What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Iraqi Pilgrim

unregistered190

Senior
Veteran
Cool ‘lil mutation going on maybe? More than likely will grow out of it though is what I have experienced with early oddities.

Nice write up dogtown, great report....makes me want to source some of these seeds

Breadwizard

I had a seedling do this with a recent crop, an F1 created from a CBD Dom Afghani cut and Syrian from RSC. I believe it's a possible sign of a fascinated individual. Mine self topped, one head was alternating right away, the other was normal, but with a flat stem. The plant stayed very small, but was certainly interesting from an ornamental standpoint, being harp shaped. I say let it keep going, it may grow out of it, it may not. Here's a pic of my wierd forked hybrid
picture.php

GoatCheese

Veteran
Hello and happy new year everybody!

I thought I'd do an update at just around two weeks in. The plant is very sturdy and beautiful, but has a leaf development that is new to me. I am hard pressed to call this plant deformed. I actually think it is meant to be this way. Take a look at the 'fluted' stalk on this young plant. Has anyone seen plants like this that shoot their leaves out one at a time rather than in pairs?

View Image View Image

What say you all? Is this plant deformed or perfectly fine? I intend to leave it and let it continue to develop. I suspect this will be a very slow growing, but very robust indica.
That’s a freak, bro. Calling it anything else is kidding yourself, I’m afraid. The growth tip may emerge out of of it but sometimes freaks stall at this point and don’t have a proper growth tip.
Even if it starts to growing a stem, such plants or any other kind of freaks shouldn’t be used in breeding projects.
I bought two packs of these, hopefully they’re not all freaks or as leafy plants as the few plants we have seen here.

Here’s a bunch of freaks I got out of Tom Hill’s X18 some years ago. Some lacked a growth tip from the very start.

Hempy McNoodle

Nice little freakshow there GoatCheese! I appreciate all of the input regarding the freak plant. GoatCheese nailed it. The plant seemed to stop growing and so I ate it and it was quite tasty. On 1-6-2021, I started a new seed, selected in the same way (female identification technique), and germinated it by floating it in a shot-glass of water until it sank when I touched it. This took 12 hours. I then planted it and the seedling finally emerged yesterday! This seedling looks to be off to a nice start and has interesting coloration, similar to the first one. Now it will be a game of 'catch up' with the other more established plants in the grow.

Dogtown

Thanks @ therevverend, Slim Pickens and Hempy.

Only grew one plant from that Iraq Pilgrim, going to deep into that line further but not this year.

Yes I usually try to keep the varieties pushing as long as possible.

Sad to hear about your loss Hempy, but heads up new one will go better, glad you give them another try!

Hempy McNoodle

2 week update on the replacement plant. She also seems to be a bit of a weirdo, but worth keeping as far as I can tell. Here's a pic. I think there are some promising genetics in the batch and will likely do a selected open pollination in the future at some point.

I am planning on letting her veg through the end of winter.

Hempy McNoodle

6 Weeks!

6 Weeks!

Just over 6 weeks into veg on this lady (?) and I think it is time for an update. I would have updated sooner if there was something more exciting or beautiful to share, but so far mostly we are just looking at a moderately deformed plant, which, after 6 weeks is only 4" tall. I will continue to just let her be since she is not hurting anything. And who knows, after flowering her out, maybe I'll end up with a bowl or joint worth of Iraqi bud, that alone seems worth it for me. My feelings at this point are that there are some bad genes in the batch, but also likely some straight Dynamite. The tissues and colors and even vigor that I'veseen are very, very promising. I now have 3 experiences with this seed batch and all three were freakish 'failures.' But I have 12 seeds left and at some point will be doing an open pollination / selection of the remaining beans. But, that may get put on many back-burners. Meanwhile I hope you all enjoy the update and are doing well and I hope to show you a little nug of this iraqi bud soon.

Cheers!

Hempy McNoodle

And for comparison, the plants next to her are just 3.5 weeks older than her. That is a decent head start, but at 6 weeks she is only 4" tall and has never been topped...

Those are 3 Ace PCKs on the left and on the right with the Iraqi Pilgrim is a Granddaddy Purple (Ken Estes), and the big one is a Pre-98 Bubba Kush from Cali-connection (i think?) a very, very vigorous plant! I kept a cutting. Definitely the most vigorous plant I've ever grown.

Hempy McNoodle

Update: Unfortunately, I decided to pull the Iraqi Pilgrim. The plant was deformed and after about 3.5 weeks of flowering cycle, the plant did not grow or produce any flowers. I want to thank you all for reading and sharing and I encourage others who work with this strain to feel free to post here on this thread. I will continue to share any future grows of Iraqi Pilgrim here, but that may be long in the future and who knows if we'll even have computers then..

So for now, PEACE OUT!

-Hempy

P.S. The other plants are doing very well and one of the PCKs is an absolutely gorgeous purple variant, which is covered in sparkly pink, purple, and lavender trichomes.