What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

hoarding of genetics ??why??

GHETTO_grower

Ido not understand why some pple would rather keep cuttings and strains to themselves rather than pass them aroudn to other passionate cannaseurs that grow for themselves . first thing we all want this species to flourish and spread , overgrow the nation and all that right? well when growers are hoarding cuttings and rather only give out thier less than desirable stock, then you are perpetuating the spread of inferior genetics and ur also halting the spread of chronic. and the thing that really pulls at my threads is the fact that you are dooming that line of genetics to extinction mutch faster , many great gene lines have been lost because they were "exclusive strains". or maybe it's just bitter growers because of the hard work they had to go through to get some genetics they dotn want to just give it away so easily to another. I mean if were not careful we could hollow out any real substance in the marijuana community, Some of the greatest achievements made for genetics was because of people traveling the world finding genetics from locales to share with them. Then taking them back home to refine and share with the community.

I dunno , toss some opinions out if you like though pple , I just think we should be spreading good strains around any chance you get, were trying to up the species not ourselves

HOARDING GENETICS ENSURES THE FUTURE OF SCHWAGG (and keeping it illegal)

G

its become a business and about the haves and have not.i think if you just buy the right genetics and grow out plenty of different genetics and do your own crosses their are plenty of elites out their.i grew out a pack of gno3 c99 and i know i missed out on a clone only plant elite was the least i could describer it. plus their are just plain strains that maybe better then elites .take my favorite its kalimist. c99, super silver haze.jack herrer .mango haze.

flashgee

ghetto grower...i will gladly take all your elite strains you got and grow them out,just to help you out....wink wink

Mt Toaker

Yeah it really is a shame, but I understand they don't want any competition. In "The Cannabible" volume 1 Jason King claims that people pay 10,000 for a single clone of Big Bud

green_thumb...

Strain Whore Extraordinaire!
Veteran
yeah i had to start from seed due to bogarders i know many of local growers with very very dank strains but dont want to spread it out,i say fuck bogarders!!! SHARING IS CARING!!! you stingy buttholes...and i mean that in the nicest way possible moderators.

G

Greyskull

just to stir the pot in the other direction....

say you come across a strain that blows away all those that have been held by the hoarders... and they come knockin on the door for once... you just gonna give them the plant?

the recipe for coke is trade secret.... whats wrong with trade secret cannabis?
there is still plenty of options available for growers of all kinds, so whats wrong with "trade secret cannabis"?

S

~Spirit~

It is greed, and to make certain growers feel like they are the masters of the universe by making people go apeshit over a clone they will never release to the public. Oh yeah, because I'm a "man of my word"...please, stop playing the martyr bs. It all started with greed and elitism, plain and simple.
Some of these same people will go on and claim "its all about helping sick people, not about money">>>but, if you want to grow this, you have get out your wallet and pay $$, for not THE CLONE, but SEEDS, from us. You want the clone??..haha fug-off, its just for us worthy growers!!"
After spelling it out its quit obvious, that its essentially a sad group of mental midgets that grow a certain rare PLANT(S), and have found a way to make themselves feel important to themselves, and to the kids of the Internet.
Don't be fooled, and don't kiss any ass waiting for a break...the elitists don't care about you.

minds_I

Veteran
Hello all.

Did I mention this is also a security issue?

I have some SDOG, one of the best in my stable (of three strains) but I do not go around advertising this.

I only grow what I smoke so I do not have a large surplus. I do not sell.

The folks I smoke with think my buds come from a cousin on the coast.

So why should I give up my security to pass around a good strain? Am I to be considered a greedy bastard all for the sake of my own security?

I think not.

minds_I

catman

half cat half man half baked
Veteran
minds_I , Obviously it's understandable that your not passing around genetics because you don't want people to know you grow. NO ONE is going to argue that with you :)

Ghetto grower - Good post man. Not everyone has the Over Grow spirit in their blood =[

S

~Spirit~

Yes minds_I, I did see you mention security issue.
I didn't mention it because I see no problem with THAT reason. But like you said its not a greed issue, its a security issue, which is fine. We're on the same page....I have to lie about my stuff too for security. (it's from my friend's cousin in Baltimore):D
I'm talking about the people that like to hold it over people's heads....pass the "ok" clones around, keep the good ones, the ones most medically viable for themselves...and act like the canna-heroes of the pot boards.

Knives

the only reason i can see people not passing clones is because of security.
other then that, its just rude not to share...but instead of complaining..
make a better strain and pass it out freely! then no one will want their cuts lol.
im sure they pass them out though, just not to everybody. the republicans of the pot world

G

Greyskull

I'm talking about the people that like to hold it over people's heads....pass the "ok" clones around, keep the good ones, the ones most medically viable for themselves...and act like the canna-heroes of the pot boards.

thats why I am asking whats wrong with "trade secret"-like cannabis?

if there are so many other good options out there why do the "elite" strains need to be so sought after by personal growers?. Can't you just make your own?

Natagonnaworrie

If you love life, don't waste time. For time is wh
Veteran
elite clones. the most touchy subjuct....

here's my :2cents:

those that are in it for the $$$ will hoard them, it makes their product more valuable. 99.9% of these people are not even the original creators, so they got it somewhere... they just chose to end the karma train with them. :noway:

others, actually created / breed these beautys. K++ to all of you. :woohoo: Most of these people created something they wanted to share, but if not, they made it, they can decide what to do with it. :joint::joint:

if you absolutly can't get any elites where you are at do yourself a favor, (just my :2cents: i know this is diffucult for some) buy 3 - 4 packs of your favorite beans, find the best females and a bunch of good males. do one grow for seed only (250w - 400w will provide plenty). pop a shitton of beans (100ish) and keep the best female. Thats pretty fucking elite in my book. :nanana:

i will tell you this, there are those that are actively trying to spread the elites across the world in hopes that the shear statistics of such sharing will continue to improve this plant more and more.

well i have a couple of really great strains ive made and i try to make as many seeds as possible so i can share them with everyone. right now I have the best lifesaver plant ever. I pollenated about 10% of the plant so i can get some seeds but this one looks like it will also be a major yeilder. When these are done i cant wait to grow and share them. I also have some feminised seeds of my drunk indian ver2 plant i made! cant wait for these to get around!

Maj.PotHead

End Cannibis Prohibition Now Realize Legalize !!
Mentor
Veteran
all i can say is document a grow or 2 impress the right person and bam the PM's come hey i seen your grow really like what ya do. would ya be interested in this {thats how it happened with me} now between the 27 strains i created last yr and what ive been gifted. i have around 60+ crosses of grade AAA med quality herb. i have gifted the ppl whom gifted me and other members in the comunity gifted fresh cut clones and seed some even got pollen with the seed gift he he. all i can suggest is grow to impress i seen in your gallery pics of nothern lights and WW ??{White widow or williams wonder } then strains arent to shabby

Greyskull knows whats up

Some people don't sit out with their empty hands open they work to make something out of nothing and then use what they've got to get what they want!

All I've got for your outstretched hands is some pocket lint!

DIH419

Many people here a very capable and willing, but are you willing to share your addy with a complete stranger. Have you ever had your door kicked in by theives before?

Security is the #1 overwhelming factor for most people on both ends of the trade, gift, or sale. Few are too greedy or selfish not to share with others, but there are a few among us for sure.

I share plenty, but I'm more careful the older I get. I always hated getting mites or thrips from people who gifted me cuttings. I don't blame them, but I like to keep my garden clean .. and sometimes its nice to have a heads up on bugs but most won't give it to you when they don't know what their looking at. I've learned to isolate any incoming from the rest of the population and not risk it anymore.

Give a little .. get a little