What's new

PLL Club. (if you don't know, now you know)

maree

The brown(black) and the blue are interchangeable.

Cheers for the above asa77sol! Thanks to you and the other very helpful people who've taken the time to offer very welcome advice, I can proceed with confidence. It's a relief to know that, when I flick the switch, nothing's gonna go bang or pop!

Yuru plants look sweet too. Had a quick look back through th ethread to see what you'd been up to bu tcould only find your week 6 pics (admittedly I've only gone back ten pages or so cos I have ot go out in a min). Would like to know more about your equipment and methodology. Did you post earlier in the thread?

Anyways, thanks again - this is exactly what I needed.

Phrenic

What is the cheapest website (pref US) that sells pl-l Lights, sockets and ballasts?

Any that sell the 2700k color spectrum?

I found http://www.planetbulbstore.com/t42g11sec.html has really good prices on PL-L lights. It's hard to find anything below 3000K but I did manage to find some 2700K bulbs on e-bay but for 10 dollars a light and they ended up being used (like me). The sockets I found at http://www.bulbs.com/eSpec.aspx?ID=...s&RefId=305&Ref2=Compact+Fluorescent+Screw-in and for ballasts I would go with 1000bulbs.com and get a workhorse 5 or workhorse 8 depending on their use.

someotherguy

Veteran
What is the cheapest website (pref US) that sells pl-l Lights, sockets and ballasts?

Any that sell the 2700k color spectrum?

high guy, here is a site where they sell bulbs from
18watts to 55watts and from 3000Kelvin to 6400Kelvin.

and here you can find ballasts, the Workhorse 8
is $38.14.

btw, for overall performance the 4100Kelvin is the best
spectrum for vegging and flowering, if all you get is one
bulb, make it a 4100.

peace, SOG

I am considering a 2x3000, 1x6500 all 55 watts. This is for a 20hx24wx15d cab. Would that be the best way to go? Or should I add one more? and if I do add one more does the workhorse 8 power 4 bulbs? as it seems the workhorse 7 only does 3?

someotherguy

Veteran
I am considering a 2x3000, 1x6500 all 55 watts. This is for a 20hx24wx15d cab. Would that be the best way to go? Or should I add one more? and if I do add one more does the workhorse 8 power 4 bulbs? as it seems the workhorse 7 only does 3?

the Workhorse 8 will power 4x 55watt bulbs just fine,
there are some who feel running the ballast at max
is a bad idea but myself and others have had no issues
running 4 bulbs.

as to your cab and what would be best i'd still recommend
the 4100K's and if it were me i'd be running 4x
4100K bulbs as that is the exact spectrum of a CMH.

although i have to admit that i don't flower under the
PL-L's but instead only use them for my cloning/vegging
op. (link in my sig)

actually, i'm just now upgrading my flowering op from
300watts of HPS to 400watts of CMH with the bulb on
the way and expected by the end of the week.

peace, SOG

btw, here is a link to the CMH thread in case you are unfamiliar with them.

Ceramic Metal Halide (CMH)

and some graphs that helped me to decide to switch.

I love CMH, if I didn't have to deal with the heat issues without making lots of noise that is what I would be pimping. I just don't want to deal with the heat issue, so flowering with this will be the must.

So, I was driving through the States today and figured out that I was going to pass right buy one of the home offices of one of those wonderful websites, so I called them and stopped in and picked up some goodies.

I now just need to find a diagram of how to hook up a workhorse 8 to 4 lamps... Anyone? :)

RyuGanjabusa

Which set of bulbs would you choose?

1 - 5500K 3950 lumens 93 cri 55w
3200K 4150 lumens 93 cri 55w

or

2 - 2700K 4800 lumens 82 cri 55w
6500K 4800 lumens 82 cri 55w

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
the Workhorse 8 will power 4x 55watt bulbs just fine,
there are some who feel running the ballast at max
is a bad idea but myself and others have had no issues
running 4 bulbs.

I've never tried running 4x55w bulbs on a workhorse 8.

The manufacturer rates the workhorse 8 to be able to support 4x50 or 3x55. I'm simply going with the manufacturers recommendation by suggesting 3 55w per workhorse.

They have diagrams for any combination they recommend on their site.

If you want to overdrive your ballast, be my guest. It may handle it just fine. I'm not going to find out and risk a fire or lighting failure just to save myself $30 on a second ballast. :) That's my logic. I'm sticking by it.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
From what I have read, running 4 55w lamps on the Workhorse 8 voids the warranty. Obviously the manufacturer doesn't think it's a good idea.

420ish

From what I have read, running 4 55w lamps on the Workhorse 8 voids the warranty. Obviously the manufacturer doesn't think it's a good idea.

when i made my 4 bulb light with a workhorse 8 ,everything i read said you could run 4.now they dont recommend it and say 3.im thinking they didnt want to cover any more failures under warrenty.with that said my light has been running 18/6 for at least two years now running 4 55 watt 4100k and they are the cheap ones from 1000bulb.

fatigues

Veteran
when i made my 4 bulb light with a workhorse 8 ,everything i read said you could run 4.now they dont recommend it and say 3.im thinking they didnt want to cover any more failures under warrenty.with that said my light has been running 18/6 for at least two years now running 4 55 watt 4100k and they are the cheap ones from 1000bulb.

Agreed. 4x55w with a Workhorse 8 has been absolutely fine with ZERO problems at all.

My guess is that if there has been any issue which has developed in relation to these ballasts, it's been because of continuous use at max wattage with the ballast being located in an area without good ventilation.

I have had no problems at all with them and there have been very few -- if any -- reports on ICM of any growers having difficulties. The negative comments appear to be attributed to those magical, mystical, anonymous crowd referred to as the "I've heards" and "some people are reporting".

Meh. This is a tempest in a teapot. Use 'em at 4x55w without guilt or fear and grow yourself a quarter pound of happiness.

Tilt

Agreed. 4x55w with a Workhorse 8 has been absolutely fine with ZERO problems at all.

My guess is that if there has been any issue which has developed in relation to these ballasts, it's been because of continuous use at max wattage with the ballast being located in an area without good ventilation.

I have jad no problems at all with them and there have been very few -- if any -- reports on ICM of any growers having difficulties. The negative comments appear to be attributed to those magical, mystical, anonymous crowd referred to as the "I've heards" and "some people are reporting".

Meh. This is a tempest in a teapot. Use 'em at 4x55w without guilt or fear and grow yourself a quarter pound of happiness.

Agreed. Most ballasts fail when they are subjected to being turned on and off frequently such as entering and leaving a room. Most grow ballasts only turn on once a day and only after a 12 to 6 hour cool down time. Running them well ventilated will allow them to be ran at there rated load rather than the safety margin the company uses to cover there ass saying it has a 220 watt load rating but only use 165 watts just to be sure.

kzaman1

Fulham workhorse

Fulham workhorse

Some say it is unwise to run 4x55w in to keep below the maximum 220w...

But i wonder. What if you were to run 3x55 and a 50w? Can the fulham ballasts handle different wattage bulbs... This would but the total at 215w so should be safe...

Also... Does anybody happen to know where to get either the workhorse 7 or 8 in the UK? I ask as in the uk you would need the 230v version which im struggling to find...
I see the 120 and 277 but not 230. :-(

I do see the osrams but i'd rather have one single ballast as opposed to 2 x QTPDL255
Plus the fulham workhorses are so much simpler to wire... I've seen a few folk wiring up the osrams and they still perplex me. lol...