What's new

Red Bubba/ Ahmar Bubba

Redrum92

#3 Just about done! Giving it a couple more days to finish off the water in the pot, but it's basically done.

RB#3 day65f (5) - Copy.jpg
RB#3 day62f (1) - Copy.jpg

RB#3 day65f (3) - Copy.jpg
RB#3 day65f (6) - Copy.jpg

Seeing as how this was a test of genetics and not a test of my growing skills, this strain can clearly clank out frost and stink despite less than perfect circumstances. And, to my great surprise....

RB3,5 clone 12-23 - Copy.jpg

For once i had clones work out!! Both #3 and #5 shall have a second run (eventually)

Redrum92

It's been weeks, and #5 (left) and #6 (right) just refuse to stop flowering, even at 20/4, so i guess im going to just officially flip them and hope they straighten out hormonally.

As i said above, fortunately, #5 cloning was succesful, so it will get another chance.

RB5,6 preflower (2) - Copy.jpg

RB5,6 preflower (1) - Copy.jpg

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks @Redrum92 and Merry Christmas
Plant 3 looks impressive. How does it smell?

Interesting the other ones were reluctant to stop flowering... i think the photoperiod response of the Ahmar is very strong and wide leafs like bubba are often hard to stop once they have started... great that you have some clones as well.

VG

Redrum92

thanks @Redrum92 and Merry Christmas
Plant 3 looks impressive. How does it smell?

Interesting the other ones were reluctant to stop flowering... i think the photoperiod response of the Ahmar is very strong and wide leafs like bubba are often hard to stop once they have started... great that you have some clones as well.

VG
Merry Xmas, my friend!

Yes, plant 3 is a beauty. Definitely Bubba dominant, all around. Smell is mostly Bubba/ skunky, but it has some sort of sweet earthy undertone I'm struggling to identify. I can usually tell better after it dries and I can get some in a grinder. My thoughts for now: it's maybe a little like ginger. Sweet/earthy/zesty. Very unique. Love that about cannabis: you can grow for years or even decades and only scratch the surface as far as scent/taste possibilities.

She's getting chopped within a day or two (maybe even today), so will have scent updates soon. #5 and #6 officially on 12/12. #5 clone is already starting to shoot up, but I still haven't been able to clone #6. Would love to give them each a retry without the sexing/reveg weirdness, and better soil.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sounds lovely, i think the 'sweet earthy' thing comes from the Ahmar... but there is quite a lot of overlap with the terpene profiles.... and other traits.. which is why i thought they might complement each other nicely.

VG :tiphat:

Redrum92

Will post pic updates of #5 and 6 soon (and #3 clone/round 2), but for now just wanted to drop a smoke report for Ahmar Bubba #3

Bud came out A grade, for sure. Potency absolutely competitive with high end modern hybrids; very strong both in the lungs and the brain/body. Qualitatively, in the middle of stimulating and sedating. I guess the Ahmar added some zip to the more traditionally sedating Bubba, maybe? Taste and smell-wise, reminds me of Bubba mostly, but something extra. Very strong "weed" tasting and smelling (skunk+?). Idk how to describe it, but the opposite of modern cookie/cake strains. Then the subtle taste is hard to describe, maybe like ginger? Not sweet, but maybe slight zest

Last edited:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sounds delicious! , and the high does sound like it has been influenced by the Ahmar. From this first plant tested i am feeling quite positive about this cross and it'll be interesting how the other two turn out.

Redrum92

Sounds delicious! , and the high does sound like it has been influenced by the Ahmar. From this first plant tested i am feeling quite positive about this cross and it'll be interesting how the other two turn out.

I'd call it a success, for sure. I would imagine on a large scale seed popping venture some very interesting things could be found. Definitely running #3 again.

#5 and 6 putting out some very different smells. Much sweeter. Maybe slightly floral?

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
sounds good, yes the Ahmar often has a sweetness and floral notes. The red5 plant sometimes smells like turkish delight which i think is flavoured with rose water

VG

Redrum92

Red Bubba / Ahmar Bubba #5. (forgot to get pics of #6, but they are basically the same)

Clearly a little off; never straightened out from the reveg. As it is, still get a sense of many things: the internode spacing is low, and the flowering stretch just doesnt exist whatsoever. They are very frosty, tight little buds. The ends of the calyxes/buds are already getting some color. The smell is impossible to describe. it's like every cannabis smell at the same time. There is skunk, dankness and rot, sweet rotting fruit, coffee/mocha, fresh citrus.... it's wild.

RB#5 day20f (1) - Copy.jpg
RB#5 day20f (2) - Copy.jpg
RB#5 day20f (3) - Copy.jpg

Fortunately, the clones are vigorous, so we'll get to see how they look flowering normally.
RB#3 #5 clone (1) - Copy.jpg
RB#3 #5 clone (2) - Copy.jpg

And also insanely dense/ low internode space. Some serious defoliating/pruning in the near future
RB#3 clone - Copy.jpg
RB#5 clone - Copy.jpg

Last edited:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The terps sound awesome, and maybe reflects two quite complex smelling parents (the Ahmar certainly has a lot going on terp wise), very encouraging and its great to get this info on the other plants even though, like you say, we can't judge the structure too much this time round because of the reveg thing.
I'm itching to pop some of these myself as soon as i have space... I NEED MORE SPACE !!!

Redrum92

The terps sound awesome, and maybe reflects two quite complex smelling parents (the Ahmar certainly has a lot going on terp wise), very encouraging and its great to get this info on the other plants even though, like you say, we can't judge the structure too much this time round because of the reveg thing.
I'm itching to pop some of these myself as soon as i have space... I NEED MORE SPACE !!!

Glad to be of some help! I'm excited for the second round. The clones seem to have very good vigor/decent veg speed so far, despite their parents having that slow Bubba thing going on. So, I'm hoping they could be ready in as little as a month for round 2

But even is this round, that smell is so unique, like i mentioned. I will take another crack at describing it eventually.

Clearly tons of potential here. Wish I had more space myself to pop the rest!

Redrum92

RB#5

RB#5 day25f (2) - Copy.jpg
RB#5 day25f (1) - Copy.jpg

RB#5 day25f (5) - Copy.jpg

RB#6
RB#6 day25f (1) - Copy.jpg
RB#6 day25f (7) - Copy.jpg

All 3 females from this definitely looking like winners. Can't wait to run these again and hopefully get a neater structure. Bud coming through very frosty anyway. Still struggling to describe the smell. Both are about the same: definitely sweet, mostly floral/perfume/sweet chemicals, but also some slight hint of rotting fruit, also maybe a hint of coffee/mocha. Quite a bouquet.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
excellent, and some red hues coming in there too!
number 3 more bubba leaning and 5,6 more Ahmar dominant by the sounds of it... but there are quite a few similarities between the two in the first place so hard to say...
VG

Redrum92

Everybody has come down! #5 and #6 just come down, #3 smoking absolutely amazing. #3 and #5 will be run again (#6 clone failed and i didnt notice until it was too late. All as well, i didnt have space for 3 anyway)

RB#6 day34f (2) - Copy.jpg
RB#6 day34f (3) - Copy.jpg
RB#6 day36f - Copy.jpg
RB#6 day39f (4) - Copy.jpg
RB#6 day39f (2) - Copy.jpg

RB#6 finish (2) - Copy.jpg

And the clones just got repotted. They were quite rootbound, and dont look perfect, but still vigorous as heck. I imagine with the new space theyll be blasting off.

RB#3 #5 clonerun2 (1) - Copy.jpg

Last edited:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
wow they came out pretty stacked ! great looking buds that look very frosty and dense. Glad the smoke is good on number 3 and i look forward to hearing more about the other two.
The new clones both look like decent little bushes already and should take off for sure.
thanks,

Redrum92

Look how much they blew up! It's only been 5 days since that last set of pics... and this is with a significant amount of defoliating!! Shocking veg vigor for a bubba (and in soil, not hydro), but that is clearly a bubba bush. And, again, i took off probably at least 1/3 of buds/shoots and 1/2 the leaf.

(#3 left, #5 right)

RB#3 #5 runB (1) - Copy.jpg
RB#3 #5 runB (2) - Copy.jpg

They are looking much happier than the reveg-stuck ones. Definitely solid genetics, just didnt treat them right the first time. The bud from the first batch smells amazing, but i bet the bud from the second run will be much more photogenic.