What's new

Old School White Widow

Mr. J

The whole Brazilian sativa story is a fairytale. Surely Scottybaba should have been able to tell us more about it and maybe even had a picture since he supposedly bred the White Widow with it. Since he's such master breeder then I'm sure he was maintaining this pure Brazilian landrace as a line for future projects seeing as it produced such a spectacular plant as the White Widow. So where is this supposed Brazilian sativa now? What about the Indian or whatever plant that's supposed to be the other half? Where'd that go?

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
Brazilian like South Indian need 16 weeks of flowering minimum, point bar ^^

That's how the community understanding got shit on through lies, stupidity and ignorance by some fake breeders who benefits from centuries of Afghan work.

Last edited:

kro-magnon

Veteran
Not all work on cannabis seeds was done in prohibition, in the 90's in Holland the breeders could have fields with thousands of plants for selection, a lot of work done in this period and after in Swiss in the 2000's created most of the plants still used today. Many seed lines were true to form, a pack of Super Skunk in the 90's was giving very similar plants in terms of height, structures, flowering time, there was some variations in the smells/tastes but nothing major.
The quality of the seeds degraded after the seed production was banned from Holland and after Swiss. We, growers had access to really well worked lines for a while because seeds producers could work legally at very large scale.
WW has always been an hybrid of indica/sativa, there is an indica dominance but it doesn't mean the sativa side is not there. if you make F2 with WW you'll see a lot of her ancestors traits like I've experienced in the GWS F2's.

xtsho

The whole Brazilian sativa story is a fairytale. Surely Scottybaba should have been able to tell us more about it and maybe even had a picture since he supposedly bred the White Widow with it. Since he's such master breeder then I'm sure he was maintaining this pure Brazilian landrace as a line for future projects seeing as it produced such a spectacular plant as the White Widow. So where is this supposed Brazilian sativa now? What about the Indian or whatever plant that's supposed to be the other half? Where'd that go?

What? All the cannabis stories are 100% true. It's all pure fact. Some dude that wasn't even born when WW was created heard it from a friend who heard it from some dude he was smoking a joint with in an alley behind a bar while getting drunk.

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
Pure Afghan has its sativa side to mislead...
10/14 weeks flowering window overthere...

Both pure Mazar I Shariff :
1714938175375.png

Balk province Afghanistan :
1714938663037.png

Kandahar, Afghanistan
1714938706579.png

Last edited:

OleReynard

It's true that tomatoes are less likely to go feral simply because they pollinate themselves, but that also means that a real breeding program is a lot more work and creating new strains is more difficult.

There's really no excuse for losing parent stock though. I have plants that are over 20 years old and I'm just some guy not Sensi Seeds. There are a number of famous cuts that have been around since the 90s that have been kept alive by random people.
Ya but as you can see now everybody is breeding something to the same cuts everybody else has.
Can't even begin to venture a guess at how many times, what thousands of times(I'd say very conservative estimate) and this is where you're bottle necking will come into play.
Sooner or later people are gonna be breeding what everybody is doing or has done, there will be no different no stand outs.
Everything will be the same.

There has been absolutely nothing new introduced except for hybrids.
Land races been round forever, granted not available to all but you can thank our big commercial growers for ruining that by giving hybrids back to the locals.

I said it before those that do not have pre2000 stock, you're all smoking main stream

OleReynard

What? All the cannabis stories are 100% true. It's all pure fact. Some dude that wasn't even born when WW was created heard it from a friend who heard it from some dude he was smoking a joint with in an alley behind a bar while getting drunk.
No they're not, not by a long shot

Cvh

Supermod
Free ☕
It might be interesting to look on Phylos Galaxy to see to what it relates and what not.

kro-magnon

Veteran
It might be interesting to look on Phylos Galaxy to see to what it relates and what not.
I regret there is not more DNA analysis of the different hybrids, it would finally cut the bullshit stories and force breeders to be truthful about the genetics used. But the scandal with Phylos who was recreating every samples they were interested in via tissue culture killed the trust of growers/breeders in this process.This business is so fucking cursed, when a tool who could give the true genetics of every plants appear it is hijacked by evil bastards.

xtsho

No they're not, not by a long shot

Oh I know. I don't believe 95% of the stuff people are spreading around. I've been online for a very long time going back to Compuserve. I had a Geocities website way back in the 90's and was smoking the real WW at that time as well.

Experience over the years has taught me to doubt almost everything you hear online. It just keeps getting worse. People arguing until they're blue in the face about some cannabis strain that came out before they were born when all they have to go by is something they read somewhere online. I just don't understand people that believe everything they read. The "I read it somewhere online so it must be true" mentality is here to stay.

Dime

Yes it is under "goods and services", but in this case specifically goods. Click on it for details... The trademark is valid for:
  • 3 Cleaning and fragrancing preparations; Household fragrances; Scented sachets; Extracts of flowers; Cushions filled with perfumed substances; Cushions filled with fragrant substances; Potpourris [fragrances]; Room fragrancing preparations.
  • 31 Aquaculture goods.
  • 34 Smokers' articles, namely ashtrays, lighters, filters, cigarette boxes, tobacco jars, cigarette rolling machines and pipes.
Ok they are going with the "potpourri" thing.

But interestingly, maybe you have a point, all of the requests for Sensi Seeds have been refused. Wonder why though, seeds are a legal product. Is it a failure of bureaucracy, or a success, because after all they were trying to trademark strains bred by others.. Shame they don't say the reason for refusal.

I read that's how it was legal in Switzerland. They sold aromatic pillows

Mr. J

Ya but as you can see now everybody is breeding something to the same cuts everybody else has.
Can't even begin to venture a guess at how many times, what thousands of times(I'd say very conservative estimate) and this is where you're bottle necking will come into play.
Sooner or later people are gonna be breeding what everybody is doing or has done, there will be no different no stand outs.
Everything will be the same.

There has been absolutely nothing new introduced except for hybrids.
Land races been round forever, granted not available to all but you can thank our big commercial growers for ruining that by giving hybrids back to the locals.

I said it before those that do not have pre2000 stock, you're all smoking main stream
I hear ya. If I knew then what I know now I would have bought a lot more seeds back in the 90s. I look at the old Mark Emery seed lists sometimes and feel like crying.

And don't even get me started on that asshole who goes around searching for the most exotic landrace genetics from the most remote reaches of the earth, and then gives the locals the same Dutch crap everyone has, completely polluting the local gene pool. It's fucking criminal if you ask me.

endgegner

They steal the landrace,give the natives no cash for it and instead give them mainstream hybrids in exchange that yield more to fool them into thinking they got the better end and they in turn unknowingly infect their own landraces and then the seed seller has a monopoly on the real deal. GHS for one does this.
And yet their stock sucks mostly. They fuck everything up to try to have a monopoly, but they can't work with it properly. Not sure, why they do it, I mean they don't breed with it anyway.

CannaT

starin' at the world through my rearview
Premium user
There was no "split". Nevil sold his seed business "The Seedbank" to Sensi Seeds in 1991 and stayed on as an employee for some time. Then some years later he was an employee at Greenhouse Seeds along with another guy Shantibaba. Shantibaba left Greenhouse in 1998 to start Mr Nice Seeds. Sensi Seeds released the Mr Nice strain in 1999.
Strain MR.Nice was rerelised 1999 first time it was relised was limited edition by the seedbank in 87 or 88 by name G13xHahsplant.
1000006529.jpg

goingrey

Strain MR.Nice was rerelised 1999 first time it was relised was limited edition by the seedbank in 87 or 88 by name G13xHahsplant.
View attachment 18998139
Sure but I suppose the confusion was with the name which came later.

Shanti felt some kind of way but it's possible Sensi didn't even know about his then-relatively-unknown seed company and just tried to replicate their marketing success of "Jack Herer" following a much-hyped book release (and I'm not knocking the hype, The Emperor Wears No Clothes and Mr Nice are both fantastic books).

CannaT

starin' at the world through my rearview
Premium user
Sure but I suppose the confusion was with the name which came later.

Shanti felt some kind of way but it's possible Sensi didn't even know about his then-relatively-unknown seed company and just tried to replicate their marketing success of "Jack Herer" following a much-hyped book release (and I'm not knocking the hype, The Emperor Wears No Clothes and Mr Nice are both fantastic books).
Yes probably it is,just like ED rosenthal super bud...Jack herer is almost the same as Silver Haze
Its something between Silver Haze and NL5haze...by some infos I got it was recreated but bit different Silver Haze cuz Neville prised this haze strain better than NL5haze...
Silver haze was
(Early skunk x NL5) x O.haze
Jack Herer
(shiva skunk x NL5) x O.haze

Silver haze cut that Nevile keept and called it "Super Silver Haze" was Jack Herer's favourite smoke that why Sensi named this lineage Jack Herer.
In fact newer sensi regs after the seed bank arent something better...its more of marketing thing.

Last edited: