What's new

- Opiated Thai Sticks: Myth or Truth? -

mr.brunch

Veteran
I’m still interested in this early water stuff…. From what I’m reading, raw opium is dissolved in water mixed with lime to make the morphine and codeine alkaloids dissolved, and this is sieved to remove solid waste.
This liquid opium is then hit with another chemical which makes the alkaloids drop to the bottom, then the water is boiled away or scooped off.

Even if this water is scooped and saved it surely contains no opium as such because it’s all been precipitated out into a sludge which is dried and pressed.
Just curious, as the story seems to state clearly the sticks were dipped in water, not directly laced.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
You said 14 or 15 when you first smoked Thai I stand corrected, and you also said you started to then grow Thai with others because you couldn't get Thai sticks no more your exact wards Wally I won't post the podcast as I don't want drama, but let's keep it honest mate.

Like I said, how would you know what was what in regard to the imports Thai here at 14 ? The heyday of imported cannabis came to an end at around 84/85 that's a fact. I never saw Thai imported in after that, but I did see small batches of Hash.

Yes, you have been to Thailand many times I have not, but that was well after the 70s and 80s and a lot changed from that period to when you arrived.

I had a friend go monthly in the mid 80s and continued to go for work well after.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Even if this water is scooped and saved it surely contains no opium as such because it’s all been precipitated out into a sludge which is dried and pressed.
Just curious, as the story seems to state clearly the sticks were dipped in water, not directly laced.
A by-product of the heroin trade, early water was the leftover water used to create the heroin from the raw opium. It contained all of the constituents of opium except most of the heroin.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
I’m still interested in this early water stuff…. From what I’m reading, raw opium is dissolved in water mixed with lime to make the morphine and codeine alkaloids dissolved, and this is sieved to remove solid waste.
This liquid opium is then hit with another chemical which makes the alkaloids drop to the bottom, then the water is boiled away or scooped off.

Interesting point. Even if the sticks were dipped in this water would it be enough to have an effect?

When I mixed opium with cannabis we used the resin (or whatevver it is) from the opium plant directly onto the buds. A fair amount. I can't imagine if you just used the water that it would have much of an effect, but like you, I don't really know.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
I did not know that...TIL:hempy knows some shit
And you think Wally's got some issues. You follow Hempy around defending him at every opportunity. Hempy does indeed know some shit and I do respect his opinion, especially about Nevils work. On Thai, he is just another person who has had Thai Stick (and grew it), first experience in 1979; well shit my first Thai Stick was in 1977 and I was late to the party by several years.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
You said 14 or 15 when you first smoked Thai I stand corrected, and you also said you started to then grow Thai with others because you couldn't get Thai sticks no more your exact wards Wally I won't post the podcast as I don't want drama, but let's keep it honest mate.

Like I said, how would you know what was what in regard to the imports Thai here at 14 ? The heyday of imported cannabis came to an end at around 84/85 that's a fact. I never saw Thai imported in after that, but I did see small batches of Hash.

Yes, you have been to Thailand many times I have not, but that was well after the 70s and 80s and a lot changed from that period to when you arrived.

I had a friend go monthly in the mid 80s and continued to go for work well after.
firstly , i dont know how this became about me other than as i suggested when your argument isnt looking good you start playing the man ,
secondly ,, i was not 14 in 1984 , and there was a gap in the thai sticks ending , to us getting golden off the stick thai , but we had that available to us until 1985 ,
i lived in a totally different part of australia to you and u cannot have an idea what was happening or what we were getting ...
also ,, according to a post eons ago , you are 3 years older than me , so you can do the maths there and see what u come up with ,, perhaps its closer to the truth than u are currently anyhow ..
now please get your eyes back on the ball and off me ..

my trips to thailand , and marrying a thai women taught me a lot about the country , the geography ,, the geology , the culture and various peoples/food and history , i travelled to the far north , north east , south and west ,
and ive probably been there around 15 times now over a 22 year period ,
i keep contact with the family , or both families i have there regularly , one is based in Udonthani ,, a place regularly mentioned as a center for growing cannabis back in those days ,
this is because of the air base there , and the fact 10 000 Gi s were stationed there during the vietnam war, which is one of the reasons any of us even saw thai sticks ...
yes stuff has changed , but the history remains ,
and again , none of this has anything to do with thai sticks dipped in opium , just a deflection of course ,
eyes on the ball mate ..
'

Dime

You not seeing thai after 85 doesn't mean it ended. It just means it ended for you as you see it. As I mentioned earlier 76 tons of thai came into Alaska in 87,that's a fact. The Thai Military made the sale to Odea,he said so,he took 3 ships to Thailand to bring it to Alaska.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran

these folks are constantly clutching at straws to try and find some information to collaborate their apparent experiences is all ,
and their stories change to suit the new stuff made up ,
first it was dipped in opium , then in the heroin backwash ,
now that doesnt sound viable i wonder whats the next straw they will grasp at ...

what you mention there sounds like making bubble hash , where all the heavier particles fall to the bottom, so yes that makes sense there would be little to none left in that water ... lets face it , if the process wasnt taking at least most of the opium , it would have been a waste of time using it ...

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
You guys love that deleting posts shit dontcha, and having the last word...you get ur fkn ROCKS OFF ON IT!!
The power surge is intoxicating aint it
not just deleting posts muddy , now you cant even respond ,
you have nothing to add to this thread other than whining and trolling ,
so you are out mate , you just kept pushing didnt you ... i warned u , then deleted useless off topic posts , now you are off the thread ...

troutman

Seed Whore
I do regret not doing a Guerilla Grow this year as I was planning to
do a little patch of Poppies like I did in the late 90's to make some
really cool meds You can't buy.

Next year, I'm thinking of Opium & Hash Chocolate. :bigeye:

goingrey

Found this interesting:

Bill Lee Burroughs said:
You can smoke opium in a joint - in southern Thailand they have opium that’s black and really sticky, viscous - basically like marmite if you’ve ever seen it but a bit thicker. Anyway they get dried banana leaves (you can use weed or rolling tobacco but banana leaves work best) then they melt the opium in a spoon with a tiny bit of water before soaking the finely shredded leaves into the goo. Once it’s all soaked through they lift the mass of opium covered leaves up with a stick and sort of dry it out over a flame. This isn’t hard to do but it’s really hard to do well. Once you’ve processed the opium goo into opium infused leaf matter (it might be coconut leaves - a big dry leaf that’s been shredded is basically what it is) you can smoke it in a bong or add it to a joint. It works best in a bong but my preference was to dissolve it in coffee and drink it. I started dissolving it in whiskey then adding this to coffee after I was told about the extremely unhygienic manner opium is made and stored - eating it raw can kill you or make you really ill from bacteria it picks up.

From Quora

Chi13

ICMag Donor
Found this interesting:

From Quora
Interesting, I thought it was the William Burroughs until I looked at the link. Quite a labour intensive process and I cannot imagine the Thai's going to this much trouble when they have a product that was the best in the world at the time.

goingrey

Interesting, I thought it was the William Burroughs until I looked at the link. Quite a process and I cannot imagine the Thai's going to this much trouble when they have a product that was the best in the world at the time.
Maybe every single gram wasn't quite up there with the best? :dunno: Think of Cali now, sure the best shit ever but also a bunch of bunk.

Anyway, here's someone smoking the shit in Chiang Mai. Just using a regular bong.

Ok maybe it's not the most efficient method and hardcore junkies might not bother. But the "you can't smoke raw opium" claim doesn't seem to hold water.

Latest posts

Latest posts