What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Motherlode Gardens 2018

nickman

Veteran
Just beautiful! :tiphat:That is my dream being able to grow outside like that.

Being Australian I know all about the dangers on fires. I hope you and your girls stay safe.

Yeah me too... I so wish I could do something like that...!!!... growing the plants to their fullest potential...!!!... :tiphat:.

Things are looking GREAT budddy... :)...

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
pruned and trellised the big plants today, takes a couple hours per plant. I am very particular about the way we prune the big plants, it's important to thin out all the inner growth to get ready for flowering. We still use the old Tom Hill "pistil-whip" technique, and it really makes the plants explode outward with new growth.

we have the pruning process pretty dialed in so it's mostly just mindless work , and really easy. it's nice to spend some time inside the plants, getting up close and personal. the leaves make my face itch though after a while ..

It's really cool that all of our biggest plants right now are from my own seeds, the sprite and the ancient og. pretty impressive especially when i consider the competition they are up against: kayas dream, rebel dream, snow leopard, banana pie, 501st og, and other known yielders..

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Whats the pistol-whip technique? The hard work will pay off. Should get more of the quality flowers and less mold issues! We should all be making out own seed and breeding better herb. Every year the strains get better! Thanks for the update Shrews! Got the plants trellised now! :smoke:

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Whats the pistol-whip technique? The hard work will pay off. Should get more of the quality flowers and less mold issues! We should all be making out own seed and breeding better herb. Every year the strains get better! Thanks for the update Shrews! Got the plants trellised now! :smoke:

pistil-whip, not pistol-whip.

basically you remove the inner growth tips but keep the fan leaves on. this will direct energy away from those future budsites that wont get enough light, while still preserving all the plant's solar panels. We do this two or three times in a season, about every month or so since germination, up until they begin flowering

I would take pictures but the tech was already documented in the big plants thread. and copied into one of my old threads, go through and i'm sure you'll find it. if not then let me knowand maybe i'll make a tutorial

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
smokey sunset pictures

smokey sunset pictures

"Skank Zappa" from Whodatisco:
(SFV x Dank Zappa)
she's hitting the 7-foot mark. i expect her to finish strong
bYCV8dkh.jpg

"Rebel Dream" from Ganja D. / Ganjarebelseeds:
(blue dream x chem) x bluedream)
I can't believe how big this plant is getting. In the native soil with no amendments or feedings at all except weekly foliar.
G84FBWCl.jpg

Direwolf, from my own seeds:
(timberwolf x ancient OG)
This plant has been perky all year, never skipped a beat. she pre-flowered and revegged a bit but you could barely tell! what a breeze to grow... and the weed should be fire too.
gU0OXB2l.jpg

Ancient OG F3:
these two plants are sisters, and they look very similar. super stretchy with that classic AOG structure.
33iVSvnl.jpg

Banana Pie, DNA genetics:
this is our second-widest plant.
FzvJxbJl.jpg

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
purple stem Ancient OG f2

purple stem Ancient OG f2

this one is easily the biggest plant ive ever grown. i cant believe the vigor. there really is something magical in the Ancient OG line.

FJUFMrRl.jpg

tSTbF7Wl.jpg

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Ancient OG f3:
Ws3Ybofl.jpg

Kaya's Dream (south fork seeds):
QD7YDTZl.jpg

Snow Leopard (bodhi seeds):
i3aPhNKl.jpg

Purple Sprite
(Sprite x Purple Ancient OG)
grown in native soil with water only:
mQSgXE3l.jpg

Blood Orange Tangie x Cherry Pie x Legend OG, from BYF:
69LWCNml.jpg

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Oh yeah, pistil whip! Gets more pistils on the plant, i like it! Been doing that too. Good for airflow.

Thanks for the quick tour! OG's are looking great. Naturally branchy indicas and ready to produce. Its impressive how healthy the native soil plants are. Not a yellow leaf there!

Your little dog is ready for bed. I can tell he loves his daddy! Beautiful smokey sunset shots! Thanks for the update my friend! They're growing now! :smoke:

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It was a big update. Sweet California summer vibes! Looks like a fun place to work and play! The garden is so healthy this year. Plants are all cleaned up ready for the next stage! Looking at some heavy yields I would say! Great work guys! Garden is doing better now that you have a lovely lady to help! Have to be proactive as possible! :smoke:

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
It was a big update. Sweet California summer vibes! Looks like a fun place to work and play! The garden is so healthy this year. Plants are all cleaned up ready for the next stage! Looking at some heavy yields I would say! Great work guys! Garden is doing better now that you have a lovely lady to help! Have to be proactive as possible! :smoke:
yah i am pretty happy with plant health this year. our only issue has been overwatering at a couple points, but most of the garden pushed right through that. Unless something unforeseen happens, our next step is planning harvest...

If we yield more than last year it may be too much for our drying space, so we may need to set up another one, or risk leaving some things in the field longer than we should, however we grew a lot of different strains this year in hopes of a staggered harvest which could help avert this potential pitfall. We can fit about 100 pounds in the drying room at a time, the way it's set up currently. I like to let everything dry for at least a week so it's just a question of whether we have more than 100lbs needing to be harvested in any given week.

After the drying process we need to decide how we will get the weed trimmed. We cant afford to hire a trim crew anymore, not with ganja prices bottoming out. Last year we spent a huge portion of our profit on trimming. I have been looking at various dry trimming machines, but haven't really decided on anything. they are all expensive but still much cheaper than a crew, and they can in fact produce some decently-trimmed buds, something which a few of our human trimmers had a tough time with last year. :rolleyes:

Part of me wants to just skip the whole thing and freeze half our crop fresh off the vine. No trimmers just freezers. But then we will need to find a good extractor to work with, which is getting tough in cali. All the good guys went legal and now they won't take my weed because i'm not a licensed producer. The alternative to that, of course, is to make our own extracts here. I wouldn't be opposed to pressing some Live Rosin, but that will take more time and work, and involves a learning curve and more stuff to buy (rosin press, ice hash gear etc). Not to mention the fact that we didn't sell much of our fresh-frozen terp-sauce last year, and are still sitting on several jars full despite it being some of the best bho i've ever smoked.

so...

Does anybody have experience making Live Rosin on a large scale? What things should i buy/do to get started with that? and is anyone still handtrimming their weed in cali? If so how much do you pay your trimmers, and what percentage of your gross profit goes toward that?

AND, if anyone has any recommendations for the best dry-trimming machine, feel free to share. Looking for something that can do at least 10lbs per day or so, and produce good results, although i have no experience with machines so therefore have no idea if that is a reasonable expectation.

...any advice or comments welcome. peace!
JmGWi8Dh.jpg

xet

yah i am pretty happy with plant health this year. our only issue has been overwatering at a couple points, but most of the garden pushed right through that. Unless something unforeseen happens, our next step is planning harvest...

If we yield more than last year it may be too much for our drying space, so we may need to set up another one, or risk leaving some things in the field longer than we should, however we grew a lot of different strains this year in hopes of a staggered harvest which could help avert this potential pitfall. We can fit about 100 pounds in the drying room at a time, the way it's set up currently. I like to let everything dry for at least a week so it's just a question of whether we have more than 100lbs needing to be harvested in any given week.

After the drying process we need to decide how we will get the weed trimmed. We cant afford to hire a trim crew anymore, not with ganja prices bottoming out. Last year we spent a huge portion of our profit on trimming. I have been looking at various dry trimming machines, but haven't really decided on anything. they are all expensive but still much cheaper than a crew, and they can in fact produce some decently-trimmed buds, something which some of our trimmers had a tough time with last year.

is anyone still handtrimming their weed in cali? If so how much do you pay your trimmers, and what percentage of your gross profit goes toward that?

AND, if anyone has any recommendations for the best dry-trimming machine, feel free to share. Looking for something that can do at least 10lbs per day or so, and produce good results, although i have no experience with machines so therefore have no idea if that is a reasonable expectation.

any advice or comments welcome. peace!

Green Broz trimmer all the way. Awesome garden. As far as hand-trimming goes one skilled person should do 4-7 excellent lbs a day depending on strain. With those trees and a staggered harvest doing it all your self might not hurt so bad come pay day.

Mr.Miner

Very beautiful pictures. Thanks for posting them and for sharing your thoughts and process. I always look forward to reading this thread. Thank you.