What's new

Nomaad OD:2010

sackoweed

I took anger management already!!!! FUCK!!!
Veteran
MaaD
Howzit brother..?? Triple fooking A work brother, I love it and the comparison pics are awesome i love that kind of stuff so always give us those comparison shots please. The pic with dood standing in front is awesome. Happy harvest and way to rock it!!! peace n pufs..

sackO

nomaad

Veteran
Howdy folks.

For a while there, I didn't have a minute of time or a fraction of focus to spare on an update. But, as all things do, the harvest has come to an end. The season was epic and the trim scene (do i owe HL a nickle for using that term?) was pretty fucking intense.

I don't even know where to begin. I am sure everybody wants to hear about yield. Its impossible to be sure, but I am pretty sure that we pulled down at least one 8 pounder (Blue Dream) from one of the few 300's I had out in the secret garden. If not, it was damn close.

I made an executive decision to take the Pineapple Cough down early... it cost me in yield and quality, but a day after putting the plan into motion we woke up to find the remaining two trees fallen over under the weight of a 2 day storm. No amount of shakin' the plants was going to fix em. The 10' bamboo poles that were the main structural element were only rooted into the 18" deep pots and were insufficient to the task. A klot of work went into maintaining the plants' upright position with guy ropes and rebar stakes. The bamboo will be replaced with 12' T-posts in future deployments of individually trellised trees.

The PC would have finished right in step with the Blue Dream (about the latest i want to be dealing with the monsters) but, with the exception of one plant, it triggered about two weeks later than the Dream. The one exception is the freaky bit. What made it trigger in step with the Dream and the others so far behind. Mystifying.

The biggest challenge of the year (which may be somehow tied into the above mystery) was the constant battle with pathogens in the soil. I may have had some issues with it in '09, but i was not aware. The constant application of Mycostop kept it at bay. Next year I'll be using it as a prophylactic. I am also considering the Root Shield trychoderma, but I am not sure what its implications are to other, beneficial root zone microlife. Next year, I will have a scope or two and will begin to look a little deeper at what is happening.

I will do a better job of training and topping the Blue Dream in the future. The PC had a dream structure left to its own devices and given 3D trellissing to work with... but the Dream needs some help to develop more tops. The more tops you can get in there, the better you will yield with the Dream, and a little hel is required. I just let em grow like Xmas trees this year, and i think I would have done a bit better with the Dream with a little more manipulation.

After a full season of service, I am extremely happy with my doser/drip irrigation system. 100% problem free throughout. I will revise the flow to allow for a bypass and a couple of other bells and whistles next year, but for the most part, this is the system I will be using- with connfidence- in the future.

Another big challenge was the size and intensity of the trim. Managing people and egos was a constant source of stress.

I am still not ready to rely completely on machines. I have been paying close attention to mechanized trimming and the resulting product this year. I have seen a huge difference in the quality of machine trimmed ganja. Mostly that difference lies in how the nug is handled after it comes out of the machine. At some point, I have seen it done wet and dry) the crows feet and petioles need to be removed from the "negative topography" that the machines don't reach. Some people don;t do this at all... I think handling this once the nug is dry is the better road to travel. The wet product, straight from the machine has been beaten up a bit and coated in chlorophyll from being trimmed and tumbled. The more the ganja is handled in the state, the more of this chlorophyll gets worked into the nug. Seems better to let it dry before handling it to minimize this effect.

I am also very happy with Brix Mix as my main feed during veg. A funny thing happened; I lent my refractometer to a friend who never returned it, nor did I remember to grab it back at one of my opportunities... Anyhow, i just sort of forgot about brix and as time went on, I just lost the thread. In flower, mites became a serious issue, especially in the lower half of the canopy. Next year I will be on top of brix levels from beginning to end in hopes that maintaining those levels high will keep the mites at bay.

We let the Sour D go pretty late and the results are wonderful. The outdoor Chem D is 100% magic. Everything that it lacked in the black box (the bud structure sort of went pfoof at one point because of humidity) it has in full force.. the taste is bomb and the high is soaring and clear.

And the Blue Dream... Some will hate. I will go to my grave in love with this strain. I have always been a fan of both the Blueberry and Haze and this cut has the best of both, but with something extra that just makes me sizzle. Its my go-to smoke until 2pm when continued medication with the Dream will require a 25 minute weed nap. This year, I harvested my headstash in a 3 week window. The early stuff has a brighter taste and smell profile with the unique pungent/spicy note that i love. The "what the fuck are you smoking?!" note. The later stuff is beautifully colored and has smoky and nutty flavors. That pungent funk is diminished and the high is less energetic and more "what's on HBO?"

I have a handful of seeds from the Witches Weed pollination. About 10 from the Blue Dream and 6 or 8 from the PC. I will be popping them over the winter and hopefully running the keepers next season. I am very interested to see what comes from the BDxWW especially. We'll also be running a round of Chunky Cherry Malawi provided by Yankee Grower and we'll be looking for that early finishing pheno for inclusion in next year's endeavors.

Last edited:
G

Ganja D

So happy for you Nomad. Congratulations on an amazing year. Very excited to hear you made at least a few seeds. Was there a numbered label on the witches weed?
Thanks for the update.

T

TurboDog

invite me for a smoke out in your dome tent.....I must cross it off my list of places to smoke before I die...

try comb

invite me for a smoke out in your dome tent.....I must cross it off my list of places to smoke before I die...

lol.

---------------

great job nomaad....its nice to see a few of your struggles highlighted....should help others a lot. congrats on another great show.:artist:

zenoonez

Veteran
Great job maad, glad to see things went well even though you had some problems. Hope the fam is doing well, burn some of that BD for those of us still stuck in the non med states.

M

mugenbao

Thanks for the update. Been following this thread from beginning to end with much interest :)

Y

Yankee Grower

And the Blue Dream... Some will hate. I will go to my grave in love with this strain.
After seeing how things turned out I don't understand the hate. It was much better all around than I had expected after listening to what some said. I say grow more of it next year! I'm sure, like any strain, if not tended to properly it'll be subpar but you did a great job with it Nomaad...I was impressed with it :)

Dr.Know

Sounds like you had a great season Nomad, thanks for the post harvest report.

I had similar experiences with the blue dream this year. I let half of my dreams grow naturally, the other half I trained the branches horizontally through hortinova. As expected the trained plants yielded much better and were far easier to maintain. The dreams in 100-200g smartpots grown naturally were in the 8-12ft range where as the trained ones were only 8-10ft tall(including the smartpot) but 12-14ft in diameter. If I do the dream again next year I will going that route again, I lost too many branches when my make-shift bamboo trellises failed in bad weather.

I used my new twister trimmer on the majority of my crop this year and I was pretty happy with the results. The amount I processed single handed was quite amazing compared to the old fashioned method. You are correct when you say its all on how the bud is handled. At first I was running smaller amounts through the machine slowly, so it would do its best job of cutting close, then I would finish them up with a hand trim while they were wet before they went to they drying rack. After processing few lbs it was obvious to me I needed to change my methods as the buds looked like they were being bruised too much from being over handled. I switched over to dry trimming and most importantly how I was using the twister. I started overloading the machine with material so it wasn't able to cut as tightly. I figure if I have to do touch-up on the bud again anyways to remove the petioles and leaves that the twister missed I might was well try to preserve as many resin glands as possible. That small layer of leaves around the nugs really helps protect the trichomes when they are laying and flipped on the drying racks,

Next year plans to be the first real OD hit for me and then crew already preppin the land and been thinkin about strain selection everyone I talk to tells me go for the blue dream...

I think some of the best OD I have seen has usually been BD. Glad to hear you had such success with it.

Killer hit this year..... I bet the wheels are already turning for next year!!!!

Lifebreather

Veteran
Great job Nomaad!!

I've found that when you have no spare time left over from working the land, the harvest seems to creep up so much quicker.

I love your dome and am HEAVILY considering one.

The 8 pounder plant is awesome!! I'm going to be picking up Blue Dream in S. Oregon soon and hope to put a few in my field this year.

Madrus Rose

post 69
Veteran
Howdy folks.

For a while there, I didn't have a minute of time or a fraction of focus to spare on an update. But, as all things do, the harvest has come to an end. The season was epic and the trim scene (do i owe HL a nickle for using that term?) was pretty fucking intense.

I don't even know where to begin. I am sure everybody wants to hear about yield. Its impossible to be sure, but I am pretty sure that we pulled down at least one 8 pounder (Blue Dream) from one of the few 300's I had out in the secret garden. If not, it was damn close.

I have a handful of seeds from the Witches Weed pollination. About 10 from the Blue Dream and 6 or 8 from the PC. I will be popping them over the winter and hopefully running the keepers next season. I am very interested to see what comes from the BDxWW especially. We'll also be running a round of Chunky Cherry Malawi provided by Yankee Grower and we'll be looking for that early finishing pheno for inclusion in next year's endeavors.

Ya , train that Bluedream next yr & get her more spread out . Friend Kendo hit near 12lbs with his preservation haze once a while back , starting early pinching & topping & training her far into the season .

Can only imagine what the trimscene is like having so many personalities & egos on site etc . Know one fellow up there that has a full time chef every yr come in who used to be chef down here at our local Brew Pub. A 300lb jolly giant that keeps ppls fed & happy ( & inline ). Theres always those aces u try to hold onto like he has many that return yr after yr down from canada & out of state . I use two mexican brothers that live in the area who are really great friends , quiet & funny , trustworthy as hell & dam hard workers . They will sit for 14hrs sometimes with a dinner break & knock it out ...

Thanks for sharing all along the way , seems the last few yrs many of u OD growers have gotten closer tgether sharing knowledge & experiences ...and its been a boon to us all to be able to tag along the way & learn more of the tricks of the trade .

many props , u made it thru another one ! Now give yourself more time to rest & charge back up ! :wave:

mrose

PS: Now where did that Fisher & Hill get off to? lol
They always completely dissappear this time of yr . <g

nomaad

Veteran
So happy for you Nomad. Congratulations on an amazing year. Very excited to hear you made at least a few seeds. Was there a numbered label on the witches weed?
Thanks for the update.

I believe there was a 1 and a 2.

maybe to celebrate your 3,000th post on ICM.

I used my new twister trimmer on the majority of my crop this year and I was pretty happy with the results. The amount I processed single handed was quite amazing compared to the old fashioned method. You are correct when you say its all on how the bud is handled. At first I was running smaller amounts through the machine slowly, so it would do its best job of cutting close, then I would finish them up with a hand trim while they were wet before they went to they drying rack. After processing few lbs it was obvious to me I needed to change my methods as the buds looked like they were being bruised too much from being over handled. I switched over to dry trimming and most importantly how I was using the twister. I started overloading the machine with material so it wasn't able to cut as tightly. I figure if I have to do touch-up on the bud again anyways to remove the petioles and leaves that the twister missed I might was well try to preserve as many resin glands as possible. That small layer of leaves around the nugs really helps protect the trichomes when they are laying and flipped on the drying racks,

Thanks for the contribution. I will definitely be employing a twister or two next year and your input is much appreciated as I start to formulate my mechanized trim paradigm.

T

Trinity Gold

The 10+ pound Pres Haze you're talking about that Kendo grew was a seed plant that was put out in april cut back and revegged thru the summer. FWIW...

RESPECT! I plan on following along next season. I can barely wait. If you follow your learning curve from year one to year two then next year is going to be LEGENDARY. I hope that great things are turning up for you from the beans this winter.

Thank you for the wonderful thread. Now I have to go back through and read the whole thing. There is a wealth of information here. I appreciate you sharing.

Happy Growing,
CP

Latest posts

Latest posts