What's new

Photographing grow tent / small room - what kind of lens?

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
not a bad shot! what would you like to improve?
@f2 you are giving up a lot of clarity for a fast shutter speed
if you are hand holding i can dig it man, but if you are shooting off a tripod i would stop down to f8 and maybe even f16

goingrey

not a bad shot! what would you like to improve?
@f2 you are giving up a lot of clarity for a fast shutter speed
if you are hand holding i can dig it man, but if you are shooting off a tripod i would stop down to f8 and maybe even f16
Yeah I wasn't thinking about the f number at all, the auto mode gods gave me a 2.

But great tip with raising it for the tripod. Much improved clarity at f8.

f8.jpg

But yeah the field of view is still an issue of course.

With the old pocket camera my main gripe is the lack of dynamic range. All the time I end up with lit parts blown out and shaded parts totally dark. It's why I went with the lit CMOS sensor a7 III. And so far I like it, just need some more lenses hehe.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
a higher end camera will have a better dynamic range of course, but we can work with what you have and get you the results you want
your pics dont looks bad

but of course! more lenses
/they might give you the field of view you want
check the used market on amazon or someplace reputable
is there a camera shop in your area

Last edited:

Elrond

I use some Canon FD lenses with a cheap adapter. You can get the FD 24/2.8 and 35/2.8 for under $100. They are great manual lenses. Check out their reviews on Youtube.

goingrey

Only if you need an adapter who translates the autofocus. Not really necessary for plants. Non-AF adapters are available for a few bucks.
Check out kentfaith.com for cheap adapters.
Good tip thanks.

I use some Canon FD lenses with a cheap adapter. You can get the FD 24/2.8 and 35/2.8 for under $100. They are great manual lenses. Check out their reviews on Youtube.
EU prices seem closer to 200 EUR, even more from stores, add shipping and it's not far off from the Samyang 14mm 1.8 that is on sale for 300 EUR. Which is also manual btw so I guess the question is which has the better optics. And Samyang 24/2.8 autofocus would be even cheaper, 230 EUR.

goingrey

Ok so after some investigation, my pocket camera zoomed totally out (4.5mm), which is an ok capture of the room, would be the equivalent of a 25mm lens. So the correct choice would be a 24mm lens I guess.

So I'm thinking Sony FE 24mm F2.8 G or Viltrox 24mm F1.8.

Sony would also have a 24mm F1.4 GM but it's over twice the price of the 2.8 and maybe for this application little benefit?

Elrond

Good tip thanks.

EU prices seem closer to 200 EUR, even more from stores, add shipping and it's not far off from the Samyang 14mm 1.8 that is on sale for 300 EUR. Which is also manual btw so I guess the question is which has the better optics. And Samyang 24/2.8 autofocus would be even cheaper, 230 EUR.
There are some more expensive versions, but also cheaper ones that aren‘t any less in quality, see photo.

You can also get a Vivitar or Tokina lens for only 50€. Or a Yashica Contax mount lens.

Attachments

• IMG_4482.jpeg
    IMG_4482.jpeg
    849.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4484.jpeg
    IMG_4484.jpeg
    934 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4483.jpeg
    IMG_4483.jpeg
    809.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4485.jpeg
    IMG_4485.jpeg
    535.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

goingrey

There are some more expensive versions, but also cheaper ones that aren‘t any less in quality, see photo.

You can also get a Vivitar or Tokina lens for only 50€. Or a Yashica Contax mount lens.
Those are some sweet deals, less than the rent for Sony gear from the local shop (85 EUR)!

Is it safe to buy this kind of used lens online, are they often scratched or have something else to worry about?

Elrond

Those are some sweet deals, less than the rent for Sony gear from the local shop (85 EUR)!

Is it safe to buy this kind of used lens online, are they often scratched or have something else to worry about?
Well, you have to check the description and the photos thoroughly. Ask questions when in doubt. If you have any doubts, don’t buy. I bought a lot of used lenses online and most of them were good.

goingrey

Latest posts

Latest posts