What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

New psychoactive cannabinoid discovered. THCP

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Yeah it is! More knowledge is always awesome, the wider the legalization net spreads the more real science can be done.

prune

Veteran
Hmm, wonder if this is a better explanation for the "entourage" effect than what we had been assuming?

zif

Veteran
It may be another piece. Better is a stretch.

Remember, Sam’s panel tried pure THC with single terpenes - and obtained different perceived effects. That doesn’t need any help from THCP.

The source material here (military grown ~8% potential THC) scarcely has THCP. It’s an open question if that’s the rule, or just the luck of the draw.

If it isn’t extremely rare (and barely there when present), I think we’ll find out pretty fast. Any clones with middling THC levels that “punch above their weight”, so to speak, would be interesting to screen it for potentially active levels of THCP. Just a percent or two could lead to noticeably different effects.

Hmm, wonder if this is a better explanation for the "entourage" effect than what we had been assuming?

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
It may be another piece. Better is a stretch.

Remember, Sam’s panel tried pure THC with single terpenes - and obtained different perceived effects. That doesn’t need any help from THCP.

I believe Sam's experiment was between pure THC and drysift. I don't think they tried pure THC with added isolated terpenes.
I believe he said it was drysift testing at around 50% THC. Dry sift got them higher. It's possible there was something else in there other than just terpenes.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I believe Sam's experiment was between pure THC and drysift. I don't think they tried pure THC with added isolated terpenes.
I believe he said it was drysift testing at around 50% THC. Dry sift got them higher. It's possible there was something else in there other than just terpenes.

I did also try 100% pure THC alone and spiked with single terpenes.
My question about THCP is if there is a specific THCP synthase that produces THCPA from CBGA, if yes then I am sure the THCPA levels can be raised by proper breeding. They have found CBDP are there other cannabinoid homologs with seven-term side alkyl chains, like CBCP, CBGP, or any others?
Recently they also found in Cannabis ‘cannabidibutol’, a novel butyl analog of CBD with a four-term alkyl side chain.
Several papers about these compounds are listed in my BIB, CANNABIS BIBLIOGRAPHY SORTED AND ALPHABETIZED BY SUBJECT
-SamS

G.O. Joe

Veteran
Weird how everyone is ready to explain different perceived effects with this mixture of cannabinoids - which no one else has ever seen and hasn't been actually been compared to other pot by pot smokers - but no way anyone will accept mixtures or absences of well known cannabinoids for that.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Weird how everyone is ready to explain different perceived effects with this mixture of cannabinoids - which no one else has ever seen and hasn't been actually been compared to other pot by pot smokers - but no way anyone will accept mixtures or absences of well known cannabinoids for that.

Few Cannabinoids affect the high from Cannabis with THC.
CBD modulates THC by making THC have a longer onset, reduced peak experience, and making these reduced effects last longer.
CBN modulates THC in a negative way for me, while CBC, THCV are suspected of acting similar to a lesser degree.
Terpenes do modulate and a few can potentiate THC.
I am curious about THCP but doubt it will be as important as suspected it could be. Until people can try pure or high ratios of THCP we just do not know.
-SamS

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Is it likely that there are still unidentified cannabinoids that exist at levels high enough to have any effect at all?

zif

Veteran
Sam, do you know anything about the FM2 clone (variety?) used in this work?

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Sam, do you know anything about the FM2 clone (variety?) used in this work?

No I know nothing about it.

A good paper to understand the Biogenesis of naturally occurring phytocannabinoids is: Phytocannabinoids: a unified critical inventory https://sci-hub.tw/10.1039/C6NP00074F
But it is a few years old and does not include CBDB or THCP or CBDP
It does discuss D9-cis-Tetrahydrocannabinol-type compounds and
D9-trans-tetrahydrocannabinol (D9-THC)-type compounds.

-SamS

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Is it likely that there are still unidentified cannabinoids that exist at levels high enough to have any effect at all?

Not much effects, but maybe different effects, and maybe the new Cannabinoid can be bred to increase them to high levels 10-20%?
Or bred higher levels of them with little or no other Cannabinoids present. It is hard to notice by smoking, a .1% of a psychoactive Cannabinoid if the variety also has 25% THC present.
-SamS

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I did also try 100% pure THC alone and spiked with single terpenes.
My question about THCP is if there is a specific THCP synthase that produces THCPA from CBGA, if yes then I am sure the THCPA levels can be raised by proper breeding. They have found CBDP are there other cannabinoid homologs with seven-term side alkyl chains, like CBCP, CBGP, or any others?
Recently they also found in Cannabis ‘cannabidibutol’, a novel butyl analog of CBD with a four-term alkyl side chain.
Several papers about these compounds are listed in my BIB, CANNABIS BIBLIOGRAPHY SORTED AND ALPHABETIZED BY SUBJECT
-SamS

Thanks for the correction :tiphat:

MindEater

In the past centuries, thc was the entourage effect of Cannabis. Most of the benefit I receive from the plant comes from stimulation of endocannabinoids by fatty acid esters. Eventually we'll find the strongest strains on earth have zero thc. Fairy certain.

Lots of people playing stupid about this. It's been known for a long time that differing fatty acid enzyme profiles ultimately provide the difference in effects.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
< It's been known for a long time that differing fatty acid enzyme profiles ultimately provide the difference in effects.>

Please expound with references, Thanks.

Emperortaima

Namekian resident/farmer
Been doing some serious research on "Delta-9-Tetrahydrocannabipherol" and reading that it is incredibly powerful! Will do some screenshots off a publication I have downloaded I'm sure Sam has already ran through the literature but will post the screenshots here to better educate those of you that have piqued interests on this topic

Seems to be responsible for

Hypomotility,
Catalepsy,
Analgesia as well as to decrease rectal temperature...

Sam may I please ask if you know of any strains that would possibly harbor this compound? I would like to grow stuff with this compound

CaptainDankness

I'd bet money on it. We still don't really know why Sativa and Indica give you a different high. I also really don't buy that terpines really do much for a high, when you really think about it it's just aroma therapy which is kind of a joke.

Not too mention that some strains will be lower in THC but feel like they're just as potent if not more. THCP could be the answer, though how hard is it to test for is my biggest question? If we could get a strain with just 1% THCP it would be stronger than anything available if it's really 33 times stronger than THC.

It's possible it's out there, probably some of the older strains from the 80's and 90's when we were going by perceived potency and not by THC numbers. Which I personally would not have bought a strain with 8% THC that was claimed to be incredibly strong just on ignorance of cannabinoids. Now I don't know what to believe. :abduct:

We really won't know until we learn how to properly test it. I wouldn't be surprised if most of these labs can't separate THC from THCP let alone give us specific numbers. If there is a lab that can I want their phone number, cause if I were to get a strain to test like 5% THCP it would change the world.:woohoo: Of course, if it's really 33 times stronger than THC.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Terpenes have to be doing something. There's definitely more going on, like has been said, but terpenes must play a role.
I read Japanese study that showed people that took a walk thru the forest were in a better mood afterwards. They attribute this to the pinene in the air. Blood samples showed higher levels of the terpenes after as compared to before. Of course just plain exercise and change of scenery probably played a roll as well.
But there's lots of terpene science out there about essential oils elevating mood. It's bound to play some roll.