What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Long time ago

All Cacti Are Beautiful

420club
A long time ago, about 15 years, I was a member of this community and reading threads for hours. It guided me through my first steps in cultivation and although I was not active for years, I always returned to icmag when I needed information.

Growing your own plants is very rewarding in countless ways and so that's what I have been doing. Years ago I had the opportunity to keep my mothers and clone from them, breed regular seeds for personal use and provide for my own needs in terms of flowers.

Quitting the ratrace and moving to another country to live off grid made me loose my collection of mothers and the lack electricity had kept me from rebuilding.
We recently improved our solar system and I can't stop thinking about getting a dimmable led Light so naturally I came here looking for answers.

Diversity is something that I value so keeping some very specific mothers was a great time. Last years I have been growing some of my own genetics and some mixed seed packs to try and achieve this without spending too much money.

This year I am growing 6 plants, coming from 2 sources and so far I am happy with how they are developing although I did start somewhat late because of low temperatures and extreme winds.

The winds are strong and can come on during the whole year, blowing plants over or breaking off stems. This and visibility made me tie the plants down in an attempt to anticipate rather than fight the elements.

I really feel like growing some nice and clean buds this year so I will be around. We don't get much pests or mold here but we have been getting them caterpillars and last year they really got us bad. I was out of the country for medical reasons and had to leave everything in the hands of someone else which was hard but I had no choice, finally getting better last few weeks after a year of pain and being sick so extremely motivated to have a good season.

Also I have been reading about CS and feminized seeds which I knew about years ago but never had a go at so that's probably a small side project.

Here's some pictures from today, they are recovering from some very intense hail about a week ago and they are getting water this evening so they don't look as good as I would like to post a picture but I feel that you have been reading long enough and deserved some.

20240708_175451.jpg

20240708_175412.jpg

20240708_175318.jpg

Anyway, nice to see there's still a lot happening here and I hope you all have a great year.

All Cacti Are Beautiful

420club
I did read about bt(i) over the last few days but I am rather hesitant to spray anything on my plants when in flower although it seems most people do.

Other years I have been closely observing and hand picking without much loss but last year I was not here, things were noticed too late and got out of control.

Another member was having good results attracting natural predators and closely monitoring, I feel like going this way might suit me and my situation more but I might just get some bti just in case.

Thanks for the advice and welcoming me to icmag.

All Cacti Are Beautiful

420club
Thanks for referring to this thread, very interesting, I did read all of it it some dags ago and came across his use of bt against caterpillars which seems to be the way it's controlled by most but I am still very hesitant about spraying something on the flowers. Being a bacillus it obviously already seems less harmful to smoke than some other stuff being used. I smoked some buds here from other growers and I really disliked it, they use sulfate and I don't want that. Looks like I just need to find some first hand experiences about whether or not it affects flavors or smoothness to convince me 100%. I have not read anything suggesting it would so far but I tend to overthink and procrastinate.

I did however just pull the trigger on a led light enabling me to start building some nice collection of mothers again.

Thanks for the compliments on the plants, I appreciate that.

Persianfarmer

A long time ago, about 15 years, I was a member of this community and reading threads for hours. It guided me through my first steps in cultivation and although I was not active for years, I always returned to icmag when I needed information.

Growing your own plants is very rewarding in countless ways and so that's what I have been doing. Years ago I had the opportunity to keep my mothers and clone from them, breed regular seeds for personal use and provide for my own needs in terms of flowers.

Quitting the ratrace and moving to another country to live off grid made me loose my collection of mothers and the lack electricity had kept me from rebuilding.
We recently improved our solar system and I can't stop thinking about getting a dimmable led Light so naturally I came here looking for answers.

Diversity is something that I value so keeping some very specific mothers was a great time. Last years I have been growing some of my own genetics and some mixed seed packs to try and achieve this without spending too much money.

This year I am growing 6 plants, coming from 2 sources and so far I am happy with how they are developing although I did start somewhat late because of low temperatures and extreme winds.

The winds are strong and can come on during the whole year, blowing plants over or breaking off stems. This and visibility made me tie the plants down in an attempt to anticipate rather than fight the elements.

I really feel like growing some nice and clean buds this year so I will be around. We don't get much pests or mold here but we have been getting them caterpillars and last year they really got us bad. I was out of the country for medical reasons and had to leave everything in the hands of someone else which was hard but I had no choice, finally getting better last few weeks after a year of pain and being sick so extremely motivated to have a good season.

Also I have been reading about CS and feminized seeds which I knew about years ago but never had a go at so that's probably a small side project.

Here's some pictures from today, they are recovering from some very intense hail about a week ago and they are getting water this evening so they don't look as good as I would like to post a picture but I feel that you have been reading long enough and deserved some.

View attachment 19029344
View attachment 19029345
View attachment 19029346

Anyway, nice to see there's still a lot happening here and I hope you all have a great year.
Hiya Cacti,
Welcome back and nice to have you here with us! Hope you are feeling better and fully recovered.
Plants are looking good! What are their genetic lineage if you don’t mind me asking?
Looking forward to reading you
PF

All Cacti Are Beautiful

420club
Thanks PF I am feeling better almost everyday now, not yet fully recovered but there's definitely a lot of progress made last few weeks. Being physically able to do things again without pain after almost a year is really unexpected but extremely motivating and a huge mental boost.

2 of 6 plants come from a sweet seeds package from last year and the other 4 came from grow barato, both were feminized mixed package. So I don't really know what I will end up with but there are some interesting smells and a good diversity of it. Half are leaning more toward sativa looking at them so again really happy considering growing from a seed mix. I took some small cuttings clearing smaller growth to keep in case there's something I might regret not cloning later.

For keeping track of them I labeled them ssm 1, 2 and gbm 1,2,3,4.

Gbm 3 is reminding me of a very specific skunk X haze cbd 1:1 I used to grow years ago making me question where these pine sandalwood kind of terps actually comes from. I used to associate this specific aroma with cbd terps because I had never came across this before but now it has me thinking that probably came from the skunk Gene's.

Reactions: hfm

Persianfarmer

Hiya Mr. San Pedro 😉 aka Cactus Brother,

Glad you are having a remarkable recovery and that you are physically active, that’s awesome!!!

I did grow some sweet seeds, a few year back and it was good weed. So hopefully you will have at least one interesting SS, fingers crossed. And you did the right thing to make clones as you might have a gem in those seed mixes!!! Will patiently wait till you keep us posted.

As for the sandalwood scent, it can definitely come from the sativa or haze that some of your plants have inherited genetically.

Read you soon
Peace and respect
PF

Latest posts

Latest posts