What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Diary PCBuds mini-grow

PCBuds

She's warm and dry at the top.

Fricken instruments...

29%, ... Yeah whatever, my skin ain't flaking off...

I should sleep on the ceiling to dry out.

I feel pretty wet...

Guess who's drunk and stoned??

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Yeah I wouldn't trust that rh meter, but.. also, that is not a good location for it to be put in. Actually, it's possibly the worst place to measure temp and rh. Near ceiling = you will be getting higher temps. Near lights /heat source = you will be getting lower rh.

PCBuds

Yeah I wouldn't trust that rh meter, but.. also, that is not a good location for it to be put in. Actually, it's possibly the worst place to measure temp and rh. Near ceiling = you will be getting higher temps. Near lights /heat source = you will be getting lower rh.

I should really put a fan up there.
I've got no circulation and my plant last summer got moldy.

I can really feel the heat when I stand on a chair to take pictures.
My furnace doesn't have a fan and all the heat stays on the ceiling.

PCBuds

It's pretty cold and dry.

It does get a bit warmer when the lights come on, and when the furnace kicks in, a wave of heat floats over towards the plants.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Honestly it's hard to belive your humidity is that low. Do you have another one to cross check that they work well and are ok? My experience with similar products (cheap "weather stations") was bad, most of them are over 20-30 rh% off, that's basically worse than guessing your humidity.

PCBuds

I've got almost a dozen of them and they are all cheapies.

SuperBadGrower recommended the round white one saying that they are the most accurate of the cheap hygrometers so I bought 3 of them.

The big "weather station" really is a piece of crap.
I'm going to throw it out.

PCBuds

There, that's better.
It's still pretty low humidity though.

It's at the height of the top of the plants.

Sampas92

Just newbin
Honestly it's hard to belive your humidity is that low. Do you have another one to cross check that they work well and are ok? My experience with similar products (cheap "weather stations") was bad, most of them are over 20-30 rh% off, that's basically worse than guessing your humidity.
Exploziv, i also have cheap meters..would you point out a product that you know that its good and reliable and not too expensive?
Thanks

PCBuds

More pictures of the closet plant using my camera flash.
(I'm having a hard time taking a half-decent picture of the window plants.)

Main cola.

Side colas.

PCBuds

I think that I might be getting some erroneous readings?? Lol

Oh well, I don't really care. Even if it's off by 20%, I'm okay with 50% RH.

It's in the summer, and it start reading 60%-85% that I start being concerned.

Soil height...

Canopy height...

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Exploziv, i also have cheap meters..would you point out a product that you know that its good and reliable and not too expensive?
Thanks

I built my own rh readers with DTH21 and SHT21 sensors, which i calibrated and cross checked myself. They are like 2% off full scale. They are cheap, under 2-3 dollars but still, they are more expensive than the whole device you are using. Those cheap ones have shitty sensors and bad calibration. I guess a good brand weather station that costs around 50 euros would have same kind of sensors and much better calibration than the cheap ones. But i like the ability to customize mine so I go the DIY way. Also, I built my whole growroom controller for around the price of an indoor weather station, that's a win too.
Also, 20% rh variation is a lot, as I said, you can guess it better. Also, your nose can feel it better than the 20-30% off those readers offer. I would say your readings are bad, even if it's 50 and not 30%, you would need a bit more than that for optimum growth.
And, especially when the sensor holes are on the back of your reader, don't read near a wall (walls are cold, and if air holes to the sensor are even partially blocked you get bad reading. And since humidity you measure is relative, if wall is cold your rh reading is bad too, because it's related to temperature.
Partial or full shade, canopy level and at least 10 cm from a wall would be a good placement for a temp and rh probe. You also don't want to be near soil or inside canopy, because there you would get higher RH and lower temps.
Last, but not least.. Your plants look good. So keep up the good work!

Latest posts

Latest posts