What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Plants Can ‘Talk’ To Each Other by Clicking Their Roots

Storm Shadow

Veteran
http://inhabitat.com/plants-can-talk-to-each-other-by-clicking-their-roots/

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/13601385

Watch what you say around your houseplants — they can probably hear you, and they might even be talking about you. The idea that plants communicate with each other is normally based in science-fiction or fantasy, but new research out of The University of Western Australia reveals that this actually may be the case. UWA Postdoctoral Research Fellow Dr. Monica Gagliano has discovered that our green friends not only react to sounds, but they can also communicate with each other via “clicking noises.”

Gardeners have long believed that what music they play affects the growth of their plants, but Dr. Gagliano’s research, done with colleagues Professor Daniel Robert at the University of Bristol (UK) and Professor Stefano Mancuso at the University of Florence (Italy), shows that the roots of young plants emit and react to particular sounds.
“Everyone knows that plants react to light, and scientists also know that plants use volatile chemicals to communicate with each other, for instance, when danger – such as a herbivore – approaches,” Dr Gagliano said. ”I was working one day in my herb garden and started to wonder if maybe plants were also sensitive to sounds – why not? – so I decided as a scientist to find out.”

Through a series of experiments, Dr Gagliano and her team found that the roots of young corn plants made regular clicking noises. They also found that when the roots were suspended in water, they ‘leaned’ towards the source of any sound that was “emitted in the region of 220Hz”. Interestingly, this is within the frequency range that the roots themselves emit.

The team’s research, published in the leading international journal Trends in Plant Science, concludes that the discovery of plant communication needs serious investigation as it “leaves serious gaps (in) our current understanding of the sensory and communicatory complexity of these organisms.” Gagliano also added that ”it is very likely that some form of sensitivity to sound and vibrations also plays an important role in the life of plants.”
So if you notice your houseplants leaning towards you, it could be because they enjoy the sound of your dulcet tones.

:ying:

Storm Shadow

Veteran
http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0037382

Out of Sight but Not out of Mind: Alternative Means of Communication in Plants

Current knowledge suggests that the mechanisms by which plants communicate information take numerous forms. Previous studies have focussed their attention on communication via chemicals, contact and light; other methods of interaction between plants have remained speculative. In this study we tested the ability of young chilli plants to sense their neighbours and identify their relatives using alternative mechanism(s) to recognised plant communication pathways. We found that the presence of a neighbouring plant had a significant influence on seed germination even when all known sources of communication signals were blocked. Furthermore, despite the signalling restriction, seedlings allocated energy to their stem and root systems differently depending on the identity of the neighbour. These results provide clear experimental evidence for the existence of communication channels between plants beyond those that have been recognized and studied thus far.

idiit

Veteran
i read a botany article month or so ago that showed plants responses to stress by measuring emf (electromagnetic frequency) emissions. when a plant was torn apart by an animal the plant emitted strong emf responses. the other plants in the room were affected by the one traumatized plant's emissions (by measuring their emf responses).

i like to sit with my girls and just enjoy them. it's nice to think they may comprehend in their plant way my appreciation for them.

In regards to music, Make sure you dont play music with lots of bass. The plants will feel the vibration from the bass and think it's thunder, In return they think the Bass or thunder is a storm approaching so the stomata on the leaves close up, in preperation for the storm.

abellguy

This is confirmation that music and interaction make a difference. That is so awesome I have always believed they respond to your attitude and moods throughout their cycle and this article shows that there is an interaction going on there that has yet to be fully understood. Awesome read :rasta:

waveguide

Veteran
proof once again that a lot of people need to shut their mouths and start opening their minds, ears, and hearts.

except of course, that there's no profit (or social coercion) in having consumers be aware of this...

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
What is going to happen to the vegetarians and vegans when we discover that plants are the most intelligent form of life? :D

HOW IS IT THAT BEAVERS IN AUSTRALIA BUILD THE EXACT SAME DAMS AS THOSE IN NORTH AMERICA?

ALL ANIMALS AND PLANT-LIFE ARE CAPABLE OF 'NON-VERBAL' COMMUNIATION, IT IS SIMPLY THAT WE, AS HUMANS, HAVE FORGOTTEN OUR DIVINE NATURE.

AMAZING THAT MANY PEOPLE CANT EVEN BUILD THE SAME 2 SYSTEMS ON THIS SITE WHEN THERE ARE PIC FOR PIC TUTORIALS... WE CHOSE OUR OWN FALL FROM GRACE.

ALL LIFE DESERVES EQUAL COMPASSION AND RESPECT. IT IS SIMPLY A MENTAL ISSUE THAT WE AS HUMANS ARE NOT ABLE TO RESPECT THE REST OF LIFE,... ONE SOURCE

I AM YOU

I AM YOU

YOU ARE IN MY EYE

BASK IN THE ONENESS WITH ME

BE

PERSPECTIVE AND FRAMING CREATES THE "DIFFERENCES" THAT WE OBSERVE IN THE WORLD

WHERE DOES THE SUN END AND THE SKY TRULY BEGIN?

WHY DO WE CHOSE TO SEE THE CRACKS AND DIFFERENCES
AND NOT OUR SIMILARITIES

ARE YOU AND I NOT SIMPLY DIFFERENT CONFIGURATIONS OF QUARKS, PROTONS, AND ELECTRONS COALESCING IN THE FABRIC OF THE UNIVERSE?

I DO NOT SEE WHERE YOU END AND I BEGIN

I FEEL US

I FEEL ALL

FEEL WITH ME

splish, splash
i was taking a bath
long about a saturday night
rub-a-dub
just relaxing in the tub
thinking everything was all right

Click roots twice for protekt, three times for koolbloom powder

Click roots twice for protekt, three times for koolbloom powder

I been listening to my sweeties, and they wanna get spoiled !!

3314727762_9764d16c76_o.jpg

Growcephus

Veteran
Very interesting....

Read/saw an article about how plants emit chems as signals for help when they are attacked by certain pests. The chems they emit attract insects who prey on the attackers, and they use specific chems to attract the specific insect that preys on the specific type of pest chewing on them.

Definitely more going on than we are aware of...

I don't have a "green thumb" by any means, but I think my plants are giving me credit for the effort anyway.

:)

Latest posts

Latest posts