What's new

New Plasma Tic-Tac bulb(140w=400w HID)

rave420

about the heat issue...
Look at how many watt that thing draws... The heat of the bulb is directly proportional to it's size (more specifically, surface area and specific resistance of whatever is conducting the electricity) and surface area. You can only create so much heat with a certain amount of energy. If you take the same amount of energy and put it into one tiny bulb the bulb will be hotter than if you were to put the same amount of energy into one bigger bulb operating on the same principal. But the overall heat output would be the same. the smaller bulb would put out more heat on a smaller space, and the bigger bulb would put out less heat on a bigger space.

Think about it as a matter of concentration. The more energy you concentrate on a smaller space the hotter it's going to get. Now, there are a number of factors, like shape, efficiency, as well as design that play a role in this. Hut as a general rule of thumb, more energy consumed, more heat produced.

N

nekoloving

about the heat issue...
Look at how many watt that thing draws... The heat of the bulb is directly proportional to it's size (more specifically, surface area and specific resistance of whatever is conducting the electricity) and surface area. You can only create so much heat with a certain amount of energy. If you take the same amount of energy and put it into one tiny bulb the bulb will be hotter than if you were to put the same amount of energy into one bigger bulb operating on the same principal. But the overall heat output would be the same. the smaller bulb would put out more heat on a smaller space, and the bigger bulb would put out less heat on a bigger space.

Think about it as a matter of concentration. The more energy you concentrate on a smaller space the hotter it's going to get. Now, there are a number of factors, like shape, efficiency, as well as design that play a role in this. Hut as a general rule of thumb, more energy consumed, more heat produced.

respectfully:

IIRC that's very true, however when comparing types of bulbs there are a couple other factors that come in to play- feel free to correct me if i make a mistake in here.

just like good insulation / reflection keeps the heat in the air, instead of in the walls, different materials of light would conduct the heat differently
and secondly how much of the light that comes out is in the `heat` band. in general when we're not talking about IR light specifically that the lamp is putting out, the heat that we're getting is from the absorbed light. look at what it's sitting in! i think it would be easier to cool this one than the other, its just MADE for liquid cooling IMNSHO [in my not so humble opinion ~_^]
This diagram shows how the peak wavelength and total radiated amount vary with temperature. Although this plot shows relatively high temperatures, the same relationships hold true for any temperature down to absolute zero. Visible light is between 380 to 750 nm.

from wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_radiation

This diagram shows how the peak wavelength and total radiated amount vary with temperature. Although this plot shows relatively high temperatures, the same relationships hold true for any temperature down to absolute zero. Visible light is between 380 to 750 nm.

the point being that the light is indeed very efficient supposedly; and is putting out far more light at 250W than the other light was doing with much more power. if it doesn't waste the light in too much IR range, then its conceivable that the light even at the same power levels would give off far less `unusable` light.

the reason [again as i understand thermodynamics :D] the plants don't glow like the rest of it, is because the light they absorb they use that potential energy for chemical reactions - just saying the efficiency is the whole point?

420.se

I truly think he wasn't talking about the heat the light gave off, but the color spectrum. He said clearly kelvin...and that is a measurement of spectrum.

Kelvin is also a temperature scale ranging from absolute zero (-273°C) upward. If you ever need to convert Celcius to Kelvin, simply subtract 237.

Latest posts

Latest posts