What's new
  • As of today ICMag has his own Discord server. In this Discord server you can chat, talk with eachother, listen to music, share stories and pictures...and much more. Join now and let's grow together! Join ICMag Discord here! More details in this thread here: here.
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Making tropicanna cookies f3s and tc x lemon tree

Somatek

In regards to open pollination, well, the principle of o.p. is to generate as many parental combinations as possible. And under those initial circumstances, that is the desired principle yes I agree. But I don't ever agree with the practice itself as you have no idea which male was the father of any one seed. So personally I'd collect the pollen, and dust the girls individually with one male at a time. Over a couple of rounds with the female clones, in order to give batches of seeds. That way you can track lines. But yes, that is the best starting principle to use prior to identifying the better parentage.
Nah, never played with anything other than weed. Never intended to play with weed in terms of breeding, it just became a necessity then an obsession, and now a cost saving hobby.

Usually the point of O.P. is to preseve the gene pool to maintain a homozygous variety. In pot growers it's used to create as many different variations/expressions as everything is varying degress of heterozyosity.

It'd be great if all growers were making post harvest selections after growing out the seeds to choose which lines to pursue but that's rarely the case. How many generations of parent stock do you keep and generally how many moms/dads are you working with? That's usually the block people run into, how quickly the numbers expand as crossing 3 moms and dads out of a 10 pack means 9 seed lines to grow out, assuming a minimum of 10 seeds each that's 90 plants to select from, leading to a lot more moms/dads to take it one more generation. If you aren't keeping parental stock for multiple generations until you've grown out enough seedlings to see which to pursue, what's the value in knowing them and the expense of limiting the gene pool?

Again, it's a question of experience, understanding and use of time. When I see someone making selections before growing the seeds, with a seemingly limited knowledge base it seems like their time would be better spent developing the skills/knowledge/experience growing instead of jumping in head first. It'd be like a novice diver going to the high jump board for their first time, chances are it's just wasting everyone's time trying to show off.

I think it's fairly common for most pot growers to be limited in the experience to growing pot, which is why their understanding of genetic stability seems skewed. If any veggie company released such unstable, variable seeds they'd generally be laughed out of business (unless you're Joseph Lofthouse that is).

Somatek

Why does GMT get it and not somatek....

You mean he agrees with you, it's pretty clear you don't understand the discussion and you've said outright you're happy to just chuck pollen. That confirmation bias is exactly why everything you're saying is questionable, not to mention the contraditions like saying originally you bought the pollen off stainly, but now it's from a friend who bought seeds.

I also ordered some orangy male pollen from stainly a while back(the pollen actually smells citrusy!)not sure if it's still viable.ive had it in the freezer for 2 months...if not I'll use a male from the f2s...

And I know the pollen is tropicanna as well cause my best friend grew thmale from a sealed pack

Finally it should be pointed out that you asked if this was worth pursuing, why ask for others opinions if you only want yes men to agree with you? On open forums you don't get to choose who gets to express their opinion, we're all free to contribute as we choose and my opinion is that it's not worth breeding plants before you've grown the seeds and have experience with the actual plants, not just your idea of those plants. That seems like your more interested in attention then doing the work for love of the plant.

You guys think these seeds are worth making?

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Perhaps after you've spent 16 years here showing the results of your work across multiple threads, and spent 2 decades of your life working a single strain, rather than chipping in without a single picture in your albums, you may be a little more cautious in calling people on what they may or may not know. The results of doing the work can be surprising more frequently than you may imagine.

Somatek

Perhaps after you've spent 16 years here showing the results of your work across multiple threads, and spent 2 decades of your life working a single strain, rather than chipping in without a single picture in your albums, you may be a little more cautious in calling people on what they may or may not know. The results of doing the work can be surprising more frequently than you may imagine.

Lol what are you talking about? Who's spent two decades working a single variety? I've been pollen chucking and sharing seeds since CW days but also fully acknowledge my limitations and don't play it off as anything special or have delusions of grandeur.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Sorry yahooman, I tried to get involved in the thread to support it, but it seems my posts have helped to lead to it being derailed. If I step out, maybe you'll get your thread back. Don't give up on it.

Somatek, "who has?" , I have.

Thesearch

Forget the nonsense, you do you! I'm actually hyped to hear how this turned out! We all know what really matters is the proof in the pudding and that's what we're all after. Been thinking of doing a massive citrus breeding project to see what other citruses I can come up with. So far we have orange, tangerine, lemon, lime and grapefruit. I'm really hoping I can create a calamansi. Lemon x tangie x grapefruit maybe? If I can get my hands on some real grapefruit that will add some complexity. Grapefruit x tangie may yield a blood orange ;)
Anyhow I am stoked to hear how your citrus x citrus turns out!

yahooman

Veteran
It turns out that the tropicanna cookies pollen was not viable so I have to wait to see if one of the 8 seed plants of tc I have is a nice orangy male

I just harvested the lemon tree and gelato....I know they are legit now

yahooman

Veteran
I forgot all about this thread.i quit growing for a few yrars,but im back,grew out the csi lemon tree and it was bang on!very impressive!
I have a few strains going,chemd,flight risk,chem91 x chemd and don carlos.im waiting on a killer blueberry cut,'89 white rhino cut,nl#5 cut and daywrecker diesel...

Attachments

• 20241024_173704.jpg
    20241024_173704.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2
  • 20241025_115551.jpg
    20241025_115551.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
  • 20241024_173720.jpg
    20241024_173720.jpg
    783.3 KB · Views: 2