What's new

Pot growers deal self inflicted black eye to our credibility

G

This is just so ridiculous on so many levels I hardly know where to begin placing responsibility. For sure they shoud have acted like grown ups.

============================

$1.610 awarded over pot stench

By QUINCY CROMER

The Daily Journal

A Redwood Valley man was awarded a $1,610 verdict last week after a four-day jury trial against his former neighbors for damages caused by their marijuana growing operation.

The lawsuit was filed by James Kerr in Mendocino County Superior Court Sept. 17, 2004, alleging that his former tenants -- James and Nancy Matthews -- had created a nuisance and should be held liable.

According to California Civil Code, a nuisance is "anything which is injurious to health, or is indecent or offensive to the senses, so as to interfere with the comfortable enjoyment of life or property."

Kerr claimed the "skunk-like" stench caused by approximately 100 marijuana plants the Matthewses were growing interfered with the use and enjoyment of his property.

The lawsuit also claimed the Matthewses applied "toxic pesticides" to their marijuana plants, which were then sold to a local cannabis club.

Advertisement

The Matthewses -- represented by Timothy Morrison of Mason and Morrison in Ukiah -- filed a cross-complaint against Kerr, alleging intentional infliction of emotional distress, and both lawsuits were consolidated with Kerr's eviction case against his former tenants.

After winning on all counts and being awarded $1,610, Kerr said that even though the judgment amount was small, he feels his rights were vindicated.

"This wasn't about the money. It also wasn't about the people's right to legally grow and use medical marijuana, which I support," Kerr said.

"It's just that when people do grow marijuana, they have to be sensitive and respectful of their neighbors' rights too. And one of those rights is the right to not be assaulted by offensive odors day and night, for weeks or months on end."

Morrison said the Matthewses were permitted to grow medical marijuana under their rental agreement and that the verdict shows the nuisance was not significant.

"The Matthews position was, in a nutshell, that he (Kerr) had consented and actually put in his contract that they could grow medical marijuana on the premises, and they essentially accused him of harassing them to the point of inflicting emotional distress," Morrison said.

"I think the damages are likely attributable to the breach of contract. If they (the jury) had thought this was a significant nuisance, then we would not have seen a trivial verdict."

Morrison said the jury was presented other related information during the trial and awarded Kerr less than one-third of the jurisdictional limit of small-claims court.

"The jury heard that Mr. Kerr was growing some marijuana himself and smoking marijuana himself and actually contemplated putting a grow operation on his own home. He has unclean hands with this accusation," Morrison added.

"There was an immediate next door neighbor to the Matthews' legal growing operation who testified that there were no offensive odors, which the jury also heard."

With the claim against the Matthewses for using toxic chemicals on their medical marijuana, Kerr warned the public to be cautious when purchasing from local cannabis clubs.

"When people buy their medical marijuana from local pot clubs, they should definitely be careful about what they're getting," Kerr said. "Who knows what kind of toxic chemicals have been applied and what adverse health effects they might have."

http://www.ukiahdailyjournal.com/Stories/0,1413,91~3089~2900692,00.html

G

I would of never told that landlord in the first place. What a dick.

Sleepy

Veteran
so...

if i fart a lot, my neighbor can sue me, too??

this is really stupid!

only in california... :fsu:

G

Couldn't they have grown something other than skunk?

I lived in California in the Mid 80's when for 5 years all you could get was skunk.... Got a bit burned out on it for a while.

G

Just a pissing contest between nieghbors gone bad. Only in California huh, other states could learn a little about compassion from Califorinia.How the hell does he know what they spray on thier plants. Thats why I live in country, fuck a bunch of zero lot living.

Mo,

G

Thats why I live in country, fuck a bunch of zero lot living.

LOL.....amen, Mo.

With the freedom to grow comes the responsibility of seeing that your grow doesn't infringe on other's rights or on their quality of life. I love the smell of my garden but wouldn't want to have to smell it all day. You gotta come out for fresh air sometimes. These growers were irresponsible. Yeah, I know the guy gave them permission to grow, but he may not have had a hundred stinkers in mind when he did so.

G

How true SE, a little overkill if you ask me. Hey glad you got your old avatar back, it works best.:D

G

well, if the other neighbor said he couldnt smell anything, and the landlord was growing too.... the landlord was probably just smelling his own plants.... because obviously 100 plants smells more than whatever he was growing, right?

heh..

THC

G

Did you all get to the part where the landlord is exposed as a grower and med user himself? That's why I'm so disgusted. A grower doing this to another is just plain self destructive. Especially when, for a couple hundred bucks, perfectly good methods exist to deal with almost any level of cannabis smell.

Couldn't they have just signed on to ICmag or any other site and smoked a joint while they figured out a decent sized carbon scrubber?

<edit> Beat me to the point by a minute THC :D

G

Good point Caprichoso, I need to work on thinking more like that. Thanks for the lesson.

Mo, :wave:

G

Were these plants indoors or in the yard? I'm confused on this point.

Sounds like a bunch of a-holes all the way around. Has this been on Jerry Springer yet?

G

Caprichoso said:
Did you all get to the part where the landlord is exposed as a grower and med user himself? That's why I'm so disgusted.

:fsu: Yep... that's why I said he's a dick, and I stand by that statement. It's all just so ridiculous, using courts to settle such petty disputes, and I agree, it makes us all look bad.

G

Another question. I'm confused about the arrangement here. Was this an apartment complex? A rented house? A trailer park? If it's a trailer park, Jerry's knocking on the door now.

G

I ran across another article about this.. might help build a better picture of what was actually going on.. maybe I should take back my dick comment.. sounds like all parties involved were dicks. Looks like it had to do with rent more than odor.

EDWOOD VALLEY
Pot plants' smell costs couple $1,610

Saturday, June 4, 2005

By GLENDA ANDERSON
THE PRESS DEMOCRAT

A stink over an indoor pot garden ended up in a Mendocino County courtroom, where a jury awarded $1,610 to a Redwood Valley man who complained about the odor from his tenants' marijuana plants.

The landlord, James Kerr, said the stench became obnoxious after his tenants, James and Nancy Matthews, planted almost 100 pot plants in their garage last year.

"They had 100 skunks living next to me," said Kerr, whose home is 15 feet from his rental.

Kerr, a retired lawyer, tried to evict the tenants. When they refused to leave and stopped paying their rent, he filed a lawsuit contending the pot garden was a nuisance and seeking damages for breach of contract.

The trial is the latest dispute to arise over the stench from medical marijuana gardens in Mendocino County. In Ukiah and Willits, city officials are considering ordinances that would limit where marijuana can be grown within city limits.

Complaints about the smell have become common in Mendocino County, where pot gardens have openly flourished in back yards since California voters legalized medical marijuana in 1996.

Kerr said his lawsuit was not about the right to grow medical marijuana, a law he agrees with. In fact, he obtained a medical marijuana card and planted his own pot before discovering the odor problem.

The lawsuit was about neighborly consideration, he said.

"If you want to grow pot and you're authorized to do it, fine. But you can't do it at the expense of your neighbors," Kerr said.

Kerr gave the Matthewses permission to grow marijuana when they rented the house in early 2004, but said he believed they were going to grow a small amount for themselves, not dozens of plants for other medical marijuana patients. At the time of the agreement, he said he was unaware how pot smells when it ripens.

Kerr said he also worried that carcinogenic pesticides were being used to combat bugs on the plants.

He asked the Matthewses to reduce the smell and to provide information about their pesticide use, but they refused.

"It was none of his business," said Jim Matthews. He said Kerr never asked how many plants he planned to grow or for whom.

When the couple ignored his requests, Kerr gave the couple a 30-day eviction notice.

The Matthewses instead hired an attorney and quit paying rent. Jurors found the couple breached their rental contract by refusing to move.

After Kerr filed his lawsuit in September 2004, the Matthews filed a counter-claim against Kerr, which included infliction of emotional distress and breach of the rental covenant of quiet enjoyment. They claimed Kerr stalked them, following them in his car to see where they were going. The jury ruled against the counter charges.

Kerr said he feels vindicated by the jury award. But it wasn't much of a victory, said Timothy Morrison, attorney for the Matthewses.

"I think the case is inconsequential, the damages are so modest," he said.

The award likely was based on the cost and inconvenience of the eviction process, said Morrison.

He said Kerr inconvenienced jurors and unnecessarily tied up a courtroom by bringing such a trivial case to trial rather than working out a settlement.

The case had nothing to do with the odor of the marijuana, Matthews said.

He said it was about control. Kerr didn't like being ignored when he asked for information about pesticides, Matthews said.

"He ordered us to do something and we had the temerity to disobey the order," Matthews said.

G

There's always more to the story. Thanks GIS. That answered my questions.

tokinjoe

Stupid is as stupid does. Just goes to show, again, that people are stupid, and you can go to court and sue over anything....Only in America...