What's new

New Plasma Tic-Tac bulb(140w=400w HID)

BlindDate

Veteran
Hey knna,

Where did you get those lumen numbers from? Gota link? As far as I could see, it's still only 140 lumens/watt. And watts are watts.

simba

Sleeping Dragon
ya that thing ROX>> def not the best but close YA RF

thats better than RF Sulfur since its avail now
and still the next best to RF CMH.has the best spd for us.(and soon to arrive)
for what it is its awsome..
ya its SPD and other things need work on it but we can put a 50 or 100 watt unit in a super small space and have Super easy cooling threw ducting.
it only requires 25cfm to cool it..
its shows we are close to real sunlight for our plants indoors without crazy high watts..
someone said
"they estimate junction temps at the rf unit to be around 130ºC. Its hot for electronic equipment, and it may result in reliability problems. I would wait some time to check it before buying."
i have to beg to differ..

i work with LEDs that have a junction temp of 120ºC on a 4x4mm post..
and as long as you can move the heat away it can stay at 120C no probs..
and for example i have a ballast that runs COOL to the touch because of a simple PC CPU heatsink and 20cfm fan on it..
the cooling of the unit im not concerned with in any way shape or form.. my only concern is how much is the price going to be jacked cause its so great..and can easily be used by us now..

thermal management makes a huge difference without much effort if done right..

rf is the future in lighting.. cmh is CLOSE>> just not our market yet..

ballast was cool to touch in 75F room.. (after fan off for 2 minutes it was getting HOT 5 min after fan off no touching any more, 15 minutes after fan was back on cool to touch again)
heat sink Thermally Epoxied to Sanded ballast core with Mg Chemical 832TC thermally conductive epoxy/encapsulate (Awesome way to keep ballast cool)
i should make a thread on it.

SSPX0651-1.jpg

Last edited:

BlindDate

Veteran
Thank you professor knna. Your bullshit is dully noted.

I'll stick to my original opinion. The only advantage I can see is the small size. Maybe we can water cool them easier.

raygun

simba said:
ballast was cool to touch in 75F room.. (after fan off for 2 minutes it was getting HOT 5 min after fan off no touching any more, 15 minutes after fan was back on cool to touch again)
heat sink Thermally Epoxied to Sanded ballast core with Mg Chemical 832TC thermally conductive epoxy/encapsulate (Awesome way to keep ballast cool)
i should make a thread on it.

SSPX0651-1.jpg

Yes please do and if you would not mind providing a link back here for referance. :headbange
Thanks

IGrowWithLEDs

BlindDate said:
Thank you professor knna. Your bullshit is dully noted.

I'll stick to my original opinion. The only advantage I can see is the small size. Maybe we can water cool them easier.

Ouch man. knna is one of the most respected researchers in this line of growing. what you said is absolute blasphemy. but as you said, it is ur opinion, but opinion is opinion and it doesn't need to be said disrespectfully. thats just wrong.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
nightcrawler said:
didnt they also say: "It gets as hot as the sun" How would u cool something like that?

6000 kelvin....???? isn't that a color spectrum, not a heat measurement???

Deft

Get two birds stoned at once
Veteran
I just don't think the temp is the whole story, I think BTU or some similar kind of measurement would be best to see how much heat its throwing off which is after all what matters here.

Its not hard to insulate an element with a vacuum and have actual temp be of little issue.

the whole thing about getting as hot as the sun isnt referring to the temperature its referring to the light temperature ..the kelvin (colour of the bulb)

ie hps is the red spectrum is 2700K (kelvin)
mh is 6400K

an energy saving lighbulb or a cfl is cool enough to touch when on but yet the kelvin is 6500K .... colour not temperature

laterz

Last edited:

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i think it is just how it was said after listening to it over a couple of times. I truly think he wasn't talking about the heat the light gave off, but the color spectrum. He said clearly kelvin...and that is a measurement of spectrum.

I mean, really, if it was as hot as the surface of the sun, do you think they would be standing next to it touching the glass......

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
Deft said:
Lots of stuff gets as hot as the surface of the sun.
What gets 5500-6000 degrees Celsius (10,000-11,000 F)?
The BOILING point of iron is 2750 degrees celsius...
Glass boils at 2355...
Platinum boils at 3825...

The number given in relation to the light is color temperature, as has been stated...

Deft

Get two birds stoned at once
Veteran
Arcs right? Thats how we light our gardens after all. Here something I found in a pdf (http://www.fm.vslib.cz/~kel/subjects/rac/svetlo.pdf) on lighting.

"Principles of HP discharges
The surface of the sun is a hot gas and this is why it glows. High pressure discharges
generate volumes of hot gas and they also glow, with the characteristic spectrum of the
elements and molecules in the gas. The temperature in the centre is in the region of
4000-6000K and at the tube wall ~ 1000K."

I feel like I'm always hearing about things as hot or hotter than the surface of the sun.

simba

Sleeping Dragon
to answer the heat question who cares LOL.. well we do but as long as there numbers are correct the simple fan will keep it cool..

my only question is When are they due off the production line.. it was never been a question of how.. just when others would stop using waveguides and Magnatrons.(the killer of RF induction Feed back and what magnatron is watercooled? None.. They allways used house and comercial Nukes nothing designed for 24/7 operation
and gone Digital like the tic tac as its now called..
i will and keep repeating.. i dont like the spd its to much like Rf sulfur way to much blue to red ratio and 50+% of its energy is outright wasted yet it has a good life and the size.. and the Brutal output Brute force is what this thing has....

night why ya not sold..

Last edited:
N

nekoloving

20 seconds in they say its using about 250 watts compared to the 400