What's new

How Rare is 1977 California Orange aka Cali O??

LostTribe

Premium user
I don't think the clone is from 1977. aeric77 was the name of the guy that found the cut. i could be wrong, but that's how i've understood it.
strain hoarders are almost as bad as snitches.

"77" was an old original internet based bulletin board and Aeric was on there. I got this info from Mr. Soul at Brothers Grimm seeds. I have had the pleasure of toking the original a couple times and it was nice but not sure how it would compare to strains of today as that was like 15 years ago.

I own some very old Cali-O seeds but they are S-1 all female. I also have Ae77 x Uzbek and some Cali-O x Ghaze, all old seed and at some point I need to make a cross with one or both of these crosses that have males to keep the lines going. Later, Stash

Please
Do
So good
SIR!

Mudraya

I had the fortune of receiving the cut quite a few years back with a mysterious name (due to agreements made by the receiver) and due to the mystery my dumb ass threw it away only to find out what it was later. It's been a grail strain for too long! Would love it for some nice mellow daytime smoke, I'm not into having the most powerful stuff around during the day. My fav daytime is some old school Mexi or African. Would love to cross with an OG or White or Chem and make an Orange Kush 2.0!

LostTribe

Premium user
muted at best compared to tangie aka subcools orange velvet

I got some PHO made with Agent Orange from TGA and it has the most fantastic Orange candied flavor terpenes love the stuff. Got it at the alpenglow in breck. All their PHO is awesome! Also tried the Blueberry gum also great but the orange was far superior.

B

bench warmer

muted at best compared to tangie aka subcools orange velvet

I have one 3Cz's Cali-O S1 & a full pack of Dman's Orange Spice from OG/CW/CBay days. Also, I recently picked up a pack of TopDawg's Citron City.

Thinking it may be time to make some crosses and F2's with this pack of OV BX.

picture.php

Big Sur

It's not Cali O but the Kosher Tangie that I have tried has an intense tangerine peel smell and taste and is very strong. Is the Tangie related to Cali O?

Tangie is supposedly a Cali-O and skunk1 cross. Not to be confused with Tangerine Dream, which was a cross between G13, an Afghani cut, and Neville's A5 Haze.

Sad that people need to bicker on this thread, and require massive 60% shatter potency from weed now. I have a library of seeds from Mexico with lots of flavor and milder sativa highs. Back in the day all we smoked was lower potency seeded weed...

As for 1977 hybrids, there were a few early strains coming out back then. Not many, but some locally from Big Sur and Santa Cruz. Cali-O was from SoCal. I had a bag of Purple Haze from Gilroy that I got in 1977. Looked and smoked like Colombian green. Potent shit. Gilroy is just over the hill from Corrolitos. I have seeds from that bag still. I also have early skunk crosses from that era from Aromas/Prunedale. Skunk was all over central California in the late 70s.

I am looking for a good cut of Cali-O now myself. The real stuff was so phenomenal. Make it into hash oil and its as potent as all fuk. But I like milder weed that I can maintain the high without falling on my face after one hit. Good day weed.

.357 mag

funny no mentioned that a77 would take cali-o at 50 daze or so any longer the terp profile lost the orange flavor,that the biggest reason for lack of potency
and its not from 1977 ,i was told from a good friend of ae77 the 77 is his birth year
i know of one person who holds the original cut,so its still around
if ya can get your hands on kak-o from the breeder kak ,your in for a real treat

Big Sur

^^^ makes sense that the Orange terpenes fall off with ripening. I tend to harvest earlier for a lighter high myself. Poking around online, I found this about the history of Cali-O and it being even older:

W*tson’s claim that he was the breeder of California Orange was debunked by Jerry Beisler’s book, The Bandit of Kabul. In the book Jerry shows his creation of California Orange, and some of the earliest photos of outdoor grows known circa 1973-74, Jerry ran one of the earliest documented seed banks in California!

I had a line on a Cali-O girl here in Oregon, but that grower said that his son killed it recently when he was out of town. He is really pissed off about losing it.

I have a bunch of orange crush x PCK seeds I made. The orange crush I grew and pollinated was one of the dankest, if not THE dankest plant I have ever grown. I was out of room so I had to let her go but I made sure to at the very least make some seeds before.

The issue is the yield is a fucking joke, it's nothing but extreme resin covered leaf basically, but god damn is it fire. I have one of those seeds 6 weeks in flower right now actually, all the seeds are dank but so far nothing as good as the orange crush mother unfortunately.

420Alaska

Hopefully someone can help me here. My friend and I small breeders in Alaska, and we are having a friendly debate about the real California Orange. I was hoping the IC Family can help us with some background.
Back in the day, he researched it for a year,on and off. He says that it the real thing doesn't exist, except in clone form in California, where they go for $1000 for a cutting, and that ALL seed crosses are with a Skunk.
I have also done much research on this strain. From what I have gathered, Sam the Skunkman arrived in Amsterdam sometime around 1984 with many seeds, which were eventually sold to Nevil. When he had to leave Amsterdam, Nevil sold his seed bank and the Cannabis Castle to Ben Dronkers, who changed the name to Sensi Seeds.
This is why Sensi to this day still carries a lot of the original descents of what Sam originally brought over from California.
So, the question is, Does White Label, who is Sensi Seeds other company, carry the original California Orange Bud, as they claim? When you look it up, it has the same description as **********. eu, which lists it as California Orange AKA Cali-O.
If Sam, or Chimera, or anyone knows the history, please respond.
I know that Sensi sells California Indica, which is a cross with an Afghani. I have also heard of others that are crosses with Skunk. But I can find zero info that says White Label Sensi) is anything but California Orange Bud, aka Orange Bud.
This is what White Label Seeds says.
"California Orange Bud was brought from to Holland from California in the early Eighties and adapted for indoor and greenhouse cultivation"
ANY info would be GREATLY appreciated, and Thank you in advance.

Stash

I don't know what anyone else has or is selling but I have Cali-O S1 seeds. They are pure
AE77 Cali-O. I need to grow them soon.Later, Stash

420Alaska

which is a Cali-O pheno coming through in another strain, but not the real deal Cali-O, is that correct?
I had read that the AE 77 Cali-O was a pheno found in a pack of something else that resembled the Cali- O traits.

Always thought Orange Crush and Orange Bud were just names for anything that wasnt shwag and actually had orange hairs was kind of suprised to see this an actual strain

Stash

What I have is one pack marked Cali-O S1 and one pack marked AE77 x Uzbek. The Cali-O should be female only, so to make seeds I will use a male from the AE77 x . I will start these maybe later today. The plan is to make a ton of seeds. I may have waited to long already.
Later,Stash

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
Hopefully someone can help me here. My friend and I small breeders in Alaska, and we are having a friendly debate about the real California Orange. I was hoping the IC Family can help us with some background.
Back in the day, he researched it for a year,on and off. He says that it the real thing doesn't exist, except in clone form in California, where they go for $1000 for a cutting, and that ALL seed crosses are with a Skunk.
I have also done much research on this strain. From what I have gathered, Sam the Skunkman arrived in Amsterdam sometime around 1984 with many seeds, which were eventually sold to Nevil. When he had to leave Amsterdam, Nevil sold his seed bank and the Cannabis Castle to Ben Dronkers, who changed the name to Sensi Seeds.
This is why Sensi to this day still carries a lot of the original descents of what Sam originally brought over from California.
So, the question is, Does White Label, who is Sensi Seeds other company, carry the original California Orange Bud, as they claim? When you look it up, it has the same description as **********. eu, which lists it as California Orange AKA Cali-O.
If Sam, or Chimera, or anyone knows the history, please respond.
I know that Sensi sells California Indica, which is a cross with an Afghani. I have also heard of others that are crosses with Skunk. But I can find zero info that says White Label Sensi) is anything but California Orange Bud, aka Orange Bud.
This is what White Label Seeds says.
"California Orange Bud was brought from to Holland from California in the early Eighties and adapted for indoor and greenhouse cultivation"
ANY info would be GREATLY appreciated, and Thank you in advance.

G `day A

Sam`s genetics were with the Flying Dutchman seed Co as well as Nevil and Positronics Seed Co .
Sensi seeds bought out TFD in more recent times . White Label is a Sensi subsidiary .

Thanks for sharin

EB .