What's new

People growing their own don't buy much pot

Gry

Veteran
Cannabis is more regulated than food crops are. If any labs are lying about their test results that is a different issue. Remember don't do the crime if you cant do the time.

Protection for the consumer has traditionally been lacking , a quick glance at all the effort put into killing Senator Warren's recent effort at consumer protection is a decent illustration of how things actually are here.
If one would like an example more directly related to cannabis, then I sadly offer as an example, the embarrassment around the pens.
Each time I have seen a discussion of testing, it is never long before one sees mention of the various methods of how to scam, modify, or get around such testing are brought forward.
I see it as being part of the human condition, and find that for me, it results in a greater sense of appreciation for the integrity of the individuals with whom I have the good fortunate of being able to deal with.

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
I don't really see legal cannabis that is sold commercially being all that affected by the fact you can grow your own. Sure for people like us who were doing it since before there was a legal market buying from a dispensary is not a thing, or is it? Situations and options vary all over the map. For most of the time I've been growing I've been on disability and living on a very fixed limited income. When I first started out the money saved from growing my own vs buying thru the black market over the course of a year was enough to pay for all the equipment, nutrients and various supplies needed to grow my own and even then I still came out ahead after all was said and done. Unfortunately as the years moved on the cost of everything else (utilities, insurance, services, feed, etc.) kept going up making it harder and harder to afford the next round of things that needed to be replaced to keep my grows going. Along with that the progression of my disabilities made it harder and harder to keep up with the physical side of growing, especially after the Opioid crisis hit and the government's main response was to take pain pills away from almost everyone. There was a time where I thought I would never have to buy weed again and as a bonus the weed I was growing was orders of magnitude better then what I could buy on the street. I also now had everything I needed to make my own hash or oils which was something I rarely ever found on the street and usually was disappointed by. Then the changes of the cost of living combined with ever increasing physical limitations changed everything. Fortunately at that time a neighboring state went legal and while they didn't have much in the way of dispensaries all of which required special permits that were easy but expensive to get, there started to emerge a different way of marketing where you could attend "parties" that among other things had vendors. These vendors were basically people that had been growing on a large scale for some time but found themselves blocked from getting into the legal market by selling to dispensaries because of licensing and other regulations. So they exploited a loophole in the laws where they could share what they grew legally but they couldn't charge money. So they just changed what they called the money they would receive for their product. You weren't paying for the product, you were making a donation to the party. This worked pretty good for the first couple of years and it allowed people safe access to high quality product at prices better then the dispensaries and better or at least equal to the streets. So after sampling what was possible thru these "parties" I stopped growing, not because I wanted to but rather it was just becoming too difficult to continue. Thru these "parties" I could get stuff as good or better then what I could grow and have access to a far greater variety then I could ever afford growing my own. Life was good for a couple of years until Trump became president and his first attorney general (Jeff Sessions) refused to cooperate with the changing attitudes towards marijuana. Practically overnight the parties got busted and disappeared. which left me no access anymore other then dispensaries that require an annual membership that had a $200 fee and required you to go thru a "doctor" who would approve most anyone for an additional $200. The timing was bad though, this all came about at a time where I was really struggling financially and it would take me several months to be able to save enough to get my "card" and gain access to the dispensaries. For the same reasons growing was not an option, plus that was still hindered by my worsening disabilities. So as much as I hated it, I just did without and after 4 or 5 months I found I could continue to go without indefinitely. Sure I still missed it and if a friend ever offered me some or an opportunity to acquire some fell in my lap I would take advantage but unfortunately where I'm at I don't have any friends that grow or even use Cannabis and there isn't much of a street market in my area these days because of nearby dispensaries. So I've been Cannabis free for going on 5 years now. I really don't see this changing for me going forward unless one of two things happen, one would be if I came into a large sum of money like hitting the lotto money or two if my state made it legal to grow and then I could grow my own outdoors because I could do that in my own yard cheaper and with less physical strain then growing indoors.

The point to the above story is that while if you already know how to grow good weed and can manage the cost and the time and attention it requires then yes, you're not likely to go to the dispensaries. If however you are like millions of other people who are barely making ends meet and losing sleep because you struggle to find enough time in the day to keep up with work and other responsibilities you might have then you're going to be more likely to take advantage of dispensaries and bud shops then you are to start growing your own. Especially if you're fortunate enough to live in a state that has gone fully recreational and therefore have access to a thriving legal cannabis market. Although you would have to be careful in comparing things if for example you live in a state like California for example where the market has been established the longest and you have many places competing for people's business. From what I've heard about how it is in California I can easily picture how it might be really hard for the legal stores to get ahead especially since the resources for those wishing to grow their own have been well established and there is a favorable climate for growing outdoors. The biggest hinderance I hear about these days from that part of the country is water shortages. For people like me with fixed limited incomes and failing health it's more of a challenge and taking advantage of buying legal weed might be more of a viable option. Where I imagine places like those west of the Mississippi struggle the most is capturing the youth market as young people are most likely to have the health, energy, time and finances to more easily pursue growing high quality weed on there own. At least that's how it appears for now from the eastern side of the US. Who knows though, more and more states on this side of the country are going fully legal and that could change things dramatically but it's all still too new to fairly guage at this point.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
You surely took advantage of those parties and connected with the other growers, didn't you? I have way more dope than I can think of anything to do with, and two tents full, making more. Come on over and get some before I get caught with it.

Sessions is a piece of crap that folded like a cheap chair under pressure from the NWO PTB.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
You may have seen footage of nugs being squeezed that show resin dripping and running out of the buds ?
That is what Kut came up with. He started out squeezing nugs with a hair iron and parchment paper...
Allows for the extraction of the goods with no chemicals what so ever.
The results are a shear delight. Frankly, the results from this are so delightful and effective,
that I see no need to deal with other routes which I did previously use.
The mere sight of the initials NEM, leave a smile on my face.
You did well with it.

Wasn't it SoilGrown that came up with the wife's hair curler trick? Same dude?

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
Years before I ever heard of rosin I had some friends that made a huge block of dry sift hash. They jacked up the corner of a trailer house and set it down on it. They said the liquid that oozed out of that block was fantastic. Forward about 10 years and people are using hair curlers.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Reading that made the light bulb in my head turn on. Of course, first get rid of the green plant matter, then squish. If I can ever get trics to produce, I will have to get some screens and make hash. Haven't had any hash since HS back in 73. We got primo, sometimes. I couldn't afford it.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's been years since I took the Rosin press out of storage. I enjoy smoking the flowers more.

EastCoastGambit

The most labor intensive process I've seen is that live Rosin. Fresh frozen into bubble bags. Take those goods and freeze dry them, Then into micron bags and into the Rosin press. I bet it tastes amazing but that is a labor of love. I'm not into concentrates as I enjoy that old school flower but I also enjoy just straight kif as well for a treat.

kalopatchkid

Veteran
The Hawaii dispensary industry keeps trying to attack medical home growers because they are having trouble turning a profit, and they want to blame growers for it. They already have a quasi-monopoly with just 2 licenses per island, and each licensee can have 2-3 retail stores. Now they want to monopolize even further by allowing those few license holders to operate more retail stores and production facilities.

They got these million dollar, state of the art facilities, producing flavorless trash while I'm over here vegging outdoor under 10w LED Bulbs, in a ghetto ass shed with barely any overhead and my shit smells and tastes 10x better.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Now they want to make growing 7 plants a felony in Cali. Back to putting cannabis uses in prison.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
is it the "regulate cannabis industry" that wants this or is it some other state organization?

See post above.. I would be surprised if it passes. Then again the prison business has declined since weed was made Legal in Ca. The loss of profits is the driving factor.

AB 1725
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...02120220AB1725

Existing law, the California Uniform Controlled Substances Act (the act) , as amended by the Control, Regulate and Tax Adult Use of Marijuana Act (AUMA) , enacted by the voters at the November 8, 2016, statewide general election, makes it a crime to plant, cultivate, harvest, dry, or process more than 6 living cannabis plants without a commercial cannabis license. The act makes those actions a misdemeanor for a person over 18 years of age but less than 21 years of age and a misdemeanor for a person over 18 years of age, unless specified conditions exist, including various prior offenses, in which case the actions may be punished as a felony.
AUMA authorizes the Legislature to amend its provisions with a 23 vote of both houses to further its purposes and intent.
This bill would amend AUMA to make it a felony, punishable by 16 months or 2 or 3 years in county jail, for a person over 18 years of age to plant, cultivate, harvest, dry, or process more than 6 living cannabis plants. By increasing the penalty for a crime, this bill would impose a state-mandated local program.
The California Constitution requires the state to reimburse local agencies and school districts for certain costs mandated by the state. Statutory provisions establish procedures for making that reimbursement.
This bill would provide that no reimbursement is required by this act for a specified reason.

Statutes affected:
AB1725: 11358 HSC
01/27/22 - Introduced: 11358 HSC
AB 1725: 11358 HSC

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
Cooperate cannabis views every dollar the black market earn as money they were supposed to make. I do not see any way around it. Small grows, both legal and black market have a target on their back.

I'm sure the story is more complicated than that. But in my opinion it likely all boils down to directing as much money where they want it as possible.

Sub24ox7

Legal cannabis unfortunately seems to be another enemy to peace loving hippies. I wouldn’t support nor spit on them if they were on fire. It’s a shame. It’s a messed up situation.

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
See post above.. I would be surprised if it passes. Then again the prison business has declined since weed was made Legal in Ca. The loss of profits is the driving factor.

AB 1725
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...02120220AB1725

Existing law, the California Uniform Controlled Substances Act (the act) , as amended by the Control, Regulate and Tax Adult Use of Marijuana Act (AUMA) , enacted by the voters at the November 8, 2016, statewide general election, makes it a crime to plant, cultivate, harvest, dry, or process more than 6 living cannabis plants without a commercial cannabis license. The act makes those actions a misdemeanor for a person over 18 years of age but less than 21 years of age and a misdemeanor for a person over 18 years of age, unless specified conditions exist, including various prior offenses, in which case the actions may be punished as a felony.
AUMA authorizes the Legislature to amend its provisions with a 23 vote of both houses to further its purposes and intent.
This bill would amend AUMA to make it a felony, punishable by 16 months or 2 or 3 years in county jail, for a person over 18 years of age to plant, cultivate, harvest, dry, or process more than 6 living cannabis plants. By increasing the penalty for a crime, this bill would impose a state-mandated local program.
The California Constitution requires the state to reimburse local agencies and school districts for certain costs mandated by the state. Statutory provisions establish procedures for making that reimbursement.
This bill would provide that no reimbursement is required by this act for a specified reason.

Statutes affected:
AB1725: 11358 HSC
01/27/22 - Introduced: 11358 HSC
AB 1725: 11358 HSC

Yeah, I already read that link's story/article

Maybe the state should look at all those shop lifters (and the flash looting mobs, not to mention the trains that are being hit too) that no body is doing anything about. If the prison systems in Cali are hurting so bad, they have plenty of other stuff they can look to fill it with.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Passing Cali legal cannabis was a massive error. When people voted they didn't take time to read what they were voting for. The tired old excuse of we can fix it later never works.

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
Passing Cali legal cannabis was a massive error.

Wow. That's really hard to read on a cannabis forum. Now of course I don't know the specifics of what was passed in Cali but don't we all believe that the plant should be free to grow and use?

We are suffering from inept legislation in Canada as well . . . , and greedy legal producers, and crappy legal product at ridiculous prices and continued BM growers (both good ones and bad ones) but I would still rather have it 'legal enough' . . . where I can grow and smoke legally for my own needs . . . than back to prohibition - even the benign prohibition we had pre-legalization.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Lots of people see the words legal without reading what's in the bill. P64 had many issues. There was no reason to undermine p215. Legal p64 was nothing but a grab for profits and making it very difficult if not impossible for any without deep pockets to get into the legal arena.

Latest posts

Latest posts