What's new

How did you come up with your nym (name) and avatar?

Chi13

ICMag Donor
When I first came here in 2006 I had a different handle. Then took some time off and when I returned I couldn't remember my password but was happy to make a new account because someone found the old one.

I was sitting there one day signing up, trying to think of a good name and saw the mail man. I was expecting seeds (which took 1-2 months back then to arrive) so I took a break and went out to the box and sure enough there's my seeds. Yeehaw!
Went back inside and the TV was on, Lester Holt was on and I said hey Lester I got my beans. Dumb name but it works.
My avatar is Levon Helm from The Band. If you don't know Levon read the book This Wheel's on Fire. Excellent read!
I always assumed you were a seed producer. That story is much cooler. The Band were so good.

BrassNwood

Veteran
1712097138701.png

1712097327400.png

I'm old and my truck is even older.

CharlesU Farley

Because:

The red-tailed hawk (Buteo jamaicensis) is a bird of prey that breeds throughout most of North America, from the interior of Alaska and northern Canada to as far south as Panama and the West Indies. It is one of the most common members within the genus of Buteo in North America or worldwide.
Outstanding info!

In the part of Kentucky I grew up in, they were known as chicken hawks. Where I live now they're known as 'tail hawks but I never knew the genus of the word.

Understand what your nym means now!

Last edited:

buteo

Premium user
Veteran
Hooligan music!

Idk if a bunch of us that have been here a while schedule a chat meetup ill tell everyone a couple things. We get all those random browsing people here and im semi secretive about it.

Or i can push the whole premium thing... Can talk about it in vip.xD

J0sh1

Veteran
My name in here is actually my nickname which I have been known all my life since I was a child. Only changed a few vowels with numbers that look like the vowels that have been replaced. My avatar picture comes from a blacklite poster I bought which show's Gandalf and Bilbo blazing in front of Bag End. It's called The Habbit . @cough_cough_eer in 2007 added a little smoke animation and im ever grateful!

flower~power

~Star~Crash~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
some of my best life experiences were in Big Sur 67’-69’

the photo on my avi is Lime Kiln beach just south of Lucia where I have watched the sunsets many a time with a dozen to 100 hippies tripping balls on $1 dollar tabs of orange sunshine and smoking bshw…

I will never be that high again.
You were in the right place at the right time doing the right things. Have to ask did U happen to see any late 60’s Grateful Dead ..
? in the bay area, perhaps ?

bigsur51

On a mailtrain.
Premium user
Veteran
420club
You were in the right place at the right time doing the right things. Have to ask did U happen to see any late 60’s Grateful Dead ..
? in the bay area, perhaps ?

no Sir ……but there were a lot of rumors about the Beatles hanging out at the Esalen Institute

we did hitchhike up to San Jose from Sur to attend the San Jose Pop Festival but could not get in , some trouble with a lot of bikers so we hitched back to Sur..

IMG_8611.jpeg

IMG_8610.jpeg

Nannymouse

Because:

The red-tailed hawk (Buteo jamaicensis) is a bird of prey that breeds throughout most of North America, from the interior of Alaska and northern Canada to as far south as Panama and the West Indies. It is one of the most common members within the genus of Buteo in North America or worldwide.
The northern harriers seem to have part of our property, as their hunting/nesting territory. The other part is red-tail hunting. Neither kind will mess with my pigeons too much, but that damn prairie falcon that stops on his way through his migration...he likes to stop for brunch. That bird has been stopping here for years, since he was a young bird. Don't know if i just didn't see him last year, or if the newly built fly pen where the birds were out of his reach was enough for him to just move on. Maybe he ran into some trouble, along the way. But damn, he is agile and darn determined and knows how to push a bird into a corner or window...

buteo

Premium user
Veteran
Yea he will be a threat to your birds. Buteos not so much.

Watch out for accipiters. They are the bird hunters. They are psychopaths.

North America there are 3 sizes, small(sharp shinned hawk) medium(coopers hawk), and finally the king(large) the goshawk. They are my favorites because they are crazy xD.

There are accipiters throughout the world. The euro goshawk is bigger. That one is cool 😎.

CharlesU Farley

no Sir ……but there were a lot of rumors about the Beatles hanging out at the Esalen Institute

we did hitchhike up to San Jose from Sur to attend the San Jose Pop Festival but could not get in , some trouble with a lot of bikers so we hitched back to Sur..

View attachment 18982210
View attachment 18982211
Read that the Moody Blues were very enamored of the Brotherhood of Eternal Love, marketers of Orange Sunshine. Specifically the leader of the group, John Griggs. They consumed so much two five, they couldn't even play their instruments. They were so enamored of the family type atmosphere he had created, nude moms with kids running around, flowers in their hair, etc., they thought he had created a Utopia.

That's where the album To Our Children's Children's Children's Children came from.

Outstanding info!

In the part of Kentucky I grew up in, they were known as chicken hawks. Where I live now they're known as 'tail hawks but I never knew the genus of the word.

Understand what your nym means now!

A local university has a birding course. They had a "birds of prey" day which was interesting. I like photography and the local papers "What's on this week" told me about a bird day. Owls probably don't eat chicken much though.

The birds were in cages until their turn to entertain. When the owl was released all the birds in the area went crazy. While I was there people in the course told me they were travelling the world to study birds. I'm sure it's a lot of work but it must be a much more interesting life than sitting in a room playing video games like many young adults do today. Having an interest makes a big difference in our life.

birdsofprey.jpg

I took NotTheRobot after several tries at other names that didn't pass. There were posts of interest that aren't on other sites and the guy running the CanadianWeed site passed away. The system here kept coming up with "NotTheRobot" so ...

buteo

Premium user
Veteran
Glad to see a strong interest in birds of prey around here. I have a bit of a connection with them. If i see anyone pointing a barrel at them i rage like a psycho.

The buteo isnt my top favorite, but its the one I got to know first.

aqualungs

Aqualungs has followed me from Cannabis Culture, Toke City, Full Melt Bubble and here. I came up with it while obsessing over glass and preference at the time to smoke from bongs, Aqua (water) Lungs (location of smoke entering the blood stream).

Now I prefer to roll spliffs with a glass tip but still occasionally rip the bongs when I am limited on time or don’t want to reek too bad.

Avatar is a 1.5 oz air dried, cured resin bubble hash temple ball I pressed in February.

Latest posts

Latest posts