What's new

Questions on DIY 4x4 table stand

Stone

Hey IC,

I need to build a table stand for a 4x4 tray.

It will be in a 5x5 tent, so no real size constraints on width.
But I need to keep it as short as possible to not lose plant height.

I’ve been planning on PVC and fittings to make a 5 leg table.
Square top, legs at the corners, and a pvc connecting through the middle with the 5th leg in the center of that.

What size PVC do you think is thick enough?
I don’t want to thicker than needed for price.

What other options have you used for tables?

Lastly, I’m not opposed to buying premade if the price is close.

Thanks in advance,
Stone

_ross_

Hey IC,

I need to build a table stand for a 4x4 tray.

It will be in a 5x5 tent, so no real size constraints on width.
But I need to keep it as short as possible to not lose plant height.

I’ve been planning on PVC and fittings to make a 5 leg table.
Square top, legs at the corners, and a pvc connecting through the middle with the 5th leg in the center of that.

What size PVC do you think is thick enough?
I don’t want to thicker than needed for price.

What other options have you used for tables?

Lastly, I’m not opposed to buying premade if the price is close.

Thanks in advance,
Stone

I have built 3 tables myself over the years.

I've had success making a square top that fits into the lip on the 4x4 tray along with an exact replica 4x4 for the bottom as well. connect the two squares with 4 legs, you won't need a 5th running down the middle. The length of the vertical supports can be changed to modify the height.

I would recommend using 1 inch PVC.

You will need 8 3-way connectors, 32ish feet of PVC for the squares and then as many feet for the vertical support. I think mine are only around 12-18 inches which is enough to get a drain valve and tubing underneath. I recommend using a ratchet type PVC cutter and not a hand saw to make the cuts as it will make it much cleaner(no PVC dust from cutting and the lines will be crisp).

Dime

There's not much difference in price maybe 10-15% . I used inch and a half abs,it's dirt cheap unless you need to drink from it and it's stronger. Compare your fitting prices if you want to save money. I made a frame for my boat tarp from abs to keep the water from puddling and elbows and tees were pretty cheap.

Stone

I have built 3 tables myself over the years.

I've had success making a square top that fits into the lip on the 4x4 tray along with an exact replica 4x4 for the bottom as well. connect the two squares with 4 legs, you won't need a 5th running down the middle. The length of the vertical supports can be changed to modify the height.

I would recommend using 1 inch PVC.

You will need 8 3-way connectors, 32ish feet of PVC for the squares and then as many feet for the vertical support. I think mine are only around 12-18 inches which is enough to get a drain valve and tubing underneath. I recommend using a ratchet type PVC cutter and not a hand saw to make the cuts as it will make it much cleaner(no PVC dust from cutting and the lines will be crisp).
I was going back and forth on using bottom (floor) horizontal supports.
Do you think a single center post in a 3rd cross section, or the floor horizontals would offer more support?
I’m guessing the floor supports.
Thanks for the input!

_ross_

I was going back and forth on using bottom (floor) horizontal supports.
Do you think a single center post in a 3rd cross section, or the floor horizontals would offer more support?
I’m guessing the floor supports.
Thanks for the input!

In theory yes but having more will make it stronger but it might be getting to the point of overkill and you will be making the cuts more complex and adding PVC cost.

From my experience once you have made the two faces and connect them with 4 legs it will be extremely sturdy. Once you make what is basically a rectangular cube from 1" PVC it is extremely sturdy and you won't need anymore supports. Unless you are planning on walking on it I would almost guarantee you don't need anymore support.

Latest posts

Latest posts