What's new

How Rare is 1977 California Orange aka Cali O??

420Alaska

Elmer Bud, from my research, the Flying Dutchman version is Dutchman's Royal Orange, which is not the same as the California Orange Bud that Sam the Skunkman took to Amsterdam in the early 80's, so the story goes.
It was the Dutchmans Royal Orange that the Aeric 77 Cali-O Phenotype was chosen from, also from what I have read on the forum about Aeric 77 Cali- O, or AE 77 Cali-O
I have not found one forum that said that the California Orange Bud that Sam the Skunkman brought to Amsterdam in the early 80's, who sold it to Nevil, who later sold it to Ben Dronkers of Sensi Seeds in 1991, was crossed with a Skunk, or with an Afghani.
If anyone knows how to reach Sam the Skunkman, I would be very curious to hear his side of the story, since he is the one credited with originally taking it there in seed form, or in clone form (that is debatable) haha.

B

bench warmer

My 13 year old pack of Subcool/Mz Jill's Orange Velvet bx has resulted in one male & 4 females. :woohoo:

ClearBarbedFunk

lost in the Haze
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't know what anyone else has or is selling but I have Cali-O S1 seeds. They are pure
AE77 Cali-O. I need to grow them soon.Later, Stash

I have what you have:) Big over on the island sent um. Do a little work for the island guys. Looking to rub some choco trip on um.

Take care

neongreen

Veteran
Always thought Orange Crush and Orange Bud were just names for anything that wasnt shwag and actually had orange hairs was kind of suprised to see this an actual strain

Orange Crush was made by Vic High/BCGA...

BC Growers Association - Orange Crush

The california orange mom is THE legendary clone that sets the standard for all other california oranges to aspire towards. And it has done so for close to two decades. It's super sweet Tang flavour and aroma is unequaled. It's vigour is amazing and it's ease of cloning will vastly be an improvement over the blueberry pollen source on both accounts. The blueberry pollen source speaks for itself and is described below. As with the romulan mother of Romberry, this California Orange clone does very well at low (25-30 watts/foot) light levels. Both California Orange and blueberry parents are harvested between 50 and 60 days depending on taste. Most prefer the earlier end of the spectrum for the added flavour and happier high.

After a thorough testing, the Orange crush was found to be an extremely vigorous hybrid of blueberry dominance. These plants clone and reveg with ease. I hope you enjoy growing them as much as I did.

Strain: Orange Crush
Breeder: B.C.G.A.
Type: mostly indica
Flowering: ~55 days
No feminized seeds.

Breeding status: Uniform Hybrid
Flowering: 50 - 60 days
Height: 90-140 cm.
Yield indoors: moderate to exceptionally high
Suggested growing skill: beginner

420Alaska

That's very interesting. I just read a quote from Chimera where he said that when he received the California Orange Cut from Vic, that Vic told Chimera it was a 5 out of 10 on every level.
Sounds like Vic made it sound a lot better than a 5 out of 10 in the above description.

r0z

That's very interesting. I just read a quote from Chimera where he said that when he received the California Orange Cut from Vic, that Vic told Chimera it was a 5 out of 10 on every level.
Sounds like Vic made it sound a lot better than a 5 out of 10 in the above description.

Vic was a lightweight, he would say so himself. I owned that clone many years ago and it had a distinct and strong orange smell and taste(10/10). She had a bright cerebral high, but it was very, very mild(5/10). Not for chronics. Good breeding stock though.

The AE77 clone was not selected from Dutchman's Royal Orange(as mentioned above), the Royal Orange was bred from Aeric's clone.

Aeric had the clone since the early days '77?

Just my two cents.

JetLife175

Veteran
Vic was a lightweight, he would say so himself. I owned that clone many years ago and it had a distinct and strong orange smell and taste(10/10). She had a bright cerebral high, but it was very, very mild(5/10). Not for chronics. Good breeding stock though.

The AE77 clone was not selected from Dutchman's Royal Orange(as mentioned above), the Royal Orange was bred from Aeric's clone.

Aeric had the clone since the early days '77?

Just my two cents.

All that 77 alludes to is the 77club. Where certain figures in our history go their start online in the usenet groups....

Chunky Sloth

Cali O is worth it for the the flavor and scent. If make oil or edibles it's amazing for flavor. Other than that pretty sub par. Its not rare, in the us anyways. Like others said lots tried it, but most ditched it for better options. If you're cooking or making a flavour profile for oils the plant can be extremely useful. That being said it's still not worth the hype.

St. Phatty

The BCGA Orange Crush was AWESOME.

Cali-O x Blueberry I think it was.

Fast sprouters - 5/5 above the rockwool in 24 hours.

JetLife175

Veteran
The BCGA Orange Crush was AWESOME.

Cali-O x Blueberry I think it was.

Fast sprouters - 5/5 above the rockwool in 24 hours.

I wanna say between 99-02 there was a massive amount of Orange crush in the Orange County, CA area. Quite fond of that strain and she sure brings back memories.

Cali O is worth it for the the flavor and scent. If make oil or edibles it's amazing for flavor. Other than that pretty sub par. Its not rare, in the us anyways. Like others said lots tried it, but most ditched it for better options. If you're cooking or making a flavour profile for oils the plant can be extremely useful. That being said it's still not worth the hype.

I wish it was easy to find. Been looking for several years now. Any ideas where she may be these days? Had her for a few years in the early 2000s, didn't know about selfing,had to move several times, wanted her back ever since!

therevverend

Veteran
I always heard about the Cali orange strains being out of Humboldt. In the back country there were lots of guys growing those types in the 80s and 90s. I'd imagine there's still good examples out there.
Like the other popular stuff, I'd imagine the clones that get popular and passed around by the indoor growers 'lock in' certain attributes and potency that everyone associates with orange. I've grown Orange Crush, it was fine but nothing special.

Stash

Mudraya, I found the AE77 x Uzbek to be a lot more a orangy than the Cali-O her self and very kick ass so the x should make for a very good Cali-O high bred. The AE77 x Uzbek also had about twice the out put of the Cali-O S-1.Got lots of seeds.
Later, Stash

Last edited:
I always heard about the Cali orange strains being out of Humboldt. In the back country there were lots of guys growing those types in the 80s and 90s. I'd imagine there's still good examples out there.
Like the other popular stuff, I'd imagine the clones that get popular and passed around by the indoor growers 'lock in' certain attributes and potency that everyone associates with orange. I've grown Orange Crush, it was fine but nothing special.

That's my understanding as well. When you place that old cuts buds next to the buds of Albert walker it becomes pretty obvious they are somehow related once someone points it out.

It's really good at what it does but it has a low ceiling and isn't all that potent. Also it isn't a super complex high. It is very kind and buzzy. I always thought it could improve other strains such as train wreck in crosses. Not many strains carry that old school kind weed quality and that old orange cut had that in spades.

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
I got my Orange Crush seeds out of buds in Humboldt probably about 10 years ago. I wish I would have bought the pound of weed the seeds were in. I think we found about a dozen seeds. Very sativa, very strong, and wonderful citrus flavors, of lemon, orange, and lime, and one eukuliptus. The Orange Crush we work with was the original California Orange x DJs Blueberry x Salmon Creek Big Bud.
Im growing two plants of the crush mix crossed to Lavender Lights this year. The terpenes can be anywhere from orange champagne to blueberry black hash. And Im very excited about these two plants this year

I remember when I first tried sour d the legit cut. Immediately what came to mind is it would be a perfect cross to the old orange cut.

B

bench warmer

A couple years back I was gifted 2 Cali-O s1 seeds from the 3Cz (aka Classic Clone Company). Only one sprouted but I've still got her going in veg. I'm hoping it will be a low potency yet very flavourful smoke since I wig out easily on more potent weed.

These are the exact same reasons I'm growing Orange Velvet BX which even in veg is amazingly orange scented and is reportedly as "kind" as it gets.

funny no mentioned that a77 would take cali-o at 50 daze or so any longer the terp profile lost the orange flavor,that the biggest reason for lack of potency
and its not from 1977 ,i was told from a good friend of ae77 the 77 is his birth year
i know of one person who holds the original cut,so its still around
if ya can get your hands on kak-o from the breeder kak ,your in for a real treat

I had no idea of the history of the calio when I had it from 2000-2003, but I definitely liked to take it at 7 weeks.

A couple years back I was gifted 2 Cali-O s1 seeds from the 3Cz (aka Classic Clone Company). Only one sprouted but I've still got her going in veg. I'm hoping it will be a low potency yet very flavourful smoke since I wig out easily on more potent weed.

These are the exact same reasons I'm growing Orange Velvet BX which even in veg is amazingly orange scented and is reportedly as "kind" as it gets.
That's awesome to hear about the calio s1 from CCC! Can we get a pic up in here? I miss her soooo much!!!!

Latest posts

Latest posts