What's new

New extraction technique? Rosin tech?

Cactus Squatter

Is anyone here working with fresh frozen buds and then dry ice sifting it before pressing?
Are you lightly grinding/chopping up your buds first or are you just throwing them in with the dry ice and letting it break things up?

I didn’t get an answer so I searched the net and followed all of the fresh frozen instructions I could find. Most instructions seem to parrot what the press club has on their page so I followed that.

My conclusion? Huge waste of time, bud and water. I could give 2 shits that people say it “tastes better” and “ooooh the terps”, this was a shitty experience over 12 different plants in all aspects for me. The only benefit using fresh frozen has for me is the speed at which you can have a plant cut, prepped and frozen. After that I think I’d rather go get stuck waste deep in bog mud than waste any more time with it.

The yields are ridiculously less than when drying first and then running for bubble, and even when being as gentle as possible I am getting far more chlorophyll contamination.
The resin heads are also way stickier and clog up the bubble bag screens in a way I’ve never seen with running dried flower for bubble. Getting the dried hash off of the 25 micron drying screens is next to impossible with some of them, I may as well have just thrown already pressed rosin on the screens, smashed it in and then tried to gather it up.

3rd wash run is absolute green garbage where a 3rd run of dry bud would have been still worthwhile. I make bubble hash almost every month and by far this was the most disappointing “experiment” I’ve ever done with it.

After the whole process, and then pressing for rosin, my per plant yield is easily 2-3x less than what it would have been had I just dried and pressed my buds.

I’m going to give the dry ice technique a run with a few more of the frozen bags I have, but I’m pretty sure I’ll never be doing fresh frozen again even though the prep was super easy. I can’t see how the dry ice tech would be any better with fresh frozen than the water method.

So far for me the most efficient, highest yielding, highest quality, best rosin experience has come from pressing flower that has just hit the 62-65% humidity range.

Rodehazrd

Thanks for the update cactus squatter. I have an unused press and hopefully will be pressing my first in s month or so.
In your research did you find a proper cure to render better rosin or just dry quick?

dogzter

Drapetomaniac
I didn’t get an answer so I searched the net and followed all of the fresh frozen instructions I could find. Most instructions seem to parrot what the press club has on their page so I followed that.

My conclusion? Huge waste of time, bud and water. I could give 2 shits that people say it “tastes better” and “ooooh the terps”, this was a shitty experience over 12 different plants in all aspects for me. The only benefit using fresh frozen has for me is the speed at which you can have a plant cut, prepped and frozen. After that I think I’d rather go get stuck waste deep in bog mud than waste any more time with it.

The yields are ridiculously less than when drying first and then running for bubble, and even when being as gentle as possible I am getting far more chlorophyll contamination.
The resin heads are also way stickier and clog up the bubble bag screens in a way I’ve never seen with running dried flower for bubble. Getting the dried hash off of the 25 micron drying screens is next to impossible with some of them, I may as well have just thrown already pressed rosin on the screens, smashed it in and then tried to gather it up.

3rd wash run is absolute green garbage where a 3rd run of dry bud would have been still worthwhile. I make bubble hash almost every month and by far this was the most disappointing “experiment” I’ve ever done with it.

After the whole process, and then pressing for rosin, my per plant yield is easily 2-3x less than what it would have been had I just dried and pressed my buds.

I’m going to give the dry ice technique a run with a few more of the frozen bags I have, but I’m pretty sure I’ll never be doing fresh frozen again even though the prep was super easy. I can’t see how the dry ice tech would be any better with fresh frozen than the water method.

So far for me the most efficient, highest yielding, highest quality, best rosin experience has come from pressing flower that has just hit the 62-65% humidity range.
I dry tumble through a 120 screen then press that through 25 micron bags at 175 and get excellent yields and quality.
I quit using any water cept in the bongs and the plants.

dogzter

Drapetomaniac
IMG_20240423_154439_9.jpg

IMG_20230703_135925_5.jpg

Latest posts

Latest posts