What's new

Matisyahu-Anyone Ever Heard of Him?

G

If I want to listen to reggae then I listen to a black man from Jamaica, not a WHite Jew from Isereal or wherever the fuck he came from. Why does he rap with jamaican accent, that isnt jamaican ....that is Jafaikan. Jews are good for Rabbis and money, leave the reggae to the jamaicans please. That means you too Sean Paul. Another fake one.

Nevermind

.♠.

I often question that also, Why do some artists rap/sing with a jamacian accent when they are not.

I was watching a performance about a year back where this white guy is up on stage singing away in a very thick accent. I think to myself, damn that guy must have grown up in Jamaca. Then I hear him speak inbetween songs, with absolutely no trace of the accent. Weak!

I will have to download a couple of Matisyahu's songs and give them a listen, now I'm curious.

Oreganic

Hey, it's good music, and ge preaches a good message. I love hip hop, raggae and am intersted in the jewish faith. His music IS derived from quite a few influences, but it's all good. His message is in fact NOT played out, and he in fact preaches a lot of great messages. I would like ANYONE to list an artist who is doing what Matisyahu is doing. Because it is my opinion that he is not only a great performer [if you get a chance to see his live King Without a Crown video [NOT the one from Jimmy Kimmel Live] than you'll hopefully know what I mean], but he appeals to a wide audience and again, preaches his own unique message. He's got a lot of influence which makes for an interesting outlook on life, and one that I personally share.

So yeah, hate on the hasidic jew if you want, he's kinda funny looking. But that cat can spit mad lyrics and hold down the stage. Good ol' feel good reggae/hip hop!

-oreganic.

I Used To Grow

Yeah, Matisyahu is tight. DOn't know why all the hate...just because he got his break and was on MTV doesn't automatically mean he sucks.

Yeah, I do like his message. I like the song on Live at Subbs called "Lord Raise Me Up"..and "Chop Em' Down" is pretty good too.

Oreganic

Chop em down is soooo good! Aish Tamid is great as is Close my Eyes [especially the end verse.. he just goes OFF].

-oreganic.

PhillyPhunk

Oreganic said:
So yeah, hate on the hasidic jew if you want, he's kinda funny looking. But that cat can spit mad lyrics and hold down the stage. Good ol' feel good reggae/hip hop!

-oreganic.

I dont hate anyone , do I think hes a pharce and the only people who think he can "spit mad lyrics and hold down the stage" really dont know much about reggae or hip hop and are unoriginal and willing to accept anything the POP music business puts in your face. Kind of sad really.

CalcioErba2004

CalErba
Veteran
PhillyPhunk said:
I dont hate anyone , do I think hes a pharce and the only people who think he can "spit mad lyrics and hold down the stage" really dont know much about reggae or hip hop and are unoriginal and willing to accept anything the POP music business puts in your face. Kind of sad really.

I feel ya there but i heard matisyahu early last year, not on mtv or the radio late last year or early this year. We rocked Live at Stubbs way before the radio and the music business started to make him big. I also know many people who locally here who are in the hip hop scene and they like him, do they think he is the greatest thing to come along...no. Also music is music, who cares who makes it and what style. Color of skin and where a person comes from shouldnt limit them to what music they want to make and what style. just my 2 cents

G

PhillyPhunk said:

Agreed. Nayone who considers what this guy does as reggae is kidding themselves. Just because this guy raps with a fake jamaican accent doesnt make it reggae. Its like saying if Willie Nelson were to sing with a fake Jamaican accent then he is reggae? No thats fakin an accent , to front.

You want Reggae, goe listen to Buju Banton. If you want a jew to rap with a fake accent and call it reggae then perhaps reggae aint for you

Nevermind

Oreganic

PhillyPhunk said:

Ok, dude, way to start shit for no reason. And way to try and form a legible sentance, you almost have it! For 1: you are acting like I'm speaking of Matisyahu as a hip hop legend or something. I'm not. I'm recognizing that he's doing something different and it's my opinion that it sounds good. I think his live show was pretty entertaining and he was in fact spitting fast as hell, and it was cool watchin him do his thing. For 2: You seem to be stuck on the fact that this guy gained exposure through MTV. Big fucking deal, I hate MTV more than than anyone, but for you to claim that I 'accept anything the POP music business puts in my face' is completely ignorant. I can gauruntee that my knowledge and intest in hip hop is well past yours. Thats a whole nother argument I dont even feel like getting into though.

Only thing I think is sad is when people like you jump to conclusions about people you don't even know. So yeah - we don't agree that Matisyahu is a good musician, but you don't have to put down my musical integrity. I'd rather you just fuck off and keep your comments to yourself. Good day.

-oreganic.

I personally love him. I haven't heard Youth yet, but Live at Stubb's is an awesome cd. And his beatboxing skills are incredible. But that's just my opinion...

PhillyPhunk

You may know alittle about hip hop but for the last 7 years I have been working in all stages of the music "industry" Retail, wholesale, A&R and now I work for a promotions company booking live acts for music festivals and private parties. Ive booked (which means I have met and smoked dank with) such hip hop acts as Rza , Gza , Jedi Mind Tricks , Jurassic 5 , Del the funkee , the roots among others , Ive booked reggae acts suck as Capleton , Israel Vibration , Steel Pulse amongst others. I am quite capable of forming complete sentences but a thread dedicated to Matishyahoo isnt worthy of proof reading or grammatical corrections. Fuck I have seen Matishyahoo play live , the jammys about two years ago. He proceeded to play with Trey (who i think is a talentless ass clown as well) and well , I was not impressed in the slightest and was disappointed to see someone like that , who is obviously only famous because he was a white man , up on stage when so many others are deserving of what he has HANDED to him. I dont hate him , I would do the same as him , but am I going to give him , or the retards that think its good reggae any type of respect , no. Sorry. If you like Matisyahoo , I sure fucking hope you know something about hip-hop or reggae , which you say you do. If not your blind and need to listen to other music as opposed to whatever is put in your face. Thats my Only point.

I havent seen any threads dedicated to other reggae artists , just this white pharce , thats why im so combative in my posts , my apologies if you dont like my harsh tone. I guess I should have stated that I dont think badly of or hate on people because they enjoy an artist that I dont. Arguing about music is pointless because everyone has their own taste and when I discuss music and take harsh tones its because I feel like discussing the matter and hearing what you have to say , its not because I am belittling anyone and I do apologize for saying anyone who enjoys his music is a retard.

I have forgotten more about reggae than most people know and Reggae music has given me so much in my lifetime , hence the harsh tone when I see a thread praising the bumboklatt who is exploting it !

:dueling:

Last edited:
G

PhillyPhunk said:
You may know alittle about hip hop but for the last 7 years I have been working in all stages of the music "industry" Retail, wholesale, A&R and now I work for a promotions company booking live acts for music festivals and private parties. Ive booked (which means I have met and smoked dank with) such hip hop acts as Rza , Gza , Jedi Mind Tricks , Jurassic 5 , Del the funkee , the roots among others , Ive booked reggae acts suck as Capleton , Israel Vibration , Steel Pulse amongst others. I am quite capable of forming complete sentences but a thread dedicated to Matishyahoo isnt worthy of proof reading or grammatical corrections. Fuck I have seen Matishyahoo play live , the jammys about two years ago. He proceeded to play with Trey (who i think is a talentless ass clown as well) and well , I was not impressed in the slightest and was disappointed to see someone like that , who is obviously only famous because he was a white man , up on stage when so many others are deserving of what he has HANDED to him. I dont hate him , I would do the same as him , but am I going to give him , or the retards that think its good reggae any type of respect , no. Sorry. If you like Matisyahoo , I sure fucking hope you know something about hip-hop or reggae , which you say you do. If not your blind and need to listen to other music as opposed to whatever is put in your face. Thats my Only point.

I havent seen any threads dedicated to other reggae artists , just this white pharce , thats why im so combative in my posts , my apologies if you dont like my harsh tone. I guess I should have stated that I dont think badly of or hate on people because they enjoy an artist that I dont. Arguing about music is pointless because everyone has their own taste and when I discuss music and take harsh tones its because I feel like discussing the matter and hearing what you have to say , its not because I am belittling anyone and I do apologize for saying anyone who enjoys his music is a retard.

I have forgotten more about reggae than most people know and Reggae music has given me so much in my lifetime , hence the harsh tone when I see a thread praising the bumboklatt who is exploting it !

And that is my first sighting of the word " Bumboklatt" on IC. Nice.

Nevermind

ness

I just stumbled across the King Without a Crown song 2 days ago. I like it, good stoner tune.

My friend works at a record store. Before Matisyahu's video came out, he would play Live at Stubbs all the time. Every single time he played it, he had someone coming up to the counter saying, "Damn, who is that?" Even his boss, who's not a big fan of most reggae, liked it. You can argue that Israel Vibration or Steel Pulse is better, and that's fine. They're both excellent bands. But don't call him talentless unless you can do what he does, which I highly doubt.

And speaking of only being popular because he was white, part of the reason Bob Marley caught on in America so quickly was that he was half white. Of course, being incredibly talented didn't hurt, but it did help that he looked more like most Americans.

I respect your opinion, and I don't mean to hate. You said like you felt like hearing what others had to say, so I'm saying it. Let's not turn this into a flame war.

One love.

Oreganic

PhillyPhunk said:

Damn man, well thanks for clearing yourself in a respectful manner. I apologize for flaming a war and making some bad assumptions myself. Sounds like you have certainly been around and know a thing or two.. or three or four. We'll agree to disagree on matisyahu, but maybe we can agree on some Gangstarr? Perhaps even a little Aesop Rock, Blockhead, Haiku De'tat even? Out of curiousity what would a person such as yourself consider great hip hop?? That is pretty damn sweet you blazed up with Jedi Mind, Del and j5..

Ahh, and glad to hear all the positive love for matisyahu spaceman. Thats cool to hear man.

-oreganic.

PhillyPhunk

Oreganic said:
Damn man, well thanks for clearing yourself in a respectful manner. I apologize for flaming a war and making some bad assumptions myself. Sounds like you have certainly been around and know a thing or two.. or three or four. We'll agree to disagree on matisyahu, but maybe we can agree on some Gangstarr? Perhaps even a little Aesop Rock, Blockhead, Haiku De'tat even? Out of curiousity what would a person such as yourself consider great hip hop?? That is pretty damn sweet you blazed up with Jedi Mind, Del and j5..

Ahh, and glad to hear all the positive love for matisyahu spaceman. Thats cool to hear man.

-oreganic.

Well mate it was me who started with the harsh tones and there was no need for that , I should have done what my mom told me to , if you dont like something keep your mouth shut about it.

Anyways I would like to offer an act of peace and at the same time spread some music even if I am not a fan. Matisyahu has an "open taping policy" . basically , he leaves his sound boards open at show for anyone to plug in and record his music and then they are free to do whatever they wish with it but exploit it. So , naturally , archive.org has some of his shows up , 72 of them , they are free to download or stream

Archive.org's Matisyahu collection

If you would like to check their archive of other musicians who openly distribute thier music , check this link.

Archives live band archive

As for who I believe is a great hip hop name I have to be honest , I know least about hiphop than I do any other genre , im a huge blues,jazz,afrobeat,bluegrass fan as well , so I wouldnt feel comfortable speaking on the subject , but that doesnt mean I dont enjoy rhe hell out of Smif N Wessun (great local philly group from like 7-8 years ago , check them out), del , B.D.P. , been listening to alot of dj shadow lately , To be honest I didnt enjoy any of the J5 albums except their first ep , I though quality control was a little lacking and it didnt connect with me personally like EP did. I like Jedi , I didnt get to smoke with Del , only got to meet him and shoot the shit with him for a few minutes , Jedi though was a great time , I burned with a few guys from Jedi and Rza/Gza which was a big honor , the other I only got to meet and greet with a few minutes of bullshit. I feel uncomfortable around those guys because I dont know what to say and feel like a tool. Reggae stars on the other hand , seem to like me. I got to put a giant nug in Toots Hibberts front pocket , sat for long sessions with Izzy Vibes , Burned with Eek-a-mouse , gave some pot to lee perry and burned one with mad professor , apparently Lee Perry liked me because he gave me "the pound" twice while we were hanging out , a member of his band says he never pays respect like that to anyone. It was an honor touching his hand , I know that sounds gay but his hands have touched alot of the reggae greats. Ive met a bunch of other reggae stars too , yellowman , roots radics band etc.

I do like Aesop rock , blockhead though I havent heard a buddy really digs them but I havent had a chance to tune in yet. Gangstarr is great,I enjoy guru's solo Jazzmatazz album set as well.