What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Diary PCBuds mini-grow

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
Veteran
No kidding.
I have to take 20 shots to get one that isn't blurry.

I don't like pulling pieces of my plant off for study so I check it right on the plant.

I get that, I imagined if I did get the one with the stand, some tweezers for removing a calyx at a time would be necessary. I just ordered the one you have to play around with. $2 for the scope, $2 shipping. For some reason it say it takes a month to arrive. I hope it's not that long.

PCBuds

It's hard to remove a piece at a time. The tweezers mash it all up so you have to take a pretty big chunk.
And it's best to take a whole bunch of samples.

It probably ships from China.
You could probably get it faster for $10-$15 shipped from Amazon locally.

I've waited for up to 3 months for some things.

PCBuds

All kinds of neat stuff arrived today !!

And it's adjustable !!

I can turn it right down to exactly 19.5 V as recommended.

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
My girlfriend bought this pillow that was made in the land of Chin and the tag on it read, I kid you not, "filled with unkown materials." Like wtf, not only do they not know what's in it but they can't spell it either. Talk about sketchy lol.

PCBuds

Yeah, who knows?
Probably cat hair and floor-sweepings. Lol

My power supply is probably full of lead. Lol

I do like it though, it's got adjustable voltage and the equivalent Meanwell is $153 plus tax and shipping

I'll just be careful not to Max it out, maybe keep it at around 300 watts Max.
I've got to figure out how many amps my LED strips are drawing and how hot they get.

I can't really do anything until my plant is done so I can get in there and install them.

These lights may not turn out to be very cost-effective but I like them!

They're fricken kool!

I may have a new expensive hobby/addiction.

I want to buy more strips already!

indagroove

Veteran
Nice driver. Personally I always worry about cheap chinese electronics causing fire, although I know that in reality it's unlikely. I've been thinking about picking up a small driver and some strips myself, but I do worry about cutting corners.

Plants look nice, good utilization of space. What do you have for ventilation and airflow. Looks like you are getting to the point where you really need to watch out for rot. Those degrading fan leaves are big attractors for rot. Really good airflow is key right now.

PCBuds

I'm not too worried about fire.
It's going to be mounted outside the grow area where it can breathe and I can keep an eye on it.
It's thermally and overload protected with a breaker/fuse.

I'm more concerned about it crapping out on me.
One guy did write in about it and said his died after a few months of running his 3D printer but he may have had it maxed out.

I got mold a couple plants ago and blynx saved my ass.
He said it's normally caused by high humidity and lack of airflow, so I got off my lazy butt and installed a fan.

Humidity has been really low lately with the furnace running. It's around 30 to 40%.

I have been removing dead and dying leaves mostly to let the light in but mold is another good reason to get rid of them. They're coming off at the end anyways.

Last edited:

PCBuds

I'm going to be switching to a hempy style grow after this plant, with 50/50 coco coir and perlite.

I'll be removing my 4' fluorescent bulbs and gluing the strips to the metal housing.

I'm going to start with no side lighting and just use the overhead 50-watt globeless SIL's until it's about 21 in tall then all the lights will come on.

I didn't get enough stretch with this plant.
The last one was almost 2 ft taller. The side lighting really kept it short.

PCBuds

I checked my tricks again and they still have a long way to go.

It looks like I'm going to be smoking a lot of dust and cat hair. Lol

PCBuds

Fuck It !!!

Fuck It !!!

I decided to spend more than $100 to get free shipping and bought a bunch of LED strips.

I originally bought the wrong ones.

They're too long to fit horizontally in my closet and they're the wrong color.

So I bought 26 of these to get free shipping.

Hi, my name is PCbuds and I'm a shopaholic...

No more SILs for me.

But I could get a few of these to screw them in.

PCBuds

My 26, 11" LED strips arrived today.
Yee Haw !!

I can't install them until my current plant is finished though.
That should be in a week or two.

I'm debating on waiting for my heat-conducting tape arrives and sticking them to heat sinks/wall spacers/cookie sheets.

PCBuds

Thanks!!

I've just got to decide how I'm going to mount them.

I'm going to assume that my next plant is going to be a lot taller so the sidelights might go right to the top of the closet.

So no side lighting until the plant is at least 2' tall.

PCBuds

The thermal tape is $27 on Amazon so I'm going to wait until January for it to ship from China with eBay.

My strips are 24 mm wide and the widest tape I could find was 20 mm so I'm going with two 12 mm strips of tape.

Latest posts

Latest posts