What's new

Osmocote, my favorite plant food - easy peasy, complete

Captain Red Eye

To Osmocote or not to Osmocote ?

To flush or not to flush ?

This all sounds vaguely familiar. Chuckle.

1712587258891.png

Old Uncle Ben

I don't care what anyone says about them. I love Amazon. Order at 5:00pm and get it delivered at 8:30pm.

I'll give my review after this years outdoor gardening season. Looking at the feeding rate it doesn't look like it takes much so a little goes a long ways it appears.

View attachment 18984667
View attachment 18984668

I love Amazon. Returns are really nice and easy.

Used to buy that bag for $12 from Amazon. Inflation 18%......my ass.

Enjoy,
UB

Nannymouse

increase in shipping is one of the main culprits...stuff went berserkers when the barges were stalled, and...as usual, they raised prices, but never dropped them when things got better. The same goes for many items that increased during covid, whether or not distant shipping was involved.

Gripes my cookies when people are having to pay such increases in food prices, when the companies are bragging about their record profits and how happy their investors are. Almost everyone can grow part of their food supply, even if it's just a little. We have had five gardens going, and we have shared much of it. We never know when a disaster will happen, wind storms, hail, etc. , so we grow far more than what we would need for a year, of some of our fave veggies.

Another thing is that to purchase a large chunk of plastic, like for plant containers, often costs more than kitchen appliances, like blenders. That is just odd, to me.

Old Uncle Ben

Inflation is energy driven driven by govt. policies. Put the whammy on the fossil fuel industry and there you go. Also, about 3.5 years ago tariffs were levied on the import of raw materials used in the production of fertilizer. Farmers/ranchers pay more for fuel and everything that goes with it and your costs for produce, meat, etc. at the grocery store zooms.

Restaurants and grocers work on VERY tight profit margins. A baker has to pay more for their flour, eggs, butter, and sugar so you can have your Oreo's to dip in that glass of milk when ya get the munchies @Nannymouse.

Plastics and everything you have in your hands and house is driven by fossil fuels as are delivery costs "fueled" by increases in oil prices. Simple economics, but I digress.

Can't fix stupid......

Old Piney

Drill baby drill and lets get fracking. A interesting note, commercial nitrogen fertilizer is produced with natural gas .So all that corn ethanol shit in our gas might not be as green or carbon neutral as thought .Corn really sucks up the nitrogen

Nannymouse

I got nothing against deep fracking. Fracking got a bad rap, i think. Fracking is efficient. This might be different in oilfields that are shallow. What i'm upset about is the flaring, around here. I look out my windows...surrounded by fifteen to twenty foot flares that have been going for years, what a waste. MIL was indifferent about the flares, i asked her to hold her hand over a candle, even three feet above that candle, ouch....huge waste of energy. My family has been in the oil field for decades, various positions. I find that the news rarely reflects the actual problems (like flaring), and people are keen to be angry about what they hear and not what they should be angry about. But, as long as people stay angry and tuning in, or they are clicking, that's what matters.

I understand, first hand, how tight the restaurants are. Worked that, ran drinks, tended bar, and have worked in a deli and a home town bakery. (The baker said that he had all that he could do to break even, and that his wife's income is what really kept them afloat.) But, as far as food supply is concerned, most folks don't know just how much the industry is subsidized.

I read that the US govt finally admitted that Cannabis is medicine. Made me wonder if that will (eventually) be helpful for the medical growers and community.

@Old Uncle Ben , hey...you calling me stupid?

Captain Red Eye

Inflation is energy driven driven by govt. policies.

Agreed. Inflation is just one of the shitty things govt. enables.

The biggest cause of instability, foreign wars, bloated government and a host of other bad things is the Federal Reserve / Federal Gov't. combo. Like the Pentagon, Fed never really gets audited, which works great for them, not so much for the rest of the world.

I feel like I should say something about Osmocote to stay on topic though. So, I'll make an Osmocote haiku, well actually it's an AI haiku. :smoker:

Osmocote, slow release,
Nourishing plants with care,
Roots thrive, blooms arise.

Old Uncle Ben

Oil prices are down significantly in the last few years. $120 per barrel in June 2022 and $85 today. Yet gas prices don't reflect that. Plenty of oil available.
Availability of oil is not the issue. Yes we have plenty and were once the highest producing country. The green (racket), anti fossil fuels push, over regulation is the problem. It's stupid.

You may not remember but oil was once under $0 a barrel during the Covid pandemic. Tankers were backed up, full.

Last edited:

I Care

I got nothing against deep fracking. Fracking got a bad rap, i think. Fracking is efficient. This might be different in oilfields that are shallow. What i'm upset about is the flaring, around here. I look out my windows...surrounded by fifteen to twenty foot flares that have been going for years, what a waste. MIL was indifferent about the flares, i asked her to hold her hand over a candle, even three feet above that candle, ouch....huge waste of energy. My family has been in the oil field for decades, various positions. I find that the news rarely reflects the actual problems (like flaring), and people are keen to be angry about what they hear and not what they should be angry about. But, as long as people stay angry and tuning in, or they are clicking, that's what matters.

I understand, first hand, how tight the restaurants are. Worked that, ran drinks, tended bar, and have worked in a deli and a home town bakery. (The baker said that he had all that he could do to break even, and that his wife's income is what really kept them afloat.) But, as far as food supply is concerned, most folks don't know just how much the industry is subsidized.

I read that the US govt finally admitted that Cannabis is medicine. Made me wonder if that will (eventually) be helpful for the medical growers and community.

@Old Uncle Ben , hey...you calling me stupid?
The real problem with fracking is in places where there’s ground water and aquifer systems that can be contaminated by the recycled motor oil and coolant used in the process. That and whatever contaminants actually come from what’s being extracted.

I say that it’s okay, just need to keep it away from the water.

Old Uncle Ben

I Care

That’s actually what’s happening, prioritizing fossil fuel exports cause we don’t have much else to offer. I was stunned when I realized it’s actually the Democratic Party behind the curtains making all these changes that they campaign against. Decievecrats.

Old Uncle Ben

The real problem with fracking is in places where there’s ground water and aquifer systems that can be contaminated by the recycled motor oil and coolant used in the process. That and whatever contaminants actually come from what’s being extracted.

I say that it’s okay, just need to keep it away from the water.
I'm blessed. My well has good water albeit the TDS is high in Ca and Mg bicarbs, like 650 ppm. pH is neutral - 7.05. Good cannabis water but I prefer rain water, 2 collection tanks for total of 3,500 gals. Well can produce 150 gpm. I was authorized to use up to 3 million gallons per year by our underground water district. Was more like 120,000 gal. per year when I had my ag biz. 2 miles of drip irrigation.

I still filter my water through a counter top pitcher filter, German filters called MAVEA Maxtra.

Change gears, if I had to choose one brand of fertilizer for any kind of plant material it would be Dyna-Gro foods. I use the hell out of their Foliage-Pro. It's great for weed and since my girlfriend has been using it on her orchids they have leaves stacked on top of leaves and multiple flowering spikes. Only drawback is it;s not as versatile as the good old plunk and water Osmocote prills.

Got 4 pineapple plants that get a 1/2/gal. dose in their cup often. They are just now fruiting. https://hydrobuilder.com/dyna-gro-foliage-pro-32oz.html

Pineapple#2July30.jpg

Last edited:

Old Uncle Ben

.So all that corn ethanol shit in our gas might not be as green or carbon neutral as thought .Corn really sucks up the nitrogen
Of course it's not "green". It takes diesel to make corn and process corn for ethyl production.

Some of my friends refuse to use gasoline that contains alcohol for their small engines - lawnmowers, trimmers and such. Apparently it's not good for gaskets and other engine parts.

Nannymouse

That’s actually what’s happening, prioritizing fossil fuel exports cause we don’t have much else to offer. I was stunned when I realized it’s actually the Democratic Party behind the curtains making all these changes that they campaign against. Decievecrats.
It's part of the reason that i stay independent as hell. But, i also see this happening in the other party, too, they SAY one thing, vote another. Watch what they do, not what they say. Watch what judges they put in place. Pay attention how your reps vote, from local on up. I get upset that it isn't against the law for them to lie.

I Care

That ethanol also sucks water out of the air and causes octane issues. Not ideal for anything that doesn’t have computerized fuel air and ignition.

I thing there’s less of the hypocrisy in the Republican Party. At least you know what you’re actually getting. Don’t have to live in fear with someone who just tells it like it is.

So Hai

Inflation is energy driven driven by govt. policies.
Well, it is a government policy to indebt peoples in order for the parasite class to continue raking in profits and percentages.
I thing there’s less of the hypocrisy in the Republican Party. At least you know what you’re actually getting. Don’t have to live in fear with someone who just tells it like it is.
Yes you get another zionist puppet! I am sure they all have your best interest at heart, that being the interest on your debt :D