What's new

Is the calcium in tap water available to plants?

King's Indican

Thanks for reply. I was thinking it's way too much caco3 and very little mg compared to ca.
the products i use supposed to include everything and im using the exact recommendations which some people get great results. the only thing left is the tap water for me to think about. that's why🙏

mudballs

Thanks for reply. I was thinking it's way too much caco3 and very little mg compared to ca.
the products i use supposed to include everything and im using the exact recommendations which some people get great results. the only thing left is the tap water for me to think about. that's why🙏
If you were in an inert media like hydro, hempy bucket, coco coir, then that becomes almost critical to high end growers calculating precise fertigations. Soil on the other hand, is a different animal. If you have a good soil composition you have to really mess up to see symptomatic plants...200mg/L of ca in a 5g pot every few days is nothing to soil.it would take 2000mg/L to blame the water

Ca++

pH is quite low for that hardness. Is it from the report, or meters? (they may need checking)

Lightmix isn't very juicy. Keeping it good with dry amendments would trouble me. I would be hitting it hard with liquid feeds constantly. To me, it's a starter compost, if you want a slow start. Though plant size in these 5Gs is everything

King's Indican

the numbers are from the report. im feeding weekly with molasses or compost tea and pk booster in flowering.
can u explain more about the plant size in 5g?
my plants become huge due to auto watering. do you mean this may be the problem?

Ca++

Yeah, a small plant in big pot, can reach out to find it's food. It's 5Gs of space for food, which is quite a larder for a small plant, but a big one will empty it given time.
Many organic grows fail because the pots not big enough. Most do. They will get into bloom through a sequence of potting up, but a couple of weeks later, they are hitting the bottle. That's not really an issue in terms of organic certification, but hitting the bottle isn't the all natural grow that many set their sights upon to begin with.
You need a huge pot, and a light mix is just a problem to overcome imo.

I don't do soil... he says doing a soil grow. I have full strength compost, no messing with it, and as per the bottle, I'm running 60% more than maximum. Still chasing deficiencies. Last time I did double strength, but I have new plant's I'm learning this go. I found even potting up my cuts I had to feed, and this is a strong compost. I could of waited, but it was needless time wasting. 50% from the start (canna terra)

Edit: Tiz calcium thread. Canna terra, like many soil feeds, has no Ca or Mg worth talking about. I have quite a bit of Ca in my tap, but very little Mg. So I just use a little Epsom. Less than 10ppm Mg, because I don't want the calcium pushing it out. Also, for the sulphate. Which I feel helps the smells.
From working in coco with sampling, I saw my plants would take a lot of the Mg given, even it it wasn't doing them any good. So I wouldn't over do it, if they are not asking.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts