What's new

More Big Money plans to invade the Emerald Triangle

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
San Francisco, CA (Vocus/PRWEB) March 25, 2011

Today, on the heels of the release of the first U.S. market data report putting the size of the domestic medical marijuana market at $1.7 billion, The ArcView Group announced the formation of the cannabis industry's first angel investment network. The ArcView Angel Network will facilitate seed and early stage investment in federally legal enterprises within the medical cannabis industry, and will host the Cannabis Investment Forum Series (CIF), a groundbreaking series of events exclusively for the top ancillary cannabis business entrepreneurs and qualified investors.

"Extraordinary rewards await investors with the courage and vision to be a part of building the new cannabis industry," said ArcView Group President, Stephen DeAngelo, also Executive Director of Harborside Health Center - the nation's largest model medical cannabis collective. "The ArcView Angel Network will open the door to the most promising business opportunities.

"There are many interested investors and investment-worthy entrepreneurs in the cannabis sector. But so far, that has not resulted in much investment. The lack of market data, industry knowledge and access to opportunities contributed to investor's perception of unacceptable risk.

The ArcView Angel Network and the See Change Strategy market report address this by simultaneously giving potential investors the information needed to make good investment decisions, and a steady flow of the best investment opportunities," said ArcView Group CEO, Troy Dayton.

"As I look at all the emerging industries right now, the medical cannabis industry stands out as having much promise. The development of the ArcView Angel Network, the release of quality market data, and the creation of a national industry association are all signs of a maturing industry. I'm looking forward to participating in the ArcView Angel Network to have access to the best pre-vetted opportunities," said Ken Maeda, a Northern California angel investor.

"As an ancillary business owner in the cannabis industry, I am really excited about the launch of the ArcView Angel Network. As StickyGuide.com seeks investment to expand our medical cannabis directory and review web site, it is crucial that we get in front of qualified investors in a time-efficient manner," said Scott Hinerfeld of StickyGuide.com.

"Angel investment forums have proven key to high tech, bio-tech, green-tech, and social media start-up investment, and are the next logical step in the cannabis industry's emergence," said Troy Dayton, ArcView Group CEO.

The See Change Strategy market report estimates 1.3 billion dollars in state-legal medical marijuana retail sales in 2011 with a 5-year market potential of 8.7 billion. Since approximately 60% of a retailer's costs are for things other than cannabis, that indicates that there is just under a billion dollars worth of opportunity for ancillary businesses serving retailers.

These include everything from software, to advertising, to staffing, to packaging, to insurance, to potency and purity lab testing. These satellite business are simply serving existing retailers. In addition, business opportunities abound to serve patients' needs (ie. consumption devices) and support for cultivator's (ie. plant nutrients) and investors (ie. market data).

The ArcView Group is facilitating the emergence of the legal cannabis industry by connecting forward-thinking investors and visionary entrepreneurs. The ArcView Group will choose a date and location of the first Cannabis Investment Forum based on investor and entrepreneur availability.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2011/03/25/prweb8239245.DTL#ixzz1HjDws9kn

Just pasted content for you :)

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You guys know that RJ Reynolds owns one of the largest tracks of privately held land their? You think they might be preparing for/when marijuana comes fully legal?

They also have been buying large tracks of land in the San Jauquin Valley near where I grew up in Fresno as well, and I don;t think their thinking of growing grapes.

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
Flash holels, big money, golf course--sounds like what happened to Goa
Trouble is we live in a world run by bread-head, for bread-heads.

Since i can't make a thread in this section i figured i'd post this up in here. Since it falls under this category.

Scotts Miracle Gro Getting into the MMJ Business

"Scotts Miracle-Gro Co. has long sold weed killer. Now, it's hoping to help people grow killer weed.

Scott's Miracle-Gro is hoping to cash in on the growing medical marijuana business.

In an unlikely move for the head of a major company, Scotts Chief Executive Jim Hagedorn said he is exploring targeting medical marijuana as well as other niches to help boost sales at his lawn and garden company.

"I want to target the pot market," Mr. Hagedorn said in an interview. "There's no good reason we haven't."

Continued here http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...SJ_hp_MIDDLENexttoWhatsNewsThird&fbresult=add

I'm thinking Fox Farms has the best chance of being the company to get bought up in this situation, we'll see i guess. While i hate it when big corporations let the little guys build up an industry then swoop in and buy it up once all the hard work is done, at least this is a step in the right direction towards mainstream MMJ acceptance. Wonder if after this is done Scotts will send some pro MMJ lobbiests out to open up some more potential markets?

irieeyes808

Who would go to such a resort?
Yeah that is very shity big business getting involved into something individuals have worked hard for all of thier lives and especially in the Triangle. It's just messed up it would ruin something so special about the most beautiful region of California. So you will have a bunch of urban yuppies infiltrating the place and turning it into fucking Disnyland. Keep it small, in the circle and low key. This is just profoundly disturbing.

Last edited:

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
People in my ex-corner of the Emerald Triangle were hard pressed to walk away from the Dab Pipe long enough to show any ambition to start ANYTHING Business-wise. Any new ideas were SOUNDLY ignored. People too sensitive, and fearful to get off their asses to do anything except eat food. And "Bragg" about any and everything.

It's Dynamic here, where I am now. Numerous Opp'tys -industrious-effective people, except for the 90% shitty growers who think they know it all. haha.

supermanlives

Veteran
^^^ sounds like my area. met a guy bragged about using avid and said it was gone in 2 weeks.anyone bragging about using avid aint gonna be my friend. he also sucked at pool. so is my resort ready . I am at sequoia when can I come up. lol

stasis

Veteran
I read some absurd drivel that claimed that Phillip Morris purchased the rights to the name "Marley," for future packs of blunts.

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
I read some absurd drivel that claimed that Phillip Morris purchased the rights to the name "Marley," for future packs of blunts.

If they make any connectio=on to Bob Marley, they will have to pay the Marley estate, just like everyone else.
There are already Bob Marley Papers.
I think the Tobacco companies own a lot of the oldschool weed names such as Acapulco gold, Panama red etc. I bet the Skunkman would know.

Last edited:

HellaFella420

Veteran
I still feel that Kym Kemp is a total twat, she's more into shameless sensationalism, and blatant self-promotion.

LoCo isn't a 21st century KMUD/CLMP, like they are trying to model themselves after..

Their unique brand of yellow journalism and prismatic coverage of topics disgusts me.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
From Humboldt Living:

In order to compete in the post-legalization world of corporate entities and government taxation many have suggested (including Humboldt Living) an official Humboldt marijuana brand name. The following is the basics for creating a 1000 growers cooperative based in Humboldt County.

The high-grade marijuana will be produced in the outdoor terroir of Humboldt County under strict organic guidelines and will be called Humboldt Gold.

DOES THAT MEAN ONLY ONE KIND WILL BE GROWN?

It will be 2% of the overall statewide demand and target the high-end niche market (essentially the same price that is currently paid).

SO THE PRICE IS NOT DETERMINED BY THE MARKET SUPPLY AND DEMAND?

Humboldt Gold will be sold in recycleable glass jars in 1/4 ounce, 1/2 ounce and full ounce containers.

WHY GLASS? NITROGEN PACKED FOIL IS BETTER! LIGHTER ALSO.

The price per pound for dispenaries will be $3300.

UNBELIEVABLE!!! PRICES HAVE FALLEN FOR THE PAST DECADE, YOU ARE GOING TO STOP THAT? HOW?

This accounts for the $800 legalization tax, $500 of charitable donations and $400 in official Humboldt Gold Cooperative testing, certification, packaging, marketing and sales. It also includes a $200 per pound minimum wage for all trimmers. This leaves the landowner / grower with a net profit of $1500 per pound with a strict maximum of 42 pounds per year. Each grower can therefore net $63,000 per year.

$800 TAX? ON A PRODUCT THAT SELLS FOR $3300 THAT IS ALMOST 25%, CRAZY.

$500 TO CHARITABLE DONATIONS? IF 42 POUNDS THEN THAT IS $21,000 OR 1/3rd AS MUCH AS THE GROWER GETS TO KEEP BEFORE EXPENSES.

$400 A POUND FOR TESTING, CERTIFICATION, PACKAGING, MARKETING, SALES? WHAT ABOUT CANNABIS THAT DOES NOT PASS TESTING? IT ENDS UP ON THE BLACK MARKET, NO ONE WILL TOSS THEIR UNCERTIFIED CANNABIS, WISE UP....
AND $400 A POUND IS A LOT FOR WHAT YOU GET IN RETURN.

$200 A POUND FOR TRIMMERS? I THOUGH DIFFERENT VARIETIES REQUIRED DIFFERENT AMOUNTS OF LABOR TO TRIM? I GUESS NO ONE WILL TRIM THE HARD TO TRIM BUT POTENT VARIETIES?

THE GROSS PROFIT IS $63,000 NOT THE NET, ARE YOU THAT BLIND? WHAT ABOUT THE EXPENSES TO HAVE A GROW?

All marijuana produced under the Humboldt Gold seal of approval will require the following:

* Marijuana must be produced within the Humboldt County borders.

NOT SO EASY TO PROVE OR MONITOR.

* At least a 20% THC content verified by the HG testing labs on a per pound basis.

THC, AS WELL AS THE OTHER CANNABINOIDS IF PRESENT, AS WELL AS THE TERPENE PROFILE AND %'s. THC MEANS LITTLE WITHOUT THE OTHER CANNABINOIDS & TERPENE ANALYSIS.

* 100% organic growing techniques and fertilizers certified by HG inspectors on a weekly basis and by thorough final product testing.

THEY WILL NEED TO TEST FOR PESTICIDES AND FUNGICIDES AT LEAST.

* A mold-free certification for each pound produced.

IS THAT FOR BOTRYTIS, OR POWERY MILDEW, OR DOWNEY MILDEW, OR THE OTHER MOLD PATHOGENS?

* A mite-free certification for each pound produced.

WHAT ABOUT APHIDS, THRIPS, LEAF MINERS, WHITE FLYS, CATERPILLARS, AND ALL THE OTHER INSECTS THAT PREY ON CANNABIS?

* A moisture content in the 12-15% range for all packaged marijuana.

GROWERS WILL ONLY SELL CANNABIS THAT IS 15%, WHY LOSE 20% OF THE WATER WEIGHT WHEN YOU WILL PAY FOR IT?

* Strict adherence to the HG officially sanctioned drying and curing process.

WHAT IS THE OFFICIALLY SANCTIONED PROCESS?

* A air-tight and moisture-proof glass jar with tamper-proof packaging.

HOW DO YOU GET THE GLASS JAR AIR TIGHT? VACUUM SEALERS REMOVE TERPENES, NOT A GOOD IDEA, FOIL PACKAGES WITH NITROGEN IS MUCH BETTER.

* A printed listing of both the certified strain, strain history, regional designation and a production date.

HUMBOLDT GOLD IS NOT THE NAME TO BE USED FOR ALL? CAN ANY STRAIN BE GROWN EVEN IF NEVER GROWN IN HUMBOLDT BEFORE?

* A 16.8% charitable donation

WHAT IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO DO THIS? WILL IT BE REQUIRED? IT IS NOT A DONATION IF IT IS REQUIRED.

* A minimum wage paid to all trimmers.

THAT IS A LOT DIFFERENT THEN JUST $200 A POUND.

* A $50 per Ounce Tax to fulfill the California State Law.

IS THAT ON WHOLESALE OR ON RETAIL OR ON BOTH? IF BOTH THEN UPTO HALF THE PRICE IS TAXES. TAX FREE BLACK MARKET CANNABIS WILL BE ABLE TO EASILY COMPETE IN SUCH A MARKET.

The following is the pricing breakdown per pound of marijuana as it will be distributed to the various entities of the marijuana cooperative:

LINK DOES NOT WORK.

http://www.humboldtliving.com/articles.php?article_id=87

-SamS

Last edited:

stasis

Veteran
Hard to know where to look for the next opp'ty.. California's fouled until something drastic changes, unless one has distribution worked out.

Last edited:

supermanlives

Veteran
east coast....mass decrim, maine med, nh considering options... locate central and ship.... considering going home myself

stasis

Veteran
If One is lucky enough to have family ties (and land) in Norcal, that's great. Make sure to rent out that second house on the property for a sum that insures One's financial freedom from high costs - and continued high rent costs in the area - but passes it on to the Trustafarians One rents it to... I'd have never left, but it ain't pretty.. I lasted 10 years.. If one has to work for a living, well that's the wrench thrown in the works. Ain't No Work, Braddah. It's Local Rednecks, and Marin County North Now - Mommy and Daddy money.

New Cash Comes, New Cash Spent, hands open wide... Later, equipment sold, money gone, hands open wide. The cycle of life continues. The "Shitshow that is Rural Norcal." A lot like life in transitional Hawaii.

Maybe things will change with Legalization. Who knows anymore..?

Last edited:

bigshrimp

Veteran
Too bad Norcal just spent ten years trying to pretend that they don't supply 80% of all the weed in the US.

Fuck you Arcata city council - you could have had this shit on lock a long time ago. Instead you were more concerned with all the traveling kids upsetting the good taste the rich bastards they wanted to rub shoulders with.

HG23

I completely agree bigshrimp. They wasted/are wasting pretty much the only opportunity to keep this place on the map.

Molocxc

I still feel that Kym Kemp is a total twat, she's more into shameless sensationalism, and blatant self-promotion.

LoCo isn't a 21st century KMUD/CLMP, like they are trying to model themselves after..

Their unique brand of yellow journalism and prismatic coverage of topics disgusts me.
There will be huge investments made and lost. People with jobs in the new industries will be lost.

Latest posts

Latest posts