What's new

- Opiated Thai Sticks: Myth or Truth? -

mr.brunch

Veteran
Is the early water a real substance?
Seems like there are many other chemicals in the poppy juice stuff so if it is a thing wouldn’t it be more of a codeine and laudnum dip than an opium one as the main alkaloid (morphine) has already been used?

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have the Maguire's book...nothing about opiated sticks...nada.
This makes me remember the so called "Pakistaní" made in Morocco in the early 2k.
Some ppl said It was laced with opiates...most think it's just an urban myth
IMG_20240828_220220.jpg

mr.brunch

Veteran
I have the Maguire's book...nothing about opiated sticks...nada.
This makes me remember the so called "Pakistaní" made in Morocco in the early 2k.
Some ppl said It was laced with opiates...most think it's just an urban myth View attachment 19076666
I remember in the early 90s (uk) there were always stories of laced hash.. “its laced with opium” or “dusted with PCP” was another.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
I remember in the early 90s (uk) there were always stories of laced hash.. “its laced with opium” or “dusted with PCP” was another.
there was a while where i live folks kept asking me if the weed i had was laced with horse tranquiliser,
because they didnt want that shit ,
then 6 to 12 months went by , everyone was asking if i had that stuff laced with horse tranq,
because they wanted it ,
fast foward a few decades , and everyone is on special k ... lol ..

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
so explain to me how they moved this wash from one area to the other , and why ??
do you actually know how far we are talking ?? its over 600 km ,
now we are talking 1970s too ,, imagine the quality of the roads then , if you can , oh thats right u have no knowledge you just imagine it from a westerners point of view ....

Let's back up a bit because some are now under the impression that Opiated Thai sticks were the normal or majority of the Thai sticks or brick that was exported out of Thailand and that was not the case.

From my own experience from 1979 until the imports completely stopped in 84/85 I only saw Opiated Thai Sticks twice, I wouldn't call that a large part of the Thai weed being imported here, in fact I would call it a rarity.

Why would they move the wash ?

The Golden Triangle was were most opium was being grown, and processed, and a lot of Cannabis was also grown there.

Here a some early photos from a Royal commission of Thai sticks being intercepted here.

1727829117364.png

1727829167380.png

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Truth is no one who claims that the sticks were dipped in opium can know for sure. They were told this by their supplier. A complete myth in my opinion. None of the sticks I ever had, had a remotely opium like high. The high was as unlike an opium high as you could get.

If you look at the book or podcasts "Thai Stick, Surfers, Scammers, the true untold story" they put this claim to rest. They were actually there.
The effect of the Opiated Thai to the non Opiated Thai was very different, as was the smell and the look of weed.

With all due respect, the Thai Stick Surfers went to Bangkok and dealt with middle men, and they were no where close to the big players of the day.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Let's back up a bit because some are now under the impression that Opiated Thai sticks were the normal or majority of the Thai sticks or brick that was exported out of Thailand and that was not the case.

From my own experience from 1979 until the imports completely stopped in 84/85 I only saw Opiated Thai Sticks twice, I wouldn't call that a large part of the Thai weed being imported here, in fact I would call it a rarity.

Why would they move the wash ?

The Golden Triangle was were most opium was being grown, and processed, and a lot of Cannabis was also grown there.

Here a some early photos from a Royal commission of Thai sticks being intercepted here.

View attachment 19076702
View attachment 19076703
Some cannabis was grown there but its not known for export cannabis and specifically thai stick which is what we are talking about so with that in mind they would have to move the opium or wash to a totally other area several provinces away,
I realise you and some others are not aware of how and where stuff was done but the area you are talking about focused on opium production and not cannabis because it didn't bring as much reward. The weed exported, ill say again for about the tenth time was grown in the north east, isaan provinces and if you watch some of the clips provided by other members you will see that's true.
You need to stop looking at this through western eyes because you won't get a clear picture at all..

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
The largest smugglers or cartel of that time were made up of Military US /Au government agencies like CIA Law enforcement and a few others.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
The effect of the Opiated Thai to the non Opiated Thai was very different, as was the smell and the look of weed.

With all due respect, the Thai Stick Surfers went to Bangkok and dealt with middle men, and they were no where close to the big players of the day.
No if you read the book you will see they were out in udonthani. Where all the action was, please do some proper research man rather than arguing with nothing to back you up, let's see a bust of opiated weed or any evidence at all other than hearsay?

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
I did watch their video, and they said that they and most smugglers would deal with people in Bangkok, and they would sort out the rest from the delivery to the loading of the boat.

Just going by what the Thai Stick Surfers have claimed.

A lot was grown in the Golden Triangle and, again going by the Surfer guys, few if any smugglers dealt with the growers. Middle men would buy it off the farmers all over Thailand, then take it back to Bangkok, where they would then grade it and get it ready for sale.

There is a documented case in one of the Royal commissions here where Sydney under world figures had sent people on the ground in the Golden Triangle to oversee a huge grow of Thai sticks from start to finish and from memory that was intercepted off the coast some were in Asia as they had them under surveillance.