people freaked out about with Miraclegrow a decade ago?.

xtsho

Description​

Solar evaporated Pure Ocean® Sea Salt is all natural and unrefined. Made white by the sun and sea, the sparkling crystals are collected from the salt ponds, carefully crushed and screened to size, and finally run through our proprietary Optically Clean® technology in our state-of-the-art facility. These exclusive processes guarantee the purity of the salt, while protecting the unique characteristics of each grain, ensuring that SaltWorks can craft the most pristine all-natural sea salt on the market.

Premium Sea Salt
Coarse Grain - 55 lb Bag
$59.98

1721411344487.png

Latest posts

Latest posts