What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Male Isolation Chamber

5th

Veteran
A buddy is doing some AF strains and we were wondering how to keep some males around in the same room. (Limited grow space) I'm always finding great ideas on IC, fucking love this place.

sackoweed

I took anger management already!!!! FUCK!!!
Veteran
bumP!!! awesome thread for noobs and vets alike. Thanx JLP, as always your doing something for the people.. :D peace n pufs..

sacKO

chappie

Veteran
I have some .3 micron filter pads for use in mycology. Will these allow enough airflow to keep a plant happy?

EDIT: nope. computer fan can't push through it... going the furnace filter route.

Last edited:

Grizz

Veteran
i built one these a few years ago when i first saw this thread, I got visited by leo a short time later and the dumb ass po po couldent figure out what it was, lol.. i had to explain that it was a male plant , they still dident understand

Double F

are you guys having success flowering out males under CFLs?

i started reversing an OG clone under HPS light by spraying everyday. she reversed perfectly at first, started throwing pods..

i then removed her/him to a special male chamber that was powered by 100 watts of CFL. i also stopped spraying silver.

well its been 2-3 weeks and no pollen! the male pods are empty, and it almost looks like he is reverting to female!

its too bad because the stink is amazing and smells just like the female OG clone, that pollen would have made some nice crosses.

Grizz

Veteran
no, the filters do fine, what I am looking for is a clear plastic box big enough to put a nice male and a female in the same box, everything I have found is to small.

Brother Bear

Simple kynd of man
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Make your own Joesy, get some plexiglass cut to specs at your local hardware store and just caulk them together like a fishtank is done.

Grizz

Veteran
good advice, I was hoping to find one big enough made of plastic, so much easyer to cut the holes and such, im getting real lazy now days

harry74

Veteran
Nice one.

My sistem is even cheaper, cardboard comes for free, may be more suited for micro grows.

I always love to see people building low Budget gadgets on their own. DIY

de145

Just FYI I grow males beside my females to collect pollen all the time and I can get away with something much easier because I don't need a huge amount of pollen:

Basically you use an envelope to envelope the the tip of a very small male plant which is then sealed at the bottom to the stem and left openable at the top to catch the pollen and prevent it from spreading.

Start a male clone and xplant into a very small pot (300ml / cup sized), flip it under 12/12 when it roots but is still shortish, when it's done stretch and is starting to grow a cluster of stamens at the top, take a small pair of scissors or tweezers and cut off all stamens forming below the main terminal cluster at the top.

Remember you can see stamens for quite a while before they release pollen so don't panic, you'll get a feel for it.

If it's a stretchy sativa you will have about a one foot bean pole capable of supporting a small coin envelope at the top. If it's stumpier it will be even better, just plan adequately.

Cut away every leaf from around the terminal cluster at the tip down a few inches so that there will be no leaves inside the envelope as it's growing and to make it easy to tape at the bottom to seal.

Take a brown coin envelope, they are a tiny brown envelope, cut off the sealed bottom end. Lower it over the stamen tip so they are contained (remember they will grow longer so leave room for it to grow if possible), then tape the bottom securely so no pollen can leak down between the stem and the envelope.

Fold over the top and tape it just enough so all the stamen cluster is inside the envelope but it's ok if there is a little bit of a crack, it doesn't need to be hermetically sealed at the top. As long as you don't fling it around no pollen will spontaneously come out the top, it just falls to the bottom naturally.

That's it. Every two days from when it starts to release pollen, carefully remove it from the grow room, shake out the pollen onto a paper bindle, mix with cornstarch and a toothpick to stretch it out, fold the bindle and put it in a jar of dessicant to dry for 24 hours then into a mason jar with dessicant in the freezer for long term storage.

I keep a spray bottle of clean water and when I seal back up the pollen envelope I spray the outside of the envelope and all the plant, the pot and my hands and arms. Put it back in the grow room and it will be fine.

This way you can do breeding with one grow area male and female together and multiple little bindles of pollen in the freezer, properly dried and preserved so you can break one out whenever you want without ruining the rest of the pollen and without accidental pollination.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts