What's new

organic Nutrients w/ high heavy metal

Hey all B-down here.
Wanted to make this thread and ask the forum community a question with talking organics nutrients here , what are safe levels of heavy metals that can be present in nutrients? I was using dr earth past three runs and I was checking out the lab results and noticed 1.57 ppm lead . Other nutrients I’ve seen the compositions have been 0.1 ppm lead and others around small ranges.
When I stared asking people they said organics will always contain heavy metals and other guys said some companies pay to have them extracted to lower amounts and that some nutrient companies don’t care. So I would like to hear everyone input on heavy metals in organic nutrients . Peace

Also I guess the big worry here is alot of organic guys re use the soil, living soil . so even if 1.5ppm lead isn’t that much , think of a noo till enviorment reusing that soil constantly adding more amendments/ nutrients that have heavy metals present wouldnt it at some point become toxic ? One love

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
If you really want organic and low heavy metals... I strongly suggest rabbit manure based nutrients. Rabbit manure has some unique properties vs other domesticated animals. I'm constantly amazed at the health levels plants exhibit from the introduction of rabbit manure.

I've also posted my method for creating liquid nutrients from rabbit manure. Shelf stable free of aerobic and anaerobic microbiota, and fully ready for foliar or root drench applications.

I find the levels of heavy metals in organic nutrients scary. Mainly because of how absorbative of "everything" cannabis becomes when it is searching for a specific nutrient which is unavailable or in short supply. Ouch!

Hiddenjems

This is specifically why I use agricultural grade salts in ro water hydroponics.

If you really want organic and low heavy metals... I strongly suggest rabbit manure based nutrients. Rabbit manure has some unique properties vs other domesticated animals. I'm constantly amazed at the health levels plants exhibit from the introduction of rabbit manure.

I've also posted my method for creating liquid nutrients from rabbit manure. Shelf stable free of aerobic and anaerobic microbiota, and fully ready for foliar or root drench applications.

I find the levels of heavy metals in organic nutrients scary. Mainly because of how absorbative of "everything" cannabis becomes when it is searching for a specific nutrient which is unavailable or in short supply. Ouch!
Exactly I started diving in deeper when I saw proven research on hemp being used to clear fields of heavy metals .
Even scarier to think about , there’s so many guys with living soil with high amounts after continuous use of the same soil same high metal nutrients content being added . Specially with that bat guano seabird guano stuff cheers bro

This is specifically why I use agricultural grade salts in ro water hydroponics.

Agricultural grade salts. I feel you in salts being cleaner. And I know hen I stared organic I thought anything organic is clean but that’s no simply the case. I’ll have to check that out . I know Athena nutrients is clean but it’s salt based aswell .and I’m using their nutrients now. Have some organics alive samples on the way for organic soil . Cheers bro

Last edited:
Buy any professional agricultural brand of hydro salts.

I would never use anything that’s “for cannabis”. At the least they are overcharging for the ingredients.
Right now I have Athena and I’m very happy with them only thing g is it’s pro mix and not soul. I prefer soil im still a roomie at promix haha but hey I def understand that over charging part on the nutrients. Then when u get something cheap that’s organic it’s loaded with heavy metals 😵😵

Hiddenjems

Right now I have Athena and I’m very happy with them only thing g is it’s pro mix and not soul. I prefer soil im still a roomie at promix haha but hey I def understand that over charging part on the nutrients. Then when u get something cheap that’s organic it’s loaded with heavy metals 😵😵
The cheapest nutes are professional agricultural products that cannot contain heavy metals.

I spend around $10 on nutes per pound of dried flower.

Now if I could just find bags of cheap powdered electricity………..

420empire

Veteran
Great thread , was going to make one like this after I read the study bout heavy metals present in cannabis useres ..
So is this heavy metal load only present when smoking? What about dry vape inhaltion? Oral etc?
The other aspect was regarding cadmium.

Maybe it's rumours, but have heard that phosfor should cause more cadmium, but this paper dosen't back it up ... but it's only one paper 😂😂
Just wonder.

Thanks for the tip Douglas.
bhought rabbit manure case of u 😂
It takes time to learn how to dose it , but remember u mention not to use it 30 days before cut 😅
Do any use humic acid ?
I read somewhere its Best to compost manure, before use. The Wiggers binds metyl Mercury and imobilze it..
Do any add compost besides the chosen bloom nutrient ?

Abstract​

A pilot-scale trial of four months was conducted to investigate the responses of heavy metal and nutrient to composting animal manure spiked with mushroom residues with and without earthworms. Results showed that earthworm activities accelerated organic matter mineralization (e.g. reduction in C/N ratio, increase in total concentrations of N, P, K) and humification (e.g. increase in humic acid concentration, humification ratio and humification index). Despite composting increased total heavy metal (i.e. As, Pb, Cu, Zn) concentrations irrespective of earthworm, the availability of heavy metals extracted by DTPA significantly (P < 0.05) decreased particularly in treatments with earthworms introduced. The shift from available to unavailable fractions of heavy metals was either due to earthworm bioaccumulation, as indicated by total heavy metal concentrations being higher in earthworm tissues, or due to the formation of stable metal-humus complexes as indicated by the promotion of humification. Our results suggest that vermicomposting process could magnify the nutrient quality but relieve the heavy metals risk of agricultural organic wastes.

Douglas.Curtis

Earthworms are earth's micro disa/asem-blers ;)

Rabbit manure has much higher humic substance levels vs. most domesticated manures, especially after 3 days at 160F. :tiphat:

When run through earthworms, they break the molecules down even further and combine simple humics to much more complex ones.

You'll find lower detectable levels of heavy metals in earthworm castings from 100% rabbit manure. ;) I'll bet money the complex humics can even tear apart glyphosate.

Pearls of wisdom which took long hours to find...

Douglas.Curtis

pH increases reduces heavy metal solubility when it goes from acidic to neutral.
Unfortunately, cannabis has very powerfully acidic exudates which will make most nasties available to it. Keep in mind this usually only happens when the plant is missing something, and is attempting to dissolve it out of the surrounding soil. ;)
(Edit: Yes, this is a super crude and slightly inaccurate explanation. lol)

420empire

Veteran
But I understand it, thanks Douglas 😂
, it's nice with a good "explainer" .
I know fungi does it, but does canna on its own , or is it symbiose thing with the fungi??🤗
Would it be an Idea to use biochar to bind some of the nasty stuff? Or would this just let i stay in a immobilize form ... and with a future potentiale release if the bond due break apart🤔

Any of u guys useing em1?

Last edited:

Hiddenjems

The same multiple uptake streams that make cannabis a “weed” as far as growth speed make it a concentrator of heavy metals and toxins.

As I mentioned earlier I use metal free nutes with ro water. This also enables me to use zero pesticides or fungicides natural or otherwise.

I smoke a lot, probably an ounce of flower every day or two. I’m extremely careful about what’s in it.

After multiple emails later I’ve grabbed some organics alive sample to test with this coast of maine grow. and in talks with Erik from organics alive will post their lab test results. Im also currently running Athena nutrients and as stated by the other homie agricultural grade salts contain no heavy metals . As I am trying out their stuff . I’ve ran Gaia green and dr earth both have high numbers of lead and nickel I will show the proof in the next post

Last edited:
This is the Cali database https://apps1.cdfa.ca.gov/fertilizerproducts/. All nutrients are registered by cali law . Here are dr earth 4-4-4 and 3-9-4 results the most common used. High amounts of lead, copper arsenic, colbat and nickel

Attachments

• 50D110BC-432B-4959-B44B-6E6C8BFAE8FB.png
    50D110BC-432B-4959-B44B-6E6C8BFAE8FB.png
    664.8 KB · Views: 81
  • 4242F841-F017-4C9A-855B-AB07F6CD1CAF.png
    4242F841-F017-4C9A-855B-AB07F6CD1CAF.png
    671.1 KB · Views: 74
But I understand it, thanks Douglas 😂
, it's nice with a good "explainer" .
I know fungi does it, but does canna on its own , or is it symbiose thing with the fungi??🤗
Would it be an Idea to use biochar to bind some of the nasty stuff? Or would this just let i stay in a immobilize form ... and with a future potentiale release if the bond due break apart🤔

Any of u guys useing em1?
I have a homie that made some em1 I plan on incoprating into this run . Aswell as making my own em1 microbes for the soil

Douglas.Curtis

Best way I can see to keep cannabis clean is to supply everything it needs, including a greater variety of micros than normally talked about. When the plant literally has access to everything it needs it does not go searching for anything.

The key is getting things in a balance, for your conditions and strain, which shy away from overfeeding.

Earthworms are earth's micro disa/asem-blers ;)

Rabbit manure has much higher humic substance levels vs. most domesticated manures, especially after 3 days at 160F. :tiphat:

When run through earthworms, they break the molecules down even further and combine simple humics to much more complex ones.

You'll find lower detectable levels of heavy metals in earthworm castings from 100% rabbit manure. ;) I'll bet money the complex humics can even tear apart glyphosate.

Pearls of wisdom which took long hours to find...
You might be into something here Doug nice info man