What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

I Bought an Ounce in Michigan for $39!

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
I'd love to know the 'behind the scene' reason for the $39 price tag.

.............. just a ploy to get folks in the door or something deeper?
Nothing crazy. Just an abundance of people growing. Legal, illegal, indoor, outdoor, greenhouse...... actual top shelf cost more than everything else. But there is just lots and lots of herb. And the middle shelf growers are mostly growing the same strains.

And turns out most smokers are not pot snobs. Many are totally satisfied with a pen and some flavored distillate. They are actually glad it doesn't reek a block away.

Alcohol industry says approximately 20% of sales are craft and 80% crap. I would assume weed is similar. Except a huge portion of the craft is grown privately and never makes it into the legal market.

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
So I guess we can expect the price to be coming down, too bad for the growers trying to make a buck when everyone has the same great idea!:shucks:

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
Good analogy, bigtacofarmer, except calling that 80% 'crap' seems kind of elitist. Some people don't want to (or can't) spend $12 plus for a sixer. The beer snob phenomenon happened in the 80's with the rise of yuppie culture. Suddenly people were too good, their tastes too evolved to drink a Bud or a Miller.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
Good analogy, bigtacofarmer, except calling that 80% 'crap' seems kind of elitist. Some people don't want to (or can't) spend $12 plus for a sixer. The beer snob phenomenon happened in the 80's with the rise of yuppie culture. Suddenly people were too good, their tastes too evolved to drink a Bud or a Miller.
Im going to disagree. Higher quality ingredients made small batch vs. mass produced brewed to taste as close to nothing when ice cold. No competition. It's unfortunate that it is a financial decision. And not all craft beer is good. I think a lot of people would quit drinking of bud and Miller became the only choice.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
So I guess we can expect the price to be coming down, too bad for the growers trying to make a buck when everyone has the same great idea!:shucks:
I'm sad the free money tree is broken.

But I am a pot head and I like freedom. And having the market so flooded that everyone has cheap or free weed and nobody's going to jail is great. I would choose it over the way thing used to be any day.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
......... market issues, possible suspected contamination, but I'm betting on marketing (advertising) ploy. :tiphat:
possible contamination .... please... its a state run disp. and they have rules, do testing etc...etc... i mean look at ohio with the train derailment .... the gov't said the air and water is fine, u can breath and drink the water.... but when the ohio senator was asked on a tv program if he would drink the water.... he didn't answer the question..... commie bastard...

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
That's their problem. Let 'em drink piss.
I would have to hope their is somebody brewing a beer you like twice as much as that.....

I really don't drink much at all any more. And if i was going to eat acid at a festival and decide to drink beer all day. I would pick something almost clear and beer flavored such as your preference. But if I am actually looking to enjoy the flavor and only have a beer or two, I would pick a good stout during the winter or some lighter ale during the summer.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
I would have to hope their is somebody brewing a beer you like twice as much as that.....

I really don't drink much at all any more. And if i was going to eat acid at a festival and decide to drink beer all day. I would pick something almost clear and beer flavored such as your preference. But if I am actually looking to enjoy the flavor and only have a beer or two, I would pick a good stout during the winter or some lighter ale during the summer.
It's all a matter of taste. I personally hate stout. But here's where the analogy with weed falls apart. All beer will get you about equally fucked up. So choosing the beer you like is really all about the flavor. And of course, in the weed world, liking a weed strain simply because you like the flavor makes you a chump, according to 'weed connoisseurs' anyway.

Ringodoggie

I have a question...... was the $39 price before tax or after tax?

I would be curious what the amount of tax was on a purchase like that.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
You can't always get what you what
No, you can't always get what you what
You can't always get what you what
But if you try sometime
You just might find
You get what you need.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
And if you grow your own, why do you even care what happens in the legal trade? If I'm growing tomatoes in my backyard, I never feel the need to go to the grocery store and smirk over their tomatoes, but that's just me.