What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

LED FAQ) Building and DIY

Dion

so i spoke with newegg today, they do not sell individual fans for the arctic cpu coolers, and gave me a number to contact arctic directly that had been disconnected. i went to the arctic website and that was even less help. im going to take the cobs off, and buy a long heatsink and attach a different fan to that, i dont see it a good idea to buy another eight arctic cpu coolers for them to possibly not work.

or u could just buy 8 cheap fans and zip tie them to the awesome sinks you have-seen as you dont need it to fit in a pc (saving cash)

i honestly dunno if you actually did fry the fans though-i recently fried an arctic and it sizzled and popped and smelled like fire

Dion

I got a led deign that needs your approval haha, just making prints now for my idea on cooling the heatsink, but unsure.
Forgive me if I ask dumb questions haven't had much sleep and researching a lot of multiple new things right now.
I want build a simple cob light vs many small cobs light. 2 to 3 cobs, 1 blue spectrum in middle 2 red spec on sides.
my total sqftage is 1 lol any ideas for cobs on 8x8 area each. I want alot of lumens so no stretching and i got some insane air flow so heat no issue. but concerned about light burn with these bad ass cobs
more info here or if you prefer to talk on there and ill post conclusion build here
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=322036

thanks

lol da faq r u smoking dude? hahaha

I sq ft?
and you want 3 cobs?
but its 8x8?

once u get that powerful in fans go AC axial fan, sunnun has some good ones

see the link in my sig(just for the micro heros)? click it-ive put together a few designs for your type of space

I got a led deign that needs your approval haha, just making prints now for my idea on cooling the heatsink, but unsure.
Forgive me if I ask dumb questions haven't had much sleep and researching a lot of multiple new things right now.
I want build a simple cob light vs many small cobs light. 2 to 3 cobs, 1 blue spectrum in middle 2 red spec on sides.
my total sqftage is 1 lol any ideas for cobs on 8x8 area each. I want alot of lumens so no stretching and i got some insane air flow so heat no issue. but concerned about light burn with these bad ass cobs
more info here or if you prefer to talk on there and ill post conclusion build here
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=322036

thanks

But I just relized many small leds might work better for avoiding light burn spots.... idk what to coose for cobs
lol so many ways

krood

or u could just buy 8 cheap fans and zip tie them to the awesome sinks you have-seen as you dont need it to fit in a pc (saving cash)

i honestly dunno if you actually did fry the fans though-i recently fried an arctic and it sizzled and popped and smelled like fire

thats a great idea! i was just about to make an order from heatsinkusa, ill just try to get something around 92mm and i think i should be good.

i think there's definitely something wrong with the fans. today i disconnected the pc fan cooling my veg box, and stripped the wire from the phone charger (12v, 1A is what it said on the back), attaching them to various arctic fans and still got nothing, including using the virgin fan that i had not hooked up to anything.

when i hooked the phone charger back up to the fan on my vegbox, the fan sprang to life as soon as i held the wires together.

im not going to worry about them anymore, and just get fans from a different brand.

so i guess for people reading this, just beware of the arctic-alpine 11 plus heatsink combos, i found another thread where someone had similar problems with the 11 plus fans too

i think the arctic 64 is a better heatsink combo, but dion will definitely know better than me for those who are looking into building their light this way.

lol da faq r u smoking dude? hahaha

I sq ft?
and you want 3 cobs?
but its 8x8?

once u get that powerful in fans go AC axial fan, sunnun has some good ones

see the link in my sig(just for the micro heros)? click it-ive put together a few designs for your type of space

ya sorry just realized BUILD #2 the 'All American' is just what i need hope it fits.
no 8"x8" being the canopy area for each light. no worries 6 cobs now.
do the drivers have to be cooled? or just the heatsink?

i totallly get what you are trying to do-have 2 seprate beast lamps runnning at higher wattage/lower efficiency than most to use as extra photon blasters in your flower room-love it btw, led can and shoudl be adapted for everyones use

the APV-8-12 is what you want(assuming its the cheapest) it is 8w and 12 volts(apv 12 5= 12w and 5v) no point in talking about fans now so just trust me on this

running at 100w you wanna run those fans at max so 12v

so get the APV-8-12(1 for each fan) and wire both the driver and fan driver to the same ac plug that way they always both on at the same time

the driver you linked is OK BUT STILL COULD HAVE ISSUES WITH VOLTAGE

at that current the leds will consume 37ish volts(i idint read the data sheet of ur driver so dunno if it is locked at 36 or what) and for that price id go with one of these

this is only 2100mA but good price and efficiency is decent at that current
http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_2221608_-1

here it is at 2800mA if u really need to run them that hard
http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_2219971_-1

so my advice is to get the 1st driver and run them at 2100mA=75w
use the APV-8-12 (2 of each driver 1 for cob 1 for fan)

wherever u buy the arctic has grease get that

ALSO DONT FORGET BINNNING!!!!!

what cobs are you getting?(bin/k temp?) and also are I am giving recomendations assuming you will use the 36v versions right? the 72v versions opens up some good options for drivers

EDIT: checked the datasheet-that driver linked is maxed at 36v so will only drive ur cobs at2300ish mA anyway

Thanks again Dion. Your advice is gold. I Will order the right fan driver.

I got CXB3590-0000-000N0HCB30G 3000K, 36V, 80CRI, CB bin, step 3.

Unfortunately I pulled the trigger on the parts I showed previous. Having buyers remorse. But I called them and I can return the parts that won't work (fan drivers) or need changing (COB Power Supply) maybe. Gonna have to eat the return shipping though. Lessen learned. I am fine with it running at 2300ma, the cree tool has them real close to 36V @ 2500ma @ 75 deg. C. Do you feel that the drivers that I got will be great for what I'm using it for, or would it be worthwhile to return for something else thats CC with a large voltage range and dim-able be better? Definately would give alot more options in # of cob's and could dial it down if wanted? Just to clarify, when using CC, you split your volts for multiple cobs and wire in series (I think)?

So now I'm looking into another build, using 4) 3070 cobs, one driver, and one large sink with fan. Fuck I haven't built my first and I'm already scheming the second build. Addicted a little maybe.

Any who I really appreciate your advice Dion. Hope I answered your questions. I've really learned a ton. Brain hurts a little. Luckily I have medicine for that. Sorry for the rambling.

Peace, Roast.

Dion

Thanks again Dion. Your advice is gold. I Will order the right fan driver.

I got CXB3590-0000-000N0HCB30G 3000K, 36V, 80CRI, CB bin, step 3.

Unfortunately I pulled the trigger on the parts I showed previous. Having buyers remorse. But I called them and I can return the parts that won't work (fan drivers) or need changing (COB Power Supply) maybe. Gonna have to eat the return shipping though. Lessen learned. I am fine with it running at 2300ma, the cree tool has them real close to 36V @ 2500ma @ 75 deg. C. Do you feel that the drivers that I got will be great for what I'm using it for, or would it be worthwhile to return for something else thats CC with a large voltage range and dim-able be better? Definately would give alot more options in # of cob's and could dial it down if wanted? Just to clarify, when using CC, you split your volts for multiple cobs and wire in series (I think)?

So now I'm looking into another build, using 4) 3070 cobs, one driver, and one large sink with fan. Fuck I haven't built my first and I'm already scheming the second build. Addicted a little maybe.

Any who I really appreciate your advice Dion. Hope I answered your questions. I've really learned a ton. Brain hurts a little. Luckily I have medicine for that. Sorry for the rambling.

Peace, Roast.

well my main reason for not liking that driver is that is it over priced for what it is
it doenst have dimming which you dont need for this build(i dont think)
but the issues really is that it cuts it too close for volts-now I could download the test report and read it o see if it has any extra volts not listed in the data sheet and check how many volts the cob consumes at the specific temp ect etc but ive given you my advise
what you have will work-if you decide to use it plz check with a voltimeter the volts and amps of the cobs(we dont have much actually data of running cobs that high, id like to know)

u bought those drivers for 60 bucks yeah?
the ones i suggested are 28, so you do the maths,($64[price dif] - return shipping cost= savings)
if its wrth returning is u to you

about the constant current thing:
we always need constant current drivers for cobs(yes this is not entirely true we can use resistors and or let the voltage max out to regulate current but thats not topics covered in this class, this is LED 101 so just the basic easy best efficient way to rig up these photon blasters)

you wire in series to share the voltage, yes

your next build should use a hlg-185-C1400B driver- thsi will be fun for you to play with =)

Dion

Dion, nice to see you here! I've been here for years, I just hid out in my hole in the vertical section, lol

Anyway, the time has come for me to do a lighting upgrade to make up for all the time that I spent running light bulbs.

One part I'm having trouble getting answers for is the inrush current issue. I'm building a large array of chips and running 5400W of Meanwell HLG-185-C700B drivers.

Adding up my amps alone, I'd be running 22.5A@240V so theoretically I could do this on a 30A breaker with plenty of headroom. So what's the catch?

the drivers suck in the juice in a big gulp when you turn them on and then stabalize

im not t0o versed in AC electronics sorry

http://www.meanwell.com/webnet/search/doc/LED.pdf

this says 11 drivers max(u have 27?) on a 16A breaker

it would make sense that u would need a 40A breaker for ur lights

ofcourse its worth hiring a pro to do your ac stuff although they are completly ignorant and misled about leds, especial high voltage one like we use just saying

giantsfan24

After reading and reading all over the internet, this is the most clear explanation of how drivers and cobs work.

Thanks!

I've been studying RIU for diy cob and they talk about mean well being the only driver to work with. That said, I'm open. My question is though...are you very confident in recommending drivers in the links here?

I'm with you...I'm also assuming they are made in the same factory..that wouldn't surprise me at all.

:tiphat:

palmero

yes those ones are good
get the driver from the same place

BIG thanks
dont know why i did not find the FT drivers.
Gonna read and do some math.

If you say they are good maybe another noob one?

60*60
or 2*2

How many cobs? 4?
Where i get the ppfd or mymols?
Thanks in advance.
PEACE

s1.png

Dion

I've been studying RIU for diy cob and they talk about mean well being the only driver to work with. That said, I'm open. My question is though...are you very confident in recommending drivers in the links here?

I'm with you...I'm also assuming they are made in the same factory..that wouldn't surprise me at all.

well i dunno exactly but i think the meanies are good value for what you get BUT if you wanna run less than 4 cobs and dont need dimming its china all the way

Im yet to have a driver fail
I hear ppl having chinese drivers fail but- i mean.... i dont wanna be a dick but i have a few that have been running going on 2 years so it has to be the user not the driver

the reason alot of ppl over at riu use meanies is because they r simple and ppl can tel them which ones to use

if you look at ppl like alesh and robin who are true pioneers they r not using meanwells

Dion

yes those ones are good
get the driver from the same place

BIG thanks
dont know why i did not find the FT drivers.
Gonna read and do some math.

If you say they are good maybe another noob one?

60*60
or 2*2

How many cobs? 4?
Where i get the ppfd or mymols?
Thanks in advance.
PEACE

View Image

you want to use teh FT cobs?

than you need to use the 20w 600mA driver and like 6 to 8 of those(130-150w)

efficency wont be great but hey its old tech

what part of the world you in?

Last edited:
Ok, couple questions.

Could I take 1 driver 36v 2500ma, parallel the 2 3590's, would that make them run at approximately 36v@1250ma? Would that be smarter, or bad idea? I remember parallel is not recommended, is there reasons for this?

Is there a driver that will power 4 of the pc fans in one? Maybe 12v 2A or am i looking at this wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Peace, Roast.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Read this one and you will understand why it's a bad ideea. Note that even leds made in same batch under same BIN don't have identical parameters.
https://ledsinparallel.wordpress.com/

Yes, you can parallel the 12V fans on a 12V psu. They are not drivers, just regulated 12V power sources. The amp rating is the max they can provide. Single thing you need to take into account is that the total draw from the fans should be under the rating of the source.
A 12V 2A psu should be able to take 4 fans, as long as they draw under 500 mA each. And if they are regular pc fans they should be way under that.

Dion

Ok, couple questions.

Could I take 1 driver 36v 2500ma, parallel the 2 3590's, would that make them run at approximately 36v@1250ma? Would that be smarter, or bad idea? I remember parallel is not recommended, is there reasons for this?

Is there a driver that will power 4 of the pc fans in one? Maybe 12v 2A or am i looking at this wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Peace, Roast.
arctic alpine 64 plus pull .25A@12v so you can use the apv-12-12 for 4 fans(12v and 1 amp)

data sheets ppl, read them

yes you can parallel no worries- as long as the cooling is ok for if one runs away- if you use apline 64 plus then your cooling is fine

palmero

you want to use teh FT cobs?
than you need to use the 20w 600mA driver and like 6 to 8 of those(130-150w)
efficency wont be great but hey its old tech

I hear what you say, for a grow i better go with more efficient COBS because cost
of drivers and cooling are nearly the same compared to old technology COBs.

Will build one FT light to see what it does and use it as a light for my kitchen thereafter.

what part of the world you in?

Yes you got it, thats my problem. Some taxes in my place are more than stupid.
And delivery is far out of normality.

Lets say 30N and LED light is more for (pre)veg/reveg/experimental
The flowering part is done OD.

Thanks for your patience.

That myMol data i find where please?
Maybe again i am blind, sorry.

EDIT: Any use for Peltier elements wit LED?

PEACE

Last edited:
after some thought... all i would need is 2 bolts#8 Fine thread 20 inchas or 4pcs 10 inchs long to join the cheapo sinks at fasttec.... gotta love the free shipping they offer.

ive decide to use 4 cobs, 2 - LED ARRAY 2000LM COOL WHITE COB and 2 - LED ARRAY 2000LM WARM WHITE COB
know any that would work from fasttech?

I was looking at.
1121-1078-ND LED50W-142-C0350
1121-1077-ND LED50W-012
1121-1410-ND New Product LED50W-040-C1250-D
or 1121-1084-ND LED50W-018-C2800-D
all the cheapest of the cheap at Digiteck for 50watt
so confused on what model to get , thanks for the help
edit: should I run 2 drivers and would it be cheaper to build with 2?
Cheers

Last edited:

giantsfan24

well i dunno exactly but i think the meanies are good value for what you get BUT if you wanna run less than 4 cobs and dont need dimming its china all the way

Im yet to have a driver fail
I hear ppl having chinese drivers fail but- i mean.... i dont wanna be a dick but i have a few that have been running going on 2 years so it has to be the user not the driver

the reason alot of ppl over at riu use meanies is because they r simple and ppl can tel them which ones to use

if you look at ppl like alesh and robin who are true pioneers they r not using meanwells

I noticed that. I'm glad to see that you don't use them either. I like the cree cob's and I agree running more than one driver is just smart.

I'm planning on building a 6 cob cxb3070 light and wanted to run two drivers with that just for redundancy in case of failure while having a couple on hand to replace if need be.

Thanks for your work here dion. This is the first thread that's made sense to me.

:namaste: