What's new

mandatory minimums

Eli Bloom

no i didn't move here to grow (i used to grow in co), but somebody approached me recently about getting something started out here but there's no way in hell...my lease is up in october and i'll probably move to a med state.

iSMOKE.KUSH

Veteran
yeah i'm a pa transplant living out west. laws there had me shitting bricks for years, feels so good to not have that stress.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
NORML has posted inaccurate laws for multiple states... I agree they should be nudged towards accurate info.

Just for example Ohio information didn't reflect the fact that medium and rootballs are included in weight of plants. Anyone who waters five gallon buckets of soil might like to know things like that... especially when it's the difference of a nickel in the pen.

igrowone

Veteran
NORML has posted inaccurate laws for multiple states... I agree they should be nudged towards accurate info.

Just for example Ohio information didn't reflect the fact that medium and rootballs are included in weight of plants. Anyone who waters five gallon buckets of soil might like to know things like that... especially when it's the difference of a nickel in the pen.

Ohio does not like MJ growers, so some Ohioans have posted on busted threads
deals like Ohio do mean you need more than just the state laws - i think the NORML info is correct
but the actual practices in some state courts aren't what you might expect from the law wording

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Maybe you're misunderstanding me... it happens a lot actually.

I'm saying that NORML's site didn't include information that was ultimately pertinent (for some) previously... and now they do.

I'm basically supporting the fact that NORML isn't on the ball all the time.

Maybe they get high at work :D

I don't think any state likes growers (just their money and sometimes their house).

I'm really cloudy on the second line of your post so maybe I'm the one who doesn't get it?

igrowone

Veteran
Maybe you're misunderstanding me... it happens a lot actually.

I'm saying that NORML's site didn't include information that was ultimately pertinent (for some) previously... and now they do.

I'm basically supporting the fact that NORML isn't on the ball all the time.

Maybe they get high at work :D

I don't think any state likes growers (just their money and sometimes their house).

I'm really cloudy on the second line of your post so maybe I'm the one who doesn't get it?

what i was referring to is Ohio's practice of the full weigh out, roots, soil, etc.
not unique to Ohio, others do it
but from what i've read, this practice will not hold up through a full blown felony trial, it is possible to introduce 'effective weight' as opposed to the initial weight
that however, requires expert testimony, big lawyer fees
most don't go the full route, they take a plea deal
no real argument here, as you say, the NORML snapshot isn't enough to tell you what you need to know about moving to a particular state

igrowone

Veteran
this has to be one of the most complicated topics, i.e. how does a state/county deal with a MJ grower(in pratice)
someone may look at the NORML site and get a snapshot of the law
but it may mean very little in practice, a grower may find an 'intent to distribute' charge tacked on
and that happens in many places, they can put that stinking charge on at the drop of a hat
in which case the seemingly low risk state becomes another beast entirely

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
:yeahthats

That really is a very good point... everyone needs to know that!

I have a friend that got charged with intent for four plants.

:2cents:

master shake

that is if you get convicted. Most likely for first offense you could plea no contest and get a reduced punishment if you higher a good lawyer. Police breaking civil rights would be helpful as well ;)

alaskind

manditory minimums are for real...I recently spent 14 months as a guest of the state of idaho for growing.... got sentanced under manditory minimum laws...

igrowone

Veteran
that is if you get convicted. Most likely for first offense you could plea no contest and get a reduced punishment if you higher a good lawyer. Police breaking civil rights would be helpful as well ;)

usually, it's not about conviction, it's about the plea
they don't want to go to trial, they want you to plead guilty to the deal they come up with
so they lay on all the charges they can, intent to distribute, growing in a school zone, weapons at a drug production operation
nice big felony charges with nice big bail/bond - it's all a head game to break you down mentally
most of the charges are usually bogus, they know there is little chance they would get a conviction on them
but it doesn't cost them anything to add on charges, so they do