What's new

Original Haze Tips

stellis0358

Hi all. I currently have 9 Original Haze plants growing out and they're at week 4. Surprisingly, they are already showing sex. There is definitely some variation from plant to plant, and some of that is due to the fact im sure I have some males here too, but I feel like I got lucky and have a female in what I consider a very good example and the best of the 9. She looks nice and squat and full (well more so than the others) with the shortest node spacing. I transplanted her this morning and decided I will use her for cuttings.

My goal(s) for this grow
#1 is to preserve the genetics - I would like to do an IBL for more seeds.
#2 I would like to take cuttings and grow out a few plants to see what all the hype is all about as far as the so called psychedelic like effects that have been reported with this strain. This strain is nostalgic for me. I smoked a shit house full of Columbian back in the day. It was pretty much mostly all we could get our hands on - and seeds included 🤣 Hybrids were just beginning to surface in the 70's.
#3 I would like to cross her with something, primarily to address the long flowering times with this strain. Im leaning towards Purest Indica but would like some ideas as to what some of you think would make a good cross with this strain. Options I currently have in my personal seed bank are:

Pakistani Chitral Kush
Tajikistani Hash Plant
Hindu Kush
Panama
MalawixPanama
Acapulco Gold
Mama Thai
Baghlan
Skunk#1
NL2
NL5
Purist Indica

I've only been growing for a few years and have about a dozen grows under my belt, so I haven't been growing nowhere near as long as a good majority of you here. I dont know the age groups on this forum but I'd be willing to bet I've been smoking longer than most of you 😁. I've grown mostly indicas and some hybrids so this is my first time growing out a sativa like this with no afghan influence.

For those of you with any experience growing out this strain I'd be grateful for any grow advice you can give. I've also posted a couple pics just to show the variation between 2 females I have so far. Pic on the left is my selection I'm going to use for cloning.

Thanks for reading and sorry for the winded post.

Attachments

• 20240227_135210.jpg
    20240227_135210.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 49
  • 20240227_135152.jpg
    20240227_135152.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 48

zif

Veteran
Fun project!

Dubi’s Panama/Haze is really nice - it might be worth considering Panama for your outcross if you want to stay away from the afghanicas.

You don’t say what your space is like, but if it’s tight at all, it’s good to know that you can safely prune much further into the flowering cycle with plants like OHaze than you would with anything else. They’ll still pack on plenty of flower, and it’s much better if those buds are growing *under* your lights instead of up into or above them. 😃

‘Course they take much longer to really kick into full swing, too, usually.

bajode5

Hey brother, I'm glad to read about your project and your motivation is evident.
I'm a sativa lover and Haze is in my top 3. I've grown a lot of them (I've also screwed up a couple of times), so I can humbly share with you what this variety has taught me.
1. I recommend organic farming from engineered soil (be careful not to amend too much).
2. Haze is like wine to a certain extent, curing for several months only improves the final product.
3. Fast phenotypes are not the best in my opinion, good things take a while. If excessive Haze flowering is a problem, I would cross your standout selection with a longer flowering Haze to reach a middle ground.
4. Haze loves living in the sun.
5. Choosing a variety to hybridize will depend on your purposes. If you are looking to increase flower density in haze without prior selection, I would suggest Panama and thus not dilute the sativa effect that is so sought after.

I don't think I've forgotten anything, but if I remember something that might be useful to you, I'll edit my post.

Greetings!

stellis0358

Fun project!

Dubi’s Panama/Haze is really nice - it might be worth considering Panama for your outcross if you want to stay away from the afghanicas.

You don’t say what your space is like, but if it’s tight at all, it’s good to know that you can safely prune much further into the flowering cycle with plants like OHaze than you would with anything else.
Hey zif, thanks for taking the time to reply. I have 2 4x4 tents. I use one for vegging/breeding while the other is used for flowering. I really wish I had a lot more room to play in but that's all I have.

I'm really torn between crossing with an afghan or keeping it pure sativa. My boys love the sativas so I have some extra motivation to go with a sativa strain. Hell I could eventually do both someday I suppose. Im concerned mostly with the height and stretch - I dont know what im up against with OHaze.

I know that Skunk was created by crossing (Afghan x Columbian) x Acapulco Gold so I thought it would be fun to try a reboot on Skunk, although I fully understand those were completely different cultivars back then and mine most likely would not come out nearly as good, but still fun to try.

I normally don't go any longer than 8-10 weeks before flipping to flower. Should I stick to those parameters with this strain?

zif

Veteran
Original Haze will stretch a lot!

I'd be thinking about flowering at the size you're at to try to keep them manageable in a 4x4. You can also take clones and flower them just after they've rooted.

Or, of course, just trim them back if you realize you're headed for a jungle.

Skunk and Haze are another classic combo, without a doubt.

stellis0358

1. I recommend organic farming from engineered soil (be careful not to amend too much).
Hey bajode5, thanks for the reply. I grow organically but I feel growing organically is a little more work but I prefer it. So for these I was going to just use synthetic nutes for simplicity sake. I don't think my soils are over ammended so I will stick with organic for these if that's what you recommend.
3. If excessive Haze flowering is a problem, I would cross your standout selection with a longer flowering Haze to reach a middle ground.
Im not concerned about the long flowering time. I'll do it once but not something I would want to keep tying up my tents with for 6 mos at a time, hence the desire to breed that out. Did you mean to say shorter flowering Haze to reach a middle ground?
5. Choosing a variety to hybridize will depend on your purposes. If you are looking to increase flower density in haze without prior selection, I would suggest Panama and thus not dilute the sativa effect that is so sought after.
I'd like to reduce the flowering time so I can grow this out and enjoy it a little more often - that's #1

My Panama is from Ace Seeds - I hope it's good.

stellis0358

Acapulco Gold Haze sounds very interesting.
HarleyJammer - I would agree with you. My Acapulco Gold is from Bodhi and the info I have is saying these can take anywhere from 12-24 weeks to flower depending on phenotype. So that's not helping me reduce flowering time unfortunately. But crossing with an Afghanica first then breeding to Acapulco Gold, that's intriguing to me.

Last edited:

bajode5

Hey bajode5, thanks for the reply. I grow organically but I feel growing organically is a little more work but I prefer it. So for these I was going to just use synthetic nutes for simplicity sake. I don't think my soils are over ammended so I will stick with organic for these if that's what you recommend.

Im not concerned about the long flowering time. I'll do it once but not something I would want to keep tying up my tents with for 6 mos at a time, hence the desire to breed that out. Did you mean to say shorter flowering Haze to reach a middle ground?

I'd like to reduce the flowering time so I can grow this out and enjoy it a little more often - that's #1

My Panama is from Ace Seeds - I hope it's good.
In Hz you will find some plants with a slightly shorter flowering period. Look for some of those characteristics and then cross with long-flowering Hz so as not to touch the genetics so much.

I would also recommend looking for a mother and starting clones directly to flower.

Where did you get your O Hz seeds from?

SolarLogos

I've got a pack of Todd's OHz in my freezer, but haven't grown them yet. I do have another round of OHz (seedsman) in the tent. I'm curious how long it will take those Todd's haze to finish. There is quite a difference between the two hazes. You might find a short flowering pheno and not need to cross her out (reading between the lines;) ).

Where did you get the Acapulco Gold? I've grown Snowhigh's AG and crossed it with a Santa Marta Colombian Gold. A few older members grew her and referred to her has "top 5 ever", "Holy Grail", "Homerun", "Don't ever lose that one", etc.

How old is the Skunk #1 and what is the source if you don't mind.

Best of luck
Peace

stellis0358

Perhaps a 7 week Mass Medical Strains Indigo Pupil male could reduce the flower time of the Haze. I hear that the pink is magic.
Thanks for the suggestion. Those are some pretty nugz - I dont have that strain in house. So many options out there. As I go over the logistics of what I wanted to accomplish with this project and the grow space I have, my goals may be a little too aggressive for this go around. One of my tents is already tied up with an indica grow so that just leaves me with 1 tent to work with. I do have a closet I use for when I want to isolate a plant or two for whatever reason, but that's it. I think what I'm going to do is get my seeds made first and foremost. I'll be able to grow out more examples of OHaze to choose from on the next grow. This will give me some time to decide what I want to use for breeding and get it in the house if its a strain I dont have. I'll use some cuttings from this one girl and grow out a couple to get some Haze growing experience under my belt.

HarleyJammer

Veteran
Thanks for the suggestion. Those are some pretty nugz - I dont have that strain in house. So many options out there. As I go over the logistics of what I wanted to accomplish with this project and the grow space I have, my goals may be a little too aggressive for this go around. One of my tents is already tied up with an indica grow so that just leaves me with 1 tent to work with. I do have a closet I use for when I want to isolate a plant or two for whatever reason, but that's it. I think what I'm going to do is get my seeds made first and foremost. I'll be able to grow out more examples of OHaze to choose from on the next grow. This will give me some time to decide what I want to use for breeding and get it in the house if its a strain I dont have. I'll use some cuttings from this one girl and grow out a couple to get some Haze growing experience under my belt.
Right on.. sounds like a plan. Ive been looking for an interesting male to cross the Thai A5 Haze. After I recuperate from my upcoming surgery I'm thinking of doing a pheno hunt for that pink male.

stellis0358

I've got a pack of Todd's OHz in my freezer, but haven't grown them yet. I do have another round of OHz (seedsman) in the tent. I'm curious how long it will take those Todd's haze to finish. There is quite a difference between the two hazes. You might find a short flowering pheno and not need to cross her out (reading between the lines;) ).

Where did you get the Acapulco Gold? I've grown Snowhigh's AG and crossed it with a Santa Marta Colombian Gold. A few older members grew her and referred to her has "top 5 ever", "Holy Grail", "Homerun", "Don't ever lose that one", etc.

How old is the Skunk #1 and what is the source if you don't mind.

Best of luck
Peace
My issue is I don't have the room to grow out multiple plants to do this the right way - keeping clones while I wait for the donor plants to finish to identify any shorter flowering phenos - at least not at the moment. I just want to experiment a bit with doing some crosses, see what I end up with, and hopefully come up with something I really like and then I can continue to have confidence in the genetics I'm growing (providing Im starting out with good genetics) and knowing it is something I created. I really like the old school genetics. Maybe it's my age or maybe I'm just somewhat of a purest, idk. As good as a lot of today's strains are some of them have been bred to death. Some of the lineages I see in some of today's strains is staggering

My AG came from Seeds4Me who acquired the genetics from Bodhi Seeds. It sounds like these are super stretchers that could easily grow out of control, so again - I don't have any experience growing sativas like these. I'll probably have to flip earlier than I like to and probably grow in smaller containers to keep them under control. This strain is also a long flowering strain in certain phenos.

I don't know how old the Skunk #1 beans are. I've only had them for a few months and got them from Todd.

HarleyJammer

Veteran
My issue is I don't have the room to grow out multiple plants to do this the right way - keeping clones while I wait for the donor plants to finish to identify any shorter flowering phenos - at least not at the moment. I just want to experiment a bit with doing some crosses, see what I end up with, and hopefully come up with something I really like and then I can continue to have confidence in the genetics I'm growing (providing Im starting out with good genetics) and knowing it is something I created. I really like the old school genetics. Maybe it's my age or maybe I'm just somewhat of a purest, idk. As good as a lot of today's strains are some of them have been bred to death. Some of the lineages I see in some of today's strains is staggering

My AG came from Seeds4Me who acquired the genetics from Bodhi Seeds. It sounds like these are super stretchers that could easily grow out of control, so again - I don't have any experience growing sativas like these. I'll probably have to flip earlier than I like to and probably grow in smaller containers to keep them under control. This strain is also a long flowering strain in certain phenos.

I don't know how old the Skunk #1 beans are. I've only had them for a few months and got them from Todd.
Try vegging 18/6 2 weeks from seed/ 1 week from clone in 1/2 gallon container then flip to 11/13. After stretch up-pot to 1 gallon. This might help those leggy sativas from getting out of control.

stellis0358

Try vegging 18/6 2 weeks from seed/ 1 week from clone in 1/2 gallon container then flip to 11/13. After stretch up-pot to 1 gallon. This might help those leggy sativas from getting out of control.
Plants won't get very big in 1 gal will they - they'll be ok in 1 gal pots? I have 5 ft of height, well probably more like 4 with light and exhaust system.

I ended up buying another small tent and light that will only serve to veg. Should be big enough to keep a couple mothers without tying up one of my 2 grow tents. That'll help my situation a little bit.

Last edited:

SolarLogos

If you have two tents, take cuts from the seed plants and put the cuts into flower 3 weeks after rooting and transplanting into 1 gallon containers. Flower these out. When the males start dropping pollen (open pollinating the haze), take cuts again of just the females from the seed plants. When those are rooted and 3 weeks old, remove the males from the tent, clean up the tent of any pollen, spray the plants down well and put the second set of cuts in to flower for smoke.

If you don't have a second tent, put the seed plants outside while the first cuts are in flower. They will start to flower, but very slowly if it's as cold outside where your at as it is here. The cold slows growth and they stop growing when the temps drop below 50. The equinox will be here in a few weeks, so they'll revert back to veg. You can take your second set of cuts then, but clean the cuts well so you don't introduce insects into your tent. I'm currently doing that now with OHaze.
Best of luck
Peace

stellis0358

Thanks SolarLogos, appreciate it. Still winter here and cold so no chance of putting anything outside right now. I have 1 female I would want to use for cuttings but she's only 4.5 weeks old. Theres not a whole lot of growth yet to take more than a couple cuttings right now. I should be good in another week I think.

SolarLogos

Thanks SolarLogos, appreciate it. Still winter here and cold so no chance of putting anything outside right now. I have 1 female I would want to use for cuttings but she's only 4.5 weeks old. Theres not a whole lot of growth yet to take more than a couple cuttings right now. I should be good in another week I think.
Cuts are a lot easier to manage than the seed parents. My OHz are only about 24-30 inches tall and done with the stretch (in 1 gal pots). I didn't need much size for a seed run. IMHO, cuttings don't suffer as severely from being rootbound as the mother plants do that have tap roots.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
HarleyJammer - I would agree with you. My Acapulco Gold is from Bodhi and the info I have is saying these can take anywhere from 12-24 weeks to flower depending on phenotype. So that's not helping me reduce flowering time unfortunately. But crossing with an Afghanica first then breeding to Acapulco Gold, that's intriguing to me.