What's new

Question about Polymer pistols

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran

i watch paul a lot. he got pretty good expansion with those rounds in meat and watermelon but i haven't seen much expansion with those same rounds in ballistic gel.

his simulation is probably a better indicator for real life.

i'm more interested in the 22wmr from federal. it gets 13.5" in gel at 1350 fps with great expansion from a 3" barrel.

and 1450 fps with 16" penetration from a 4.5" barrel.

both of these guys do common sense reviews with no drama or hype.

the first one is a good ole boy from kentucky who is one of the best pistol shots i've seen in a while.

Last edited:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
anyone here had any experience with the .327 Federal magnum ? it was intended to give near .357 performance in a much more user-friendly package, as well as 6 shots in a 5 shot cylinder size for concealed carry...

moose eater

i watch paul a lot. he got pretty good expansion with those rounds in meat and watermelon but i haven't seen much expansion with those same rounds in ballistic gel.

his simulation is probably a better indicator for real life.

i'm more interested in the 22wmr from federal. it gets 13.5" in gel at 1350 fps with great expansion from a 3" barrel.

and 1450 fps with 16" penetration from a 4.5" barrel.

both of these guys do common sense reviews with no drama or hype.

the first one is a good ole boy from kentucky that is one of the best pistol shots i've seen in a while.

.22 lr has never been a bad self-defense or offensive round at close range; Far superior performance in contrast to a .25 auto.

And subsonic rounds through a decent suppressor from a closed/locking action can be whisper quiet. Been there and done that with a .22 bolt-action rifle long ago; a friend's. Literally the only time I fired a suppressed weapon where you could here the pin hit the case and the projectile hit the paper. Incredible stuff.

A dentist in Az used to make some of the finest suppressors in the Country (he made the one referenced above); way better and more functional than the mass produced stuff like Sionics made back then for other weapons.

While .22lr in a handgun has some limitations, though not many, they're relatively cheap to shoot, with minimal loss of accuracy from any recoil, unlike heavier calibers. And more shooting means greater proficiency.

Last edited:

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
i'm going to throw in a video of the diamondback sidekick i'm interested in. from buffalo again.

9 rounds, double and single action, flip-out cylinder. has speed loaders available, interchangeable 22lr and 22 wmr cylinders.

punch tin cans all day for peanuts, then switch to 22 wmr for social work. same weapon, heft, size, feel and still almost no recoil.

you can fast forward to 9:23 and watch him dump it double action into a torso target.

then a little later he peppers a piece of steel at 60 yards.

the gun is only 300 bucks.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
i'd be calling the factory on problems if i bought a new gun. anything that most people might fix themselves is probably available on youtube...

St. Phatty

I bought the full-size Glock clone.

The Oregon Secretary of State already showed their bias by ruling that it takes effect at the earliest date possible, December 8.

"Requires a permit from law enforcement for people to purchase firearms."

But there is no organizational mechanism in place, to distribute the permits to consumers.

That means the "ability to purchase a firearm" part of the Second Amendment is suspended in Oregon, starting December 8.

There are 3 lawsuits challenging various parts of the new sort-of-law.

When the lawsuit seeking an emergency stay - because there is no organization in place to distribute permits - is heard by the judge, it comes down to "judicial discretion." "Will of the People" vs. "2nd Amendment protections", which one could argue is also 'Will of the People'.

So then it comes down to "Judicial Temperament". I'm pretty sure the judge hearing the lawsuit relating to lack of ability to distribute permits, is the judge that has prior history as an activist gun-grabber.

The normal backlog of NICS checks at Oregon gun dealers is about 100. Yesterday, it was 24,000.

The FFL dealer I talked with yesterday said they were implementing THEIR OWN "3 day" law. So they submit the normal paperwork, give the state 3 business days to reply, then go ahead and release the firearm that was being held for the consumer.

Overall Measure 114 shows how different Rural Oregon is from Urban Oregon.

The obvious move is to allow counties to determine their own firearms laws, and to NOT allow Multnomah county to determine firearms policies in rural counties.

Personally, I favor Secession - from the United States - but that is going off on a Tangent, twice in the same thread.

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
My nightstand pistol is an M&P .40 C and a 12 ga pump close by with an extended mag and a light with a pressure switch .
Say what you want about .40 but Im very comfortable shooting it and stuffed with 180 grain HST it is going to give someone with bad intent a very lousy day.
The trigger sucked when I bought it so years ago I sent it to Dan Burwell who dropped the trigger to about 4 lbs., and added an index point. I find it a bit hard to conceal during the summer when wearing lighter clothing but come fall or winter that isnt a problem. Ive tried several holsters and finally settled on a Crossbreed Supertuck.
Latest purchase is a Sig P938 with a Desantis IWB holster which is a lot easier to carry, particularly in the summer due to it's small size and it mimics the much larger 1911 which I am very familiar with but dont enjoy carrying in a concealed fashion.
Mrs. Ahab likes her Charter Arms .38 . Nice little wheel gun that is easy for her to use and is light weight at about 15 oz. loaded but its capacity is only five rounds and Ive noticed she has been grabbing the 938 which is 6+1,and an extra magazine when she goes out, lately.
We practice weekly when we have time , shooting maybe 100-150 rounds each.
When it comes down to it, something is better than nothing be it a .22 or a .45 so use what you can shoot accurately and feel comfortable with.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Look around.... though it may not be a polymer weapon there is a company producing 80% receivers for the Mossberg 500. Lots of amazing off the shelf parts for that specific shotgun. ;)

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
there is a solution for this now. it is a horrible name, but there is a holster called the "CarJacker" on the market.
I mounted a Phantom Quickdraw magnetic mount low on the console of my truck , more or less above where your knee/thigh would be . Even when four wheeling it retains whatever i put there with zero problems.
It puts your firearm right there, no holster and ready to grab in an instant.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
I mounted a Phantom Quickdraw magnetic mount low on the console of my truck , more or less above where your knee/thigh would be . Even when four wheeling it retains whatever i put there with zero problems.
It puts your firearm right there, no holster and ready to grab in an instant.
i pull my 442 out of front pocket (my carry) and slip it between the seat & console. very snug fit, with grip open. right there at right hand, invisible to anyone else.

Latest posts

Latest posts