What's new

How to start seeds in rockwool cubes?

goingrey

Wasn't trying to sound preachy, sorry. They definitely roll down in there and end up sideways and upside down. Gravity and light usually show them the way. Sometimes they get lost going in circles.
Nah bro don't get me wrong it's good info especially if it really is so that special care with the placement is needed in rockwool. And much appreciated especially from a rockwool guru like yourself.

goingrey

leaf.jpg

Regarding the nutes or pH being off.. Live plants that got the same water seem ok? Unknown strain in Seramis on the windowsill, found the seeds on a shelf. :D Germinated in a cup of tap water.

goingrey

Every seed has the same design. They have an eye or navel where they were attached to their Mother plant. The root emerges from the tip of the seed that is opposite the eye/navel. So, when planting in Rockwool after soaking, you put them into the hole Root Tip side down Eye/Navel end pointing upward.

This can be tricky with the predrilled holes as they are usually wider than most seeds. Take a Chopstick or Pen Cap to move some Rockwool fibers to cover some of the hole so the seeds don't just fall in. Then put a seed over top of the hole and poke it into the cube. Sometimes I flip the starter cubes upside down and make my own smaller holes that are not as deep.
When you're right you're right.

Trying the rockwool cubes again (because I'm a numbnut) and seems like I've lost one because it was growing upside down...

Cotyledons turned brown and the taproot actually split in two.

So it tried it's best but the rockwool must be too dense to make the turn the right way around.

Latest posts

Latest posts