What's new

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

velorex

I'm trying this for sure!!!!! :dance013:
Any further instructions or do I just throw some ground cob in there and savour??
no experience with cobs, never had a chance to taste it. but grinding it up finely and then adding it to honey should work. probably no need for decarbing as time will have taken care of that.
it's what i do with rockettop shrooms. i just dry them and crush, then mix it with some honey. seems to speed up the onset of the trip.

Last edited:

flower~power

~Star~Crash~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Naughty but nice. 😉
IMG_3166.gif

Cheech87

🤗😶‍🌫️Hello😶‍🌫️🤗,
What is the difference in the high between cobbing and normal buds of the same strain?
I want to try it with my Panama A5 Haze. As I understand it, you can get also high from chewing it without decarboxylation .

Last edited:

velorex

Cobs would be pre-decarbed from the time it takes to mature. The chewing thing makes sense. Is there a noticable difference in smoking strength though? Is it very different from other edibles? If there's more than just decarboxylation going on over time, what is it?

Buzzzzd

What is the difference
I have very limited experience and probably lower quality weed....but....chewing, while taking longer to kick in, lasts much longer than the immediate affect of smoking and I think gives a better high.
There are many more people here with much better advice but I think it is the fermentation process that is started by the "sweat" that decarbs and brings out more of the qualities in your weed.

Cheech87

Thanks
Yes, I just wanted to know if it really gets you high without decarboxylation.🤗 What's the difference when smoking cobbing versus regular buds? How does the high change? I once bought cheap Thai weed that was brown and pressed. It was awful but only cost 4 euros😅. It couldn't have been what so many rave about here. That's why I wanted to try it myself.😶‍🌫️🤓

Onboard

Cobs would be pre-decarbed from the time it takes to mature. The chewing thing makes sense. Is there a noticable difference in smoking strength though? Is it very different from other edibles? If there's more than just decarboxylation going on over time, what is it?

Nobody knows what makes the magic. Nor the oral/sublingual availability, nor the longer duration, nor the shift in effects (more sublime).

But it is likely not related to decarboxylation.

There is a "cob vs Jar cured" pair of analyses somewhere in the thread. But they were sort of counter intuitive, at least with regard to decarboxylation. So the results were neither rigorously interpreted nor discussed in the thread., or to my knowledge at least. Maybe look them up and share your thoughts?

But to me, it looked like the cobbing had somehow protected the total THC
from degradation. Because there was a lot more of it it in the cob sample, and it had also undergone a lesser degree of decarboxylation, compared to the jar cured. Who knows how to interpret that?

Otherwise, oral cob is, at least to me, very different from normal edibles (eg infused coconut oil-based). The cob hits in minutes and doesn't have to be swallowed, whereas the normal edible takes 30-60 to kick in.

I don't smoke mine much, so I can't compare well. Burning them feels wasteful. Although I still smoke lots of jar cured.

Cheech87

I just read this.
During the fermentation process of cobbing, several biochemical and microbial processes occur that transform the cannabis, potentially making it stronger and altering its flavor profile. Here’s what happens during fermentation when cobbing cannabis:

1. **Anaerobic Environment**: Cobbing is done in a vacuum-sealed bag, creating an anaerobic (oxygen-free) environment. This lack of oxygen is crucial for fermentation to occur properly.

2. **Microbial Activity**: Naturally occurring microbes (such as bacteria and fungi) on the cannabis start to break down the plant material. These microbes can thrive in the anaerobic environment and facilitate the fermentation process.

3. **Chemical Changes**:
- **Cannabinoid Conversion**: During fermentation, some THC-A (tetrahydrocannabinolic acid) can be converted into THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) through enzymatic reactions, enhancing the psychoactive effects.
- **Terpene Transformation**: Terpenes, which are responsible for the aroma and some of the effects of cannabis, can transform or become more pronounced. This can result in more complex and rich flavors and potentially synergistic effects with cannabinoids.

4. **Breakdown of Plant Material**: Enzymes produced by the microbes break down complex carbohydrates, proteins, and other plant materials. This can lead to a smoother smoke, as some of the harsher elements of the plant are reduced.

5. **Moisture and Humidity Control**: The vacuum-sealed environment helps retain moisture, preventing the cannabis from drying out too much. Proper moisture levels are crucial for the fermentation process and for preserving the cannabinoids and terpenes.

6. **pH Changes**: The pH level of the plant material can change during fermentation, which can further influence the breakdown of compounds and the overall chemical profile of the cannabis.

7. **Production of New Compounds**: Fermentation can lead to the creation of new compounds or the enhancement of existing ones. This can result in unique flavors, aromas, and effects that are different from traditionally cured cannabis.

In summary, the fermentation process during cobbing involves a combination of microbial activity, chemical transformations, and controlled moisture levels. These factors work together to potentially increase the potency, enhance the flavor, and improve the overall quality of the cannabis compared to traditional curing methods.

I know most people already know it🙄🫣😬,
but now I understand roughly what it's about and why it's different. I will definitely start it in 4 to 5 weeks after harvesting my Neville's Haze and Panama A5 Haze.
I will use an aquarium heater that heats up to 40 degrees Celsius, which is sufficient, a vacuum sealer, vacuum bags, and a bucket. I will try to find corn husks or order them online. It should work, like a kind of sous vide cooking. With low temperatures, the temperature will remain constant and will be evenly distributed in the water.

Last edited:

Tmik

Smoking cob material, anecdotally, cob seems to be “smoother, cleaner” smoke than the same flower, same age. The flavor of the cob is earthier. Also, it seems to be a bit “heavier” and slightly stonier in effect than the same aged flower. It does not turn anything into super weed or double the potency. All subjective of course. I do prefer the cob and have started to cob up a 1/3 to 1/2 of my harvests now. Long term storage is a big plus. You could probably store 2lbs+ of cob in a shoebox.

Tangwena

Veteran
Thanks
Yes, I just wanted to know if it really gets you high without decarboxylation.🤗 What's the difference when smoking cobbing versus regular buds? How does the high change? I once bought cheap Thai weed that was brown and pressed. It was awful but only cost 4 euros😅. It couldn't have been what so many rave about here. That's why I wanted to try it myself.😶‍🌫️🤓
There is only one way to find out my friend.
This cure has been around for centuries in the countries where it is used.

So called jar curing is really just drying and aging which is not the same thing and has only really ever been used in the Western sphere of influence in an attempt to keep the look and aroma of the buds as close to that of harvest as possible.

We dont sell anything here its just for those who enjoy getting high from grass whether smoked or chewed.
I personally cant answer why and what happens but its different and enjoyable and once you get it right very hard to stop and go back.

Cheech87

That's true. I am already planning it in my head I will prepare everything. I have a good 4 to 5 weeks to get ready. I will take one cola from every plant and give it a try. I like to experiment, so it's sure to be interesting and enjoyable. And maybe I'll be hooked after.

I also like the part about the medicine men in Africa smoking it before a ceremonial. When I was young, I liked the Voodoo found it very intressting and a bit maccabre Now I can do my own voodoo weed.🤦‍♂️😅

sneezydog

Yessah Cheech! welcome and enjoy. The proof is in your experiments:) we will enjoy watching and helping if we can but seems you already have a solid grasp. Id say, try cob some when the early doobie doesnt burn quite right, and some a little after. That way you can see 2 possible cures with the same aging and care. If they go black or very dark early, its a good thing to open them and check for moisture and dry a (little) bit if need be.
Ya its a beautiful thing. Feels like uncovering an old thing that works better than the new. Like a stanley push yankee screwdriver,
or a gasoline pump blowtorch/stove.
The terps liquidify the thc. Its wild. It recrystalizes slowly over time.

Cheech87

You will definitely hear from me! 🤗 I still need to be patient and let them finish growing, but I'll definitely show them to you here. I look forward to any help and advice. It's just too tempting not to test it.😶‍🌫️

mike-or-ozzy

You will definitely hear from me! 🤗 I still need to be patient and let them finish growing, but I'll definitely show them to you here. I look forward to any help and advice. It's just too tempting not to test it.😶‍🌫️
You will like it, I took 0.09 gram of PCK x Kali China at noon and fell out of my power wheelchair at 3:15 pulling weeds out of the composted manure pile in 85* F heat, lol. Lucky for me my neighbor happened to come up the road and herd me shout and gave me a lift. o_O