What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Looking for Landrace Hawaiian Sativa

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Hello ICMAG,

Devaku here I've started to grow I'm now looking for regular seeds for a hawaiian sativa if yall can point me in the right direction or be will down to trade!

Thank you,

Devaku
Check out our seed Vendors on the Vendors page they can give you the best suggestions.

cola

I'm not here to burst anyone's bubble, but there really is no such thing as: "Landrace Hawaiian Sativa".

Most of the herb that got there originally came from three sources:
1. Military guys bringing SE Asian strains back from Viet war via Oahu, who then settled on the outer islands.
2. Folks that were fed up with Cali excited to try a new growing scene, who brought local CA seeds with them.
3. People that either had friends who or themselves had Mexican connections, and growing those seeds there.

Now: Enter Operation Green Harvest early 80's, and more local population (rips) going backcountry to find it.
People that had been successful growing and harvesting pre-helicopter were now scrambling to pull it down.

As a result, seed production became helter - skelter at best. Many lost entire crops, and all their seeds with it.
Afterwards became an era where people began swapping seeds and taking what they could get, from friends.
Few were successful doing what they did as before and this seriously broke down any chain of ownership surety.

Enter today: There was no indigenous Hawaiian herb there ever. No one tried to grow it at all there until the 50's.
One needs to remember that Hawaii did not become a state until 1960. Very few were even going there before.

So .. No such thing as landrace or even indigenous Hawaiian. And, anyone selling Hawaiian Sativa, is guessing.

Last edited:

LostTribe

Premium user

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I highly doubt there's a Hawaiian Landrace today. I don't think there was/is a way to keep the same variety isolated from other populations for the last 100 years. Were people growing weed on the islands back, yes. They grow the same seeds/Clones we all do today. A landrace is a domesticated, locally adapted, often traditional plant species that has developed over time due to adaptation to its natural and cultural environment. Unlike modern cultivars, landraces are shaped by both human selection and environmental factors.

Cannabis is believed to have arrived in Hawaii with the first wave of Polynesians who settled on the islands around 500 CE.

Last edited:

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
Hello ICMAG,

Devaku here I've started to grow I'm now looking for regular seeds for a hawaiian sativa if yall can point me in the right direction or be will down to trade!

Thank you,

Devaku

I have some hawaiian crosses:

Kona Gold x original thai haze

20230715_105749-jpg.18865829

Hawaiian Pakithai x original thai haze

full

or Hawaiian Webbed Indica/Molokai Frost x original thai haze

full

I love good hawaiian haze!

Lolo94

I'm not here to burst anyone's bubble, but there really is no such thing as: "Landrace Hawaiian Sativa".

Most of the herb that got there originally came from three sources:
1. Military guys bringing SE Asian strains back from Viet war via Oahu, who then settled on the outer islands.
2. Folks that were fed up with Cali excited to try a new growing scene, who brought local CA seeds with them.
3. People that either had friends who or themselves had Mexican connections, and growing those seeds there.

Now: Enter Operation Green Harvest early 80's, and more local population (rips) going backcountry to find it.
People that had been successful growing and harvesting pre-helicopter were now scrambling to pull it down.

As a result, seed production became helter - skelter at best. Many lost entire crops, and all their seeds with it.
Afterwards became an era where people began swapping seeds and taking what they could get, from friends.
Few were successful doing what they did as before and this seriously broke down any chain of ownership surety.

Enter today: There was no indigenous Hawaiian herb there ever. No one tried to grow it at all there until the 50's.
One needs to remember that Hawaii did not become a state until 1960. Very few were even going there before.

So .. No such thing as landrace or even indigenous Hawaiian. And, anyone selling Hawaiian Sativa, is guessing.
As you stated, there are no Hawaiian landraces but there were many heirlooms. By heirlooms, I mean plants that were brought to Hawaii and adapted to the island enivronment and reproduced over successive generations. The earlier heirlooms that everyone seems to long for were sativa and mostly sativa. Post Green Harvest, the faster strains were imported ( mainland strains and dutch strains) and adapted to create 60-90 wonders (plants that would finish seed to harvest in 60-90 days. I would also consider these heirlooms if grown over many generations in Hawaii. I was in high school on the East side of the Big island in the mid to late 1980's and most of what was around were the 90 day wonders. The sativa strains were still around, but harder to find. Since Green Harvest has stopped, I think there is a great opportunity to create new Hawaiian heirlooms. Just like before, import the seeds with desireable traits, plant many starts (alot will get wiped out by the environment) and successively breed those that the environment and the selector like the best.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think there's some confusion about what Landrace is..

Landrace
noun

An animal breed or plant cultivar that, isolated from other populations of its species, has adapted to its local environment, especially by purposeful means of breeding and agriculture: landraces of rice from Sri Lanka;a Turkish dog that is a beautiful landrace.

(usually initial capital letter) any of several widely distributed strains of large, white, lop-eared swine of Danish origin.

Reactions: GMT

thandee

I suggest 3 regular lines of Hawaiian sativas...1 from goodgearseeds Molokai Frost, a second line from tlt seeds Maui Waui and one from hyp3rids Kona Gold....

cola

I suggest you call any "line" of Hawaiian Sativa" GUESS-Tronic, because that is what it truly factually is.
Any true sativa came from outside the islands, and anything that wasn't a blend was post Green Harvest.
That means it came there fairly recently, in the last few years. Hardly can call any recent seed Hawaiian.

Kona Gold back in the day was green bud just like anywhere else there, just grown on the Kona Coast.
Likewise "Puna Butter (butta)", simply grown on the East Side of the Big Island in the Puna District.
All up to conjecture. Name is so you can sell it. As I said earlier, anyone selling Hawaiian Sativa is guessing.

Lolo94

I've read several times in Hawaiian threads that Polynesians brought over cannabis seeds when they first came to Hawaii. I've never once heard this from the side of my family that is Polynesian. If it were the case, it would have been incorporated into stories and legends, like the taro plant. What makes Hawaiian weed special is the environment. For example, the late 90s Big Island outdoor White Widow was alot stronger and less stony than the indoor I tried on the mainland in the early 2000s. I didn't like it though, because it was dark and paranoia inducing .

cola

Yep, the Polynesian Hawaiian's were not smoking any weed.
The first tales came from seeds brought during Korean war.
There is, however, a long history of kava (kava) drink there
The whole culture eventually began to learn of the benefits.
And calming and euphoric nature of the "Drink of the Gods"

1708073490213.png

rolandomota

Veteran
It's strange how people just like a nice story for their weeds origin . I sound like a broken record but somehow the mexico seeds I find from imports are worth less. they are less valuable in some people's minds because I don't know where in mexico they come from. No fancy state or city name just mexico modern day brick is all I can say. I refuse to make up a name for them like " this herb right here 👉 🌿 is Acapulco Hawaiian gold"😂

Lolo94

Yep, the Polynesian Hawaiian's were not smoking any weed.
The first tales came from seeds brought during Korean war.
There is, however, a long history of kava (kava) drink there
The whole culture eventually began to learn of the benefits.
And calming and euphoric nature of the "Drink of the Gods"

View attachment 18960410
I have propagated and grown types of black and green Awa (Kava in Hawaiian) in Hilo. Propagation is actually easy. You cut the branch on each side of the node and lay it horizontal and cover it halfway with a cinder mix. After a while, The new plant will grow from the node. I've chewed the root, and it was calming. It made your mouth a little numb also and easy to drool on yourself.