What's new

Indiana Bubblegum

Munson

Veteran
Too old? You realize the first Bubblegum seeds was in the 90's so the plant it's supposed to originate from is at least 30/35 tears old. You really believe there is some older version yet ?
I’m just curious if the “Indiana” tag was ever used before bubblegum appeared in Amsterdam? Or if it came after seeds were already being sold. I don’t think Dunns 95 cut was ever called Indiana BG just plain BG. So, is the “Indiana” clone pre 95?

Munson

Veteran
Yes, I realize the 1990s seed-makers produced Bubblegum seeds. I'm saying the Indiana Bubblegum clone pre-dates those seeds - so it couldn't have been born from them. So yes - I believe the Indiana Bubblegum clone was popped from seed the earliest - mid-1980s, which would be a decade prior to the development of the seeds that came out of Amsterdam in the 1990s. And, the Indiana Bubblegum clone may be from an IBL seed line that existed as far back as the 1970s.
Not saying it didn’t happen but what are the chances of people taking clones in the mid 80s? I would think more people were just producing seeds for the next crop

kro-magnon

Veteran
There was a few growers who cloned their plants as soon as they started to grow indoor in the 70/80's but I don't believe any cut of 40 years is still alive. When professional can't keep their plants safe how could could have done illegal growers? Police raids, pests, diseases, thieves, all the different catastrophes who can happen to any grower make almost impossible to keep clones for half a century.

Crazy Chester

Not saying it didn’t happen but what are the chances of people taking clones in the mid 80s? I would think more people were just producing seeds for the next crop
True - not many people were keeping mother plants in the mid-1980s - but some were. For example, I had Cali-O up to last year - that clone dates to the early 1980s, tracing back to AE77 (RIP).

Crazy Chester

I’m just curious if the “Indiana” tag was ever used before bubblegum appeared in Amsterdam? Or if it came after seeds were already being sold. I don’t think Dunns 95 cut was ever called Indiana BG just plain BG. So, is the “Indiana” clone pre 95?
I don't know - but, I think the "Indiana" tag is younger than the clone it was appended to.

Crazy Chester

There was a few growers who cloned their plants as soon as they started to grow indoor in the 70/80's but I don't believe any cut of 40 years is still alive. When professional can't keep their plants safe how could could have done illegal growers? Police raids, pests, diseases, thieves, all the different catastrophes who can happen to any grower make almost impossible to keep clones for half a century.
What about Cali-O? I'm convinced she's still alive - I had her up to a year ago and I bet there are more than a handful of growers who still have her today (and that I'll eventually get her back) - she was kept from the 1980s, originating in AE77.

Last edited:

Crazy Chester

I agree - legends - but, they were people who actually existed and networked with each-other on the internet before it was the internet. They were keeping clones in the 1980s. Subcool stated Cali-O was popped from seed in the 1980s and dropped a lot of names in tribute of Eric77 who popped it, none of them disagreed with him and each of them were also legends.

Munson

Veteran
What about Cali-O? I'm convinced she's still alive - I had her up to a year ago and I bet there are more than a handful of growers who still have her today (and that I'll eventually get her back) - she was kept from the early 1980s, originating in AE77.
Think S1s will be the closes thing or renamed tangie

kro-magnon

Veteran
I'm very skeptical of origin stories of many famous clones, by searching quickly AE77 Cali o here I found a thread with a Chimera quote where he said the AE CAlI O was not a great plant alone and made better crosses.
I believe a seed line with orange smelling/tasting plants started in the 80's but when was started the clone known as Aeric77 Cali O is anyone guess.
Because shit happens along the years but also I don't think a plant can be cloned indefinitely without it loosing some of her best attributes.I don't believe there is a clone of CaliO of 40 years and counting.

kro-magnon

Veteran
Personaly I've grown a few hybrids with insane orange smelling/tasting plants, the first was JIllyBean who had a lot of variations but from the 6 females I've grown 2 of them had a distinct orange smell, one was not very strong smelling but very pleasant citrus odor. The other was a very strong smelling one with intense orange peel smell and in the background a very offensive skunk smell. I had one who was kind of tutti-frutti very sweet and tasty girl, the other were a mix of fruity/offensive smells but not specially orange. I have no idea where their mother Orange Velvet came from but I liked growing the JillyBean seeds.
The other cross made with supposedly AE77 Cali O was Blood orange(CaliOxAppalachia) from Bodhi seeds, there was a lot of variations as well, the 3 females I had were very different, one was low odor, big yielder but average or low quality, the second was lemon smell/taste strong odor and powerful high with a decent yield, kept her for a few runs and finally the winner, a plant who reeked so much of orange it could be too much and disgust some people; full of resin and big yielder, she was a winner on all fronts, I kept this alive with the help of a friend for 5 years, the longest I've ever kept a genetic. She is so far one of my only elite level plant I've ever selected from seed;
I'd like to see more crosses from Bodhi with his CaliO if he still has it, I don't know where she comes from but certainly made outstanding hybrids.

bimblebrains_1

Personaly I've grown a few hybrids with insane orange smelling/tasting plants, the first was JIllyBean who had a lot of variations but from the 6 females I've grown 2 of them had a distinct orange smell, one was not very strong smelling but very pleasant citrus odor. The other was a very strong smelling one with intense orange peel smell and in the background a very offensive skunk smell. I had one who was kind of tutti-frutti very sweet and tasty girl, the other were a mix of fruity/offensive smells but not specially orange. I have no idea where their mother Orange Velvet came from but I liked growing the JillyBean seeds.
The other cross made with supposedly AE77 Cali O was Blood orange(CaliOxAppalachia) from Bodhi seeds, there was a lot of variations as well, the 3 females I had were very different, one was low odor, big yielder but average or low quality, the second was lemon smell/taste strong odor and powerful high with a decent yield, kept her for a few runs and finally the winner, a plant who reeked so much of orange it could be too much and disgust some people; full of resin and big yielder, she was a winner on all fronts, I kept this alive with the help of a friend for 5 years, the longest I've ever kept a genetic. She is so far one of my only elite level plant I've ever selected from seed;
I'd like to see more crosses from Bodhi with his CaliO if he still has it, I don't know where she comes from but certainly made outstanding hybrids.
Orange velvet = Melvin = cali-o ....subcool didn't like the name of the Melvin for marketing so called it orange velvet

kro-magnon

Veteran
Orange velvet = Melvin = cali-o ....subcool didn't like the name of the Melvin for marketing so called it orange velvet
I don't think the mother used to make the JillyBean and Blood Orange were the same because there was no trace of the putrid smells you could find in the JB in the BO.

Latest posts

Latest posts