What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Baba Karuna

Amazing looking cobs @Baba Karuna! I always appreciate seeing the cobs you create, the visual quality of them is quite stunning, and I suspect the effects are the same... thanks for sharing.
Thank you so much my friend. I feel very blessed to have access to a community like this where the value of fermented herb is truly understood and valued. Many thanks and praises to all of the contributors and many blessings to @Tangwena for starting this thread and educating us all 🙏🏼

🪷Om Punyāham Om Punyāham Om Punyāham🪷

Baba Karuna

Corn husks Green or Dried?
Dried like for making tamales is easy enough.
If green is preferred, I can still maybe access some ears from a neighboring field?
I also have some ears frozen in the freezer.
I have used both and prefer them to be dry like when used for tamales 🫔

When I used fresh ones, some of the cobs smelled more earthy and less like the herbs terpenes. It only happened with a small number of cobs so it could have just been my situation. 🙏🏼

🪷Om Śivamastu🪷

funkyhorse

While I doubt life will give the chance to grow again anytime soon, the biggest asset I got from this growing time is this cure. This cure I will be able to practice anywhere I go
I see a lot of bag waste. You are using a big bag for not so much weed. For 30 grams you can use a smaller bag or just cut a piece of it
I cut the bag smaller and it allows me to make small bags for canaries like the Phu Phan Purple bag I am testing now.
Sadly I wont be able to test all of the weed I made, my neighbours will enjoy it. They love this cure too, better than traditional brick cure
Thai brick (4).jpeg

This is done with dry bud, as dry I could get in the wetlands. Dried with firewood during winter, the driest I get in winter is around 45%RH and bud is very dry
It doesnt matter how dry it is, when you compact the buds in the bag, the buds become brick
It doesnt matter shape. It makes brick and I think it makes some fermentation too even it is very dry, the terpenes change from the bud in jar cure. I like it a looooot better than fermented in the yoghourt maker, it beats banana bark cure or corn husk cure big time
Perfect every time when is vacuum sealed. It crystallizes no matter if small canary bud or big brick.
In big brick you get more crystals, I never saw crystals in real life
I would love to try one day a 2 year old brick cured like this

I posted this before and I post it again, many things dont make sense at all in the canna world.
One of them is the myth about jar cure. In real life I never saw anybody in the third world curing in jars
I am comparing same harvest side by side jar and vacuum bag and vacuum bag is the way. When smoking it burns smooth and curing like this vaping is excellent too.
Fermenting in the yoghurt maker is not for vaping, I dont like the taste of it at all

This knowledge you can take with you everywhere you travel, the vacuum bag cure is better than any traditional cure I have tried. It is very impressive how good this is for sativa bud. Even indicas get more interesting cured this way but I think indicas should be made hash as they always were in the traditional world and tested as hash, not as hashplant bud

dilettante

While I doubt life will give the chance to grow again anytime soon, the biggest asset I got from this growing time is this cure. This cure I will be able to practice anywhere I go
I see a lot of bag waste. You are using a big bag for not so much weed. For 30 grams you can use a smaller bag or just cut a piece of it
I cut the bag smaller and it allows me to make small bags for canaries like the Phu Phan Purple bag I am testing now.
Sadly I wont be able to test all of the weed I made, my neighbours will enjoy it. They love this cure too, better than traditional brick cure
View attachment 19080999

This is done with dry bud, as dry I could get in the wetlands. Dried with firewood during winter, the driest I get in winter is around 45%RH and bud is very dry
It doesnt matter how dry it is, when you compact the buds in the bag, the buds become brick
It doesnt matter shape. It makes brick and I think it makes some fermentation too even it is very dry, the terpenes change from the bud in jar cure. I like it a looooot better than fermented in the yoghourt maker, it beats banana bark cure or corn husk cure big time
Perfect every time when is vacuum sealed. It crystallizes no matter if small canary bud or big brick.
In big brick you get more crystals, I never saw crystals in real life
I would love to try one day a 2 year old brick cured like this

I posted this before and I post it again, many things dont make sense at all in the canna world.
One of them is the myth about jar cure. In real life I never saw anybody in the third world curing in jars
I am comparing same harvest side by side jar and vacuum bag and vacuum bag is the way. When smoking it burns smooth and curing like this vaping is excellent too.
Fermenting in the yoghurt maker is not for vaping, I dont like the taste of it at all

This knowledge you can take with you everywhere you travel, the vacuum bag cure is better than any traditional cure I have tried. It is very impressive how good this is for sativa bud. Even indicas get more interesting cured this way but I think indicas should be made hash as they always were in the traditional world and tested as hash, not as hashplant bud
Hi @funkyhorse, this cure you are talking about is it properly dried material just vacuum sealed or what?

funkyhorse

is it properly dried material just vacuum sealed
Hi dilettante
Yes, just like that. Dried material as proper as I could and vacuum sealed in the vacuum bags
It ferments slowly naturally and terpenes are still very nice but different than jar cured, dry bud in vacuum bag makes brick with the properties of brick weed
Much easier than fermenting in the yogurt machine. For me better results but I dont chew

People report here in this thread that fermenting is better for chewing
I can report than bricking dry bud is better for vaping.
For smoking I dont think there is much difference if it is fermented or dry bud brick
I like this cure better than corn husk and banana bark

I hope it helps

CDNINCA

Part 2 First Cob
View attachment 19080889
View attachment 19080890
View attachment 19080891
I rolled it forward and then squeezed with my fingers. Rolled it back, tightened the roller, and then rolled it forward while squeezing.

I squished in the ends so that it would fit in the vacuum bag, maintaining that compression with my little fingers. View attachment 19080892 Here, I veered from the corn husk/parchment paper/ziploc wrappers.
These are authentic Crinklee cellophane 5"×5" sticky candy wrappers. They are not plastic.

They are recommended for wrapping and long-term storing of templeball hash. That's what I use them for.

This provides a somewhat see-through solvent/terpene barrier between the cob and the vacuum bag.
I'll be able to take it out, look at it, and change vacuum bags if necessary without losing as much sticky goodness.

I overlapped 2 of the cellophane wrappers and placed my cob preform in the middle.
At this point, I have squeezed down my flower bunch to about the size of a quarter or bit bigger View attachment 19080893 View attachment 19080894 I folded in the ends and wrapped the cob in cellophane, and placed it at the bottom of the bag.
Inserting the bag in the foodsaver, I manipulated it, turning the machines vacuum on but stopping short of sealing it 3 times, squeezing and encouraging an even compression on the cob.
View attachment 19080895 I ended with an evenly compressed 30 gram cob a little bigger than a nickel. It looks pretty good. I'm chuffed. View attachment 19080896

As you can see I took some advice here and some more advice over there. Added a little of my own. I'm really happy for my first one.

I want to thank Tangwena, Hombre, CDninca, Baba and all that have contributed to this great thread.

So, let me know what you think.
I have to decide if I'm going to cook it in my instant pot.
Nicely done @moose/MI, looks like you are well underway! One thing that I do, which probably doesn't really matter that much but I think it's helpful, is that I put some parchment paper/ corn husks/ whatever on the sushi mat first, then put the buds on it, then roll it up like you did. I don't want the beautiful sticky trichomes sticking to the sushi mat and getting left behind. I guess your way would make a pretty nice smelling sushi mat though which might not be a bad thing? ;)
Cheers!

dilettante

Thanks for the explanation.

I gave some of my last year's cobs to other people and nobody chewes it or likes the taste after trying to chew.

I think I will do a broader range of moisture levels with this years harvest.

Was also thinking of cobbing old main buds from last year that I kept in jars and let become hay by not burping the jars enough.