What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Road kill skunk, the real skunk

Koolhandluke

I found this online

Nowadays, we find two main Skunk#1 variations: on the one hand, we have Sam Skunkman's "Sweet Skunk", a mostly Sativa genetics with sweet, refined aromas and a very pleasant effect. On the other hand, the "Roadkill Skunk" - developed by Neville, who is currently working with Mr. Nice Seedbank - is an Afghani-dominant Skunk line, with a very intense aroma and a more relaxing effect.

Koolhandluke

Skunk #1 ((Afghani x Colombian Gold) x Acapulco Gold.

kro-magnon

Veteran
I think I can concur with the Afghani x Colombian gold = RKS

As I just seen it that online like 10 minutes ago while researching roadkill skunk skunk skunk weed and Afghani That's exactly what one dude just said I'll try to find it

As far as afghanis go what would you pick

Sensi seeds Afghani #1 was what was the basis of skunk weed but as you know they're Afghani is garbage now is they lost the original genetics

Personally deep chunk would would be The first choice in my opinion 🤷🏻
No afghani#1 from Sensi Seeds was not the basis of Skunk weed, maybe you should learn a bit more before laughing at other's real experiences.

Greatdalas

Encontré esto en línea

Actualmente encontramos dos variantes principales de Skunk#1: por un lado, tenemos la “Sweet Skunk” de Sam Skunkman, una genética mayoritariamente Sativa con aromas dulces y refinados y un efecto muy agradable. Por otro lado, la “Roadkill Skunk” -desarrollada por Neville, que actualmente trabaja con Mr. Nice Seedbank- es una línea Skunk con predominancia afgana, con un aroma muy intenso y un efecto más relajante.
I think the skunk (sweet version or dutch skunk like i call) is a cross with sweet ndl afghani or a very long selection of the more sweet spice phenotypes in the rks that is close but not the same, but who knows

Wuachuma

currently growing some Erdpurt x Oaxacan f2 and make into f3
this kind of cross of any "Afghan x South American", is actually the original "Skunk" from the 80s.

Those were some of the first Cali crosses made in the late 70s
Growers already had all these Sativas from Thailand, Colombia, Hawaii etc. which were hard to finish even in the Triangle. At the same time the first Afghan and Hindukush seeds were brought back, up until the Soviet war started.

So we are talking the year ’79, as the latest possible when "RKS" must had already been created.
Due to no influx of lines into the US gene pool.
Going forward you had the Cocaine Cowboy aera, the Sov-Afghan war, Reagan etc.

Colombian weed became hardly availiable, Afghan seeds from the source were unoptainable just up until recently and the eradication picked up massively worldwide.

my breeding is mostly done by my nose, so over the years I've learned which combination of genotypes, gives you a somewhat predictable outcome of smell.

So for anyone who's looking for that pungent, just cross some Afghan (f) x South American (m)
I already made Deep Chunk x Panama, it's some of the most potent ever, with filter breaking terps.

It's important to use the Sativa as the male side, otherwise you just making some fat Indica that's mostly narcotic and has shitty mold properties. The Cali hippies figured that out back then and there is a lot about this in the Skunk#1 storyline. With enough reading, I've picked up a lot of puzzle pieces over the last decade, to form my own theory.

The road kill weed of the 80s was just Afghan x Colombian in my opinion.
The precursor cross of what later became Skunk #1(Afg/Col x Mexican)
When Skunk #1 hit the scene, the first batches still had that pungent due to recessives, but as many know this was deliberetely bred out towards sweetness, for commercial reasons.

now that for my morning coffee and hash doing it's thing^^

I encourage anyone to try their own cross of genotypes and not waste time & cash, trying sift through Skunk offers from vendors. Get yourself some true lines and f1 them yourself, it makes all the difference.

peace fam
I've often said, what ever happened to that Colombian x Afghan that was said to be unsuitable for Californian grow ops.
I think you're right that it got outcrossed to Mexican and soon after lost the RKS when inbred.
Durban x Skunk X Acapulco x C99 had a better 'RKS' pheno than what was found in '78 Skunk F5-F7

Something I found to be true in both Skunk and Blueberry:
You're not going to find smell you expect in a pure line of either. Instead, you'll find what you want in an outcross. Durban x Skunk is better than Skunk. BB x Haze or BB x WW is better than BB.
I say, make outcrosses, F2 then, and if you don't find what you want in the F2's, then breed an incross using those F2's and either to another pure parent or to another outcross. I've found this method to exceed backcrosses. Plus, most people Bx the wrong way by using an F1 to Bx to the parent instead of picking an F2 or F3 to Bx to the parent.

Hmong

Veteran

tough question, I got like infinite lines at this point^^
12 years of collecting and reproduction starting to pay off now.

Deep Chunk became a bit boring over the years and is already a perfect match with Panama available as f2. Used to love my DC crosses, but the strong afterglow next morning makes it actually a tough smoke over time.
Haven't yet made a cross with it, that didn't have that devastating morning potency, like you wake up more baked than passing out and that shit makes you pass out like a roofie, every time.

everything comes with a price, but I'm looking for something more "moderate" now.

e.g. I simply forgot, that I bought all the Afghan lines from Kalifa Genetics, your post just inspired me to a new project. @Koolhandluke

Let's create some RKS again, boys!

I will look repro my Colombian Gold '72 asap and select keeper cuts from that run.
Due to flowering times and extreme vigor, this will take me 6 months at least.
killing two birds with one stone here, as I finally have a reason to unvault the Col.Gold and use the genetics to create something special, by crossing it to Afghan Lemon from Kalifa.

Afghan Lemon x Colombian Gold '72

how does that sound? just by the look of it ;)
could do a reg and a fem version, with the best Lumbo male and female.

On the other hand, the "Roadkill Skunk" - developed by Neville, who is currently working with Mr. Nice Seedbank - is an Afghani-dominant Skunk line, with a very intense aroma and a more relaxing effect.

I bet, they just "superskunk" whatever they had before. Just the way it's worded, I can already read between the lines. :ROFLMAO:
Skunk #1 x Afghanistan already exists, they be using a blueprint^^

So be careful buying in Europe, look!
I'm just some regular dude with grow tents, who eventually came to the conclusion that these so called "named breeders" and seed banks only cook with water and sell an illusion.

Because at the back end of this industry, behind the show curtain of fancy websites and social media presence, there are only a bunch of regular dudes with grow tents, grinding...
Whatever comes out of that, goes into mass production via the seed mafia in Spain.
Stop believing in brands, I saw how big packs were cut up and labeled with all the common big names. It's all fugazi

These seeds at retail prices are a scam, you would need to select from big packs of at least 100 to find true keepers, because stability is a big issue nowadays, not even talking the latest HPLV issue. Just finding a stable keeper could cost you potential thousands at retail.
That's why even in my local clone industry, which is a multi million market cap with over 20 years of tradition at is this point, most cuts were and are still selected from regular 10 packs, while the customer buys an illusion of "breeder cuts" 🤡

just putting that out there, as a PSA ^

is a cross with sweet ndl afghani

"Dutch Skunk" could be later Skunk #1 x Mazar i Sharif aka. "Mazar"
just considering timeline and the fact, that Mazar has long been a dutch staple line via DP and is still on coffee shop menues today.

This is an upgraded selection of our valued former Afghan/Skunk. We improved the variety in 1997. The taste is softer than before and we managed to improve on yield. The Afghani (Mazar-i-Shariff) part is a very short christmastree- like plant, 100% Indica and very resinous. The F1-cross with Skunk#1 gives the variety a bigger yield and better taste. Very good `up` high. As both parents are very consistent, the offspring is very consistent too.

THC: 19.5%
flowering period: 8 - 9 weeks
harvest time outdoor: 1st week of Nov.

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
Living in the EU and being too young to have lived through the RKS era I can only speak from intuition; having read a lot of descriptions of this "strain", but most of all having lived through the golden age in Switzerland where all the skunky weed afg/skunk(vomit, sweaty armpits, dirty socks, all sorts of skunky terpenes) was labeled "superskunk", I came to the conclusion that to get there I had to do afghani x mexican (IMHO the best would be to do afghani x afg/mex)...
We should see how it works using different types of mexican (Oaxaca, Acapulco, Guerrero?), for the Afghans I personally would go (as Hmong said) with Khalifa, or with RSC, Balkh, Shebergan, Mazar, Tirah, all those areas visited by the Hippies in those years...
The seedbanks...you should have faith...
Maple leaf, or Shiva Shanti...
Many years ago shit was a good choice, now I don't know....
But over all, it need some selection and work...

I'll look at your work @Hmong , you definitely have more skill than me in doing this thing...

bimblebrains_1

I think I can concur with the Afghani x Colombian gold = RKS

As I just seen it that online like 10 minutes ago while researching roadkill skunk skunk skunk weed and Afghani That's exactly what one dude just said I'll try to find it

Sensi seeds Afghani #1 was what was the basis of skunk weed but as you know they're Afghani is garbage now is they lost the original genetics

Personally deep chunk would would be The first choice in my opinion 🤷🏻
Afghani #1 was definitely not a parental line of skunk,it was a variety gifted to Watson and Clarke by Mel frank,then taken to Nederlands by Watson,reproduced and sold thru cultivators choice ,just like skunk#1 was but yes it's not parental to the skunk,fact....once Watson reproduced skunk#1 in the big greenhouses there were no rotten profiles/recessives left,Neville made better selections from the original beans Watson sold him made in California,keeping some recessives which is where the cheese,blues and most likely the psychosis came from (old uk cuts) but the full blown dead rotten profiles were still not there ...thats why Neville then hybridized the skunk#1 with the Afgahan T to make superskunk,now that line lots of rotten deadbody nasty phenotypes ..that rank was defo from the affie side in the original Rks and the crossing of the Afghan T proved that,almost like a bx...if only the Afghan T was still alive eh

Hmong

Veteran
I'll look at your work @Hmong , you definitely have more skill than me in doing this thing...

don't say that, skill is relative with a plant that grows by itself^^
your setup also does not compare and you can't upgrade on pots and soil, because plants get too big for safety.

I just have the discipline to push through 12hr days in the grow room for years, just so that everything is smooth operator. You have a different risk in your life too, that's no comparison.
I only do that, because I have nothing to lose and it fits my other lifestyle with the recovery part ;)

Update: good germination rate for your EPxOAX f2, as of today I have 13 out of 14 growing.

I'm testing your's under an experimental light cycle, for a hopefully faster sexing and turnover.
Started seedlings 13hr on and will flip to 11/13hr after 21 days, due to Oaxaca having a natural 13hr light at the most.

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
Well, I haven't found a better term...but anyway, it's not a shame to admit that others are more skilled than me in growing...my strong point is that it grows by itself 😁

Back on topic,in the few plants I have grown I have found relatively skunky pheno(it wasn't my goal), I would be curious to see what comes out using other more "aromatic" afghanis than erdpurt, as well as it would be interesting to use superskunk (even if it would perhaps be a shortcut)...

bimblebrains_1

Im sure the afghan nev used for that was the afghan maple leaf line he got from jim ortega,he did collect a few lines in afghanistan as well though includeing his mazar.76
That's the one 76 the maple leaf indica,from Jim Ortega...you are the oracle bro

BerryManilow

I just finished a run of Nevil's Super Skunk and while it has the RKS properties, it's not pure RKS.

SSef3.jpg

SSef2.jpg

It stinks from over 500 ft away during the grow, the buds smell through multiple bags and smell up the room like skunk spray, and it is a very powerful stone. It smells & tastes more like old school hash & skunk spray, instead of dead skunk. That's the only difference between RKS & Super Skunk. That's where the Afghan T comes into play and the taste is more refined than just skunk.

The Seed Bank description:

"The original Super Skunk was released in the late 80s by Neville's Seed Bank. It is an afghan 'T' female from Jim Ortega's Maple Leaf Indica x Skunk #1 from sam the skunkman.

This plant is especially developed for Skunk lovers. We have crossed our best Skunks to their Afghani ancestors. Watch out for this one, the smell is dead give away. Brush against this plant and the room becomes immediately filled with a powerful Skunk aroma. Despite the smell a very pleasant high with a little more body to it than the Skunk #1."

It fits that description to a "T". If you saw or smelled this plant growing you'd think it was RKS. It's in these genetics, but Super Skunk is way more appealing and an "improved" version of just skunk.

Wolverine97

Veteran
Those thiols are quite complex, similar to a real skunk, where the smell is more chemical close up and skunky at a little distance. I have one pheno that smells like dirt and old man breath in the jar, but if you take it out in a larger space, even outside, it quickly throws the skunk in the air.
That's how it was back in the 80's/90's. It didn't reek of skunk when breaking it up, but from across the room that skunk smell took over the area. And when smoked, the skunk smell and taste was intense.

I agree with dude above, it isn't gone. I find a plant or three every year that are heavy in skunk smells and taste. Currently playing with a couple different lines I've been working on, both have tons of skunk in there. Hoping to get something into a seed line soon. We'll see...

bimblebrains_1

I just finished a run of Nevil's Super Skunk and while it has the RKS properties, it's not pure RKS.

View attachment 19063933
View attachment 19063934

It stinks from over 500 ft away during the grow, the buds smell through multiple bags and smell up the room like skunk spray, and it is a very powerful stone. It smells & tastes more like old school hash & skunk spray, instead of dead skunk. That's the only difference between RKS & Super Skunk. That's where the Afghan T comes into play and the taste is more refined than just skunk.

The Seed Bank description:

"The original Super Skunk was released in the late 80s by Neville's Seed Bank. It is an afghan 'T' female from Jim Ortega's Maple Leaf Indica x Skunk #1 from sam the skunkman.

This plant is especially developed for Skunk lovers. We have crossed our best Skunks to their Afghani ancestors. Watch out for this one, the smell is dead give away. Brush against this plant and the room becomes immediately filled with a powerful Skunk aroma. Despite the smell a very pleasant high with a little more body to it than the Skunk #1."

It fits that description to a "T". If you saw or smelled this plant growing you'd think it was RKS. It's in these genetics, but Super Skunk is way more appealing and an "improved" version of just skunk
Interesting dude,so what's the back story on the superskunk pictured,old old stock?

BerryManilow

Interesting dude,so what's the back story on the superskunk pictured,old old stock?
Yeah it originally came from old stock but I picked it up as a clone. I posted a thread and smoke report on it.

BerryManilow

It's definitely still around. Just had a buddy sample some of the Super Skunk & "Roadkill" Skunk. We could smell both of them before even opening the bag. The roadkill skunk "smells disgusting and tastes like skunk's ass!" The Super Skunk is like the perfect skunk though. Stinks like crazy but tastes amazing and such uppity, clear headed effects.

They both stand out in their own ways, but the roadkill is the nasty, putrid, rotting skunk smell & taste. I knew it from the first time I touched the plant because of the smell, and it didn't disappoint or lose the smell/taste in the cure. It's real skunk bud.

Shua1991

I noticed thst chocolate varieties (thai, kush) have a really meaty rotting smell sometimes like sewage fumes post harvest, hidden mercaptans being released through oxidation?

Latest posts

Latest posts