What's new

Making Canna Salve

goingrey

You making soap?
Nope just the salve/lotion. Won't be adding lye...

Shea butter it's just an oil like olive oil or coconut oil or whatever, but really good for the skin (so they say).

I'll wait until I believe it's infused boiling at a low heat then strain through some cheesecloth.

Been spinning the weed around, reminds me of the Chinese teamakers doing the sha qinq or "kill green" step with the big wok pans. And it indeed has turned a much darker shade of green.

goingrey

So the amount of shea butter was way too little even after the water had evaporated from the weed. Added some beeswax and some Tunisian olive oil.

s.jpg

goingrey

Word to the wise, don't try to pour it out from a double boiler by holding both parts with water still in the bottom compartment... Kinda got diluted down. :D Oh well, back on the boiler.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran

May find some tips in here. Talk to maryjaneismyfriend. He has made some topicals.

goingrey

c.jpg

So here's the final result. Compared to the shea butter and coconut oil stuff I made with @@peace's method this one is darker and much softer at fridge temp.

Olive oil should be more permeable than coconut oil on the skin according to some study but I wonder if it was funded by the coconut oil industry as to me it seems to leave film on your skin. Pretty gross actually, if you put it on your face makes you look like you're sweating off a multi-day bender. And no, I'm not :D.

Smells pretty good even though I didn't add the peppermint oil or any other fragrance this time.

And lol seems like I've dropped in a piece of bud the very first or second time I've opened it. :D

Last edited:

Janborrego

View attachment 19014733

So here's the final result. Compared to the shea butter and coconut oil stuff I made with @@peace's method this one is darker and much softer at fridge temp.

Olive oil should be more permeable than coconut oil on the skin according to some study but I wonder if it was funded by the coconut oil industry as to me it seems to leave film on your skin. Pretty gross actually, if you put it on your face makes you look like you're sweating off a multi-day bender. And no, I'm not :D.

Smells pretty good even though I didn't add the peppermint oil or any other fragrance this time.

And lol seems like I've dropped in a piece of bud the very first or second time I've opened it. :D
Looks better than my first try

Janborrego

Looks better than my first try
image.jpg

Bees wax in the silver tin and soy wax in the blue Jar. I have vegan family members So I make both. The bees wax is smoother and rubs in great. I think the shea butter is what you are feeling. Mine are kept at room temp. I will put me exact recipe for both. I stopped using EVOO as black caster oil id great for pain inflammation and even skin. Coconut oil also is antimicrobial like garlic. So my oil of choice is Coconut oil. I use the same oil for my salve as my baking as well.

Janborrego

Jans salve recipe:

11/2 c infused coconut oil (I used bud to make this)
2 ounces of caster oil. I often use Black
1 ounce of vit e oil
1 cup of Bees wax
Lemon extract 30 ml. Or 2 or 3 tablespoons. If it comes in the little 30 ml bottle I use it all. In a bigger bottle I use tablespoons. When it smell lemon fresh I stop.

I melt the wax in a double boiler when it is completely melted I turn off the burner. Then add the other oils stir well last add the fragrance.

Pour into light proof containers. It will solidify quick. Have your containers ready to pour.

This stuff works great on so much stuff. Pain inflammation, skin cancer cells, psoriases, dry itching skin, dermatitis, eczema, and I have even used it on fungal infection like yeast. It eill even clear up toe fungus. Takes a few months but does help.

The soy wax version is the same except triple the amount of Soy wax. Everything else is the same. You may need to add more fragrance. It is solid but a little greasy for my liking. It really helps though.

Last edited:

Janborrego

Jans salve recipe:

11/2 c infused coconut oil (I used bud to make this)
2 ounces of caster oil. I often use Black
1 ounce of vit e oil
1 cup of Bees wax
Lemon extract 30 ml. Or 2 or 3 tablespoons. If it comes in the little 30 ml bottle I use it all. In a bigger bottle I use tablespoons. When it smell lemon fresh I stop.

I melt the wax in a double boiler when it is completely melted I turn off the burner. Then add the other oils stir well last add the fragrance.

Pour into light proof containers. It will solidify quick. Have your containers ready to pour.

This stuff works great on so much stuff. Pain inflammation, skin cancer cells, psoriases, dry itching skin, dermatitis, eczema, and I have even used it on fungal infection like yeast. It eill even clear up toe fungus. Takes a few months but does help.

The soy wax version is the same except triple the amount of Soy wax. Everything else is the same. You may need to add more fragrance. It is solid but a little greasy for my liking. It really helps though.
I noticed lemon essential is the most pleasant scent. With the vegan it was half lemon and half bergamot. It smells great. It took like 10 or more batches to figure this out. This is the best version I have found do far. It is the best smelling least greasy so far. If you got my early stuff it was greasy. The newest stuff is not. It smells a ton better. The first several batches I was testing different scents. The citrus hides the weed the most.

goingrey

View attachment 19014742
Bees wax in the silver tin and soy wax in the blue Jar. I have vegan family members So I make both. The bees wax is smoother and rubs in great. I think the shea butter is what you are feeling. Mine are kept at room temp. I will put me exact recipe for both. I stopped using EVOO as black caster oil id great for pain inflammation and even skin. Coconut oil also is antimicrobial like garlic. So my oil of choice is Coconut oil. I use the same oil for my salve as my baking as well.
I used shea butter the last time too, but with coconut oil instead of olive oil... If caster oil doesn't separate from the coconut oil in room temp then that is a benefit to your recipe but then again maybe the fridge also extends shelf life.

Last time I used peppermint oil to scent it this time nothing. Actually I think it smells pretty good.

Janborrego

I used shea butter the last time too, but with coconut oil instead of olive oil... If caster oil doesn't separate from the coconut oil in room temp then that is a benefit to your recipe but then again maybe the fridge also extends shelf life.

Last time I used peppermint oil to scent it this time nothing. Actually I think it smells pretty good.
The fridge will extend the life. I pass out 15 or 20 of those tins a week. I make double batches as well. Peppermint would smell nice. I have tried eucalyptus and lavender. I thought lavender would help with sleep. I did nothing at all. I thought I just had a bum batch so I tried with a better quality essential oil same result.. lavender just cant with weed. Especially if you gave a really skunky weed.

blondie

Glad To see this thread. I have two plants with only lower buds left. I just chopped a few days ago. Perfect for this recipe. I hope,it works for me. Thanks for posting.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How do you make the infused coconut oil? How much flower per 1.5 cup oil? How do you heat it and for how long? I assume its in a double boiler for 2-4 hours.

Looks great goingrey! Thats what my CBD hemp oil salve looks. Yeah the smell could be an issue in today's society. I would love to smell like cannabis, personally. I like the smell, although it can get pretty overpowering.

Have a surplus of kief, so may be making some salve in the next few weeks.

My psoriasis seems to be doing really well. Reishi mushroom as a tincture as allowed me to take it more regularly which helps the immune system regulate better. When the daylight gets longer, the extra sun exposure helps reduce psoriasis, so will have to see over long term. I am about out of CBD salve so may give this a run and switch to THC.

From what I have seen, CBD has specific receptors in the skin which is more numerous than the other cannabinoids. So if you are having issues, check into using topical CBD hemp as well as THC. Could just apply on then the other or alternate they types of salves.

Best to apply these after a bath/shower so the skin can absorb it better. Have to work it into the skin.

Thanks for sharing guys! Have a good one! :smoke:

Janborrego

Ok this is what I do to make infused coconut oil. I get the big coconut oil from Costco. It is 84 ounces. I decarb 4 ounces of weed at a time in my insta pot. My insta pot holds 4 quart jars. That is why I do 4 at a time. I keep my decarbed weed in amber Jars. They store well.
Then I add the 2 ounces of weed to the 84 ounces of coconut oil in my crock pot use low overnight. In the morning it is ready. I let it cool a few hours then squeeze all the oil out of the weed. This gives me 3 quart sized amber Jars of oil for edibles and salve. I make salve 1-2 times a week and every Saturday I re-up edibles for the entire family. I use a lot of oil. In the beginning of the thread I put the entire article. I think it was like 5 grams for the 11/2 cups of oil.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Oh ok great thanks. Yeah so you do 2 oz to 84 ounces coconut oil and it works out to about 5 g/ 1.5 cups.

Cool I guess I could use 1 oz (30 g) kief , half the rate, to 84 ounces coconut oil which would work out to 10 grams kief per 26 oz coconut oil . May be a good place to start. 26 ounces is quite a bit of oil. May go down to 1 gram kief to 2.5-3.0 oz coconut oil for a trial run.

I may infuse for shorter period of time to prevent degradation of THC into other cannabionoids. Usually run the infusion for 40 minutes total which is broken up into 2 cooking sessions of 20 minutes baked at 220F. After the 1st 20 minute infusion, the mix is frozen and then allowed to thaw before cooking again for 20 minutes.

Infusion for longer periods may get more extracted into the oil, but may be at the expense of THC degradation, which is fine if there is still plenty of THC there and/or the benefits of the other cannabinoids are still working.

blondie

I second insta pot. When I make gummies, I use this. Not only decarb, but oil infuse as well. I generally stay around 5 grams per cup of oil. In the insta pot, Heat five ground grams in a small mason jar for 60 minutes, add oil, heat another 60. Strain through cheesecloth. I don’t use crock pot but don’t make much at a time.

Anyone have a good online source for reishi mushrooms?

Janborrego

Oh ok great thanks. Yeah so you do 2 oz to 84 ounces coconut oil and it works out to about 5 g/ 1.5 cups.

Cool I guess I could use 1 oz (30 g) kief , half the rate, to 84 ounces coconut oil which would work out to 10 grams kief per 26 oz coconut oil . May be a good place to start. 26 ounces is quite a bit of oil. May go down to 1 gram kief to 2.5-3.0 oz coconut oil for a trial run.

I may infuse for shorter period of time to prevent degradation of THC into other cannabionoids. Usually run the infusion for 40 minutes total which is broken up into 2 cooking sessions of 20 minutes baked at 220F. After the 1st 20 minute infusion, the mix is frozen and then allowed to thaw before cooking again for 20 minutes.

Infusion for longer periods may get more extracted into the oil, but may be at the expense of THC degradation, which is fine if there is still plenty of THC there and/or the benefits of the other cannabinoids are still working.
Yes I have never used kief it may be more potent or less. I used shake and trim once and the salve was not as good as it was with bud. Now I only use bud. I never grind. I use the smaller buds or snip them to smaller pieces. The insta pot only decarbs for 45 minutes. The crock pot is a wax melting pot it does not get hotter than 180. I used to make candles pre covid. The wax tripled in price so I stopped.