What's new

Help utilizing big HLG LED for vertical grow

So I normally grow in big pots/beds using notill, but I have minimal space for a bit and want to utilize my HLG Scorpion R Spec LED. My goal is to save horizontal space, something similar to what this site shows (scroll down just a bit.)

https://www.cannabistech.com/articles/turn-up-the-volume-with-vertical-cultivation/

Ive never done hydro, and only have done coco once but it seems like most vertical grows ARE NOT soil grows. It seems like most are SOG style grows, which is fine.

All in all, I would love some help putting together a grow that…

1. Uses my HLG LED
2. Uses soil but NO liquid nutrients
3. Uses MINIMAL horizontal space

This forum seems to have the best in terms of vertical growing. I have an idea of what i’m going to do, but any suggestions would be wonderful thank you!!

onavelzy

Veteran
I'm not understanding how you could get in to work with the plants. The LED would typically be about 12-24 inches from the canopy. Unless you had the plants or the light in a wall on rollers, I don't see how that works

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Lots of soil as to keep plants happy without liquid nutes in a vertical setup sounds like a limit that makes it hard for you. I think you are starting this the wrong way. Tell us about your space first. Is this really the best option for you? Also, is there a reason you avoid liquid nutes?

Koondense

Veteran
You can still not go full vertical but instead start horizontal and shape the plants to grow sideways(in diagonal), so you get more area than horizontal, maybe even more than vertical.
In flowering you can have the light at 60-75% angle, as you would have in a linear colosseum(grand stand style).
I would use stretchy scrog friendly plants.

Cheers

I have two plants going and some clones (in-house and bodhi,) the plants are probably like 2 foot tall with like 6-8 tops.

I saw some people having a trellis on the back of their pots and training the the shoots to go vertical with the trellis, I think one person on this vertical section shows it even.

That would definitely save horizontal space for sure, has anyone done that before? It seems like the most feasible idea to save horizontal space.

Have you checked out the Ichabod Crane sticky? Amazing thread for all growers, but seems like it could answer a lot of your questions. Marlo also has the epic W.O.W. thread that was a great example of vertical trellising. Both use more stationary versions where the trellis is more or less connected to the wall. And if you're shooting for more, smaller plants to cut down on veg time, dhf and bobblehead i think had some nice rack systems. All super inspiring reads.

And you can absolutely use soil! Remember, everyone's situation is different. You get great growth rates with hyrdo but if it's mainly headstash, maybe focus on the best quality flower. You might as well tailor your setup to what works for you.

My current vert is a 3x4 footprint with 7ft ceilings. Small donut around stacked 315s. Containers are soil 18 gallon SIPs. No liquid nutrients...all dry organic amendments except for stuff like aloe/coco etc in my waterings. The biggest challenge dialing in this space for me has been choosing the right genetics that can accommodate the stretch requirements, and fine tuning how I train and top or don't top. These are also larger plants grown tall, so you really shouldn't have a problem running smaller plants in small soil containers.

Also having a horizontal veg setup helps to get them close to size while keeping nodes close before the flip.

Good luck with it! Dialing in vert can be a pain, but it's really helped me use my small spaces more efficiently.

Lotto

You can still not go full vertical but instead start horizontal and shape the plants to grow sideways(in diagonal), so you get more area than horizontal, maybe even more than vertical.
In flowering you can have the light at 60-75% angle, as you would have in a linear colosseum(grand stand style).
I would use stretchy scrog friendly plants.

Cheers

Like Koon said, I mount screw in leds to vertical and horizontal panels. Lampholders hold a dual adapter with 2 bulbs that sit at a 45 deg. angle. This setup allows penetration to all parts of the plant. 2 different levels under these lights allow me to move plants around during the entire flowering cycle. These plants are catching big light from top to bottom.

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
So I normally grow in big pots/beds using notill, but I have minimal space for a bit and want to utilize my HLG Scorpion R Spec LED. My goal is to save horizontal space, something similar to what this site shows (scroll down just a bit.)

https://www.cannabistech.com/articles/turn-up-the-volume-with-vertical-cultivation/

Ive never done hydro, and only have done coco once but it seems like most vertical grows ARE NOT soil grows. It seems like most are SOG style grows, which is fine.

All in all, I would love some help putting together a grow that…

1. Uses my HLG LED
2. Uses soil but NO liquid nutrients
3. Uses MINIMAL horizontal space

This forum seems to have the best in terms of vertical growing. I have an idea of what i’m going to do, but any suggestions would be wonderful thank you!!

led boards don’t work like that maybe some model i butted together but hlg flat boards I don’t see it working properly but how bout you tie it to a ceiling fan on a vertical rail with the ceiling fan spinning and let the fucker swing around the room … they had one for regular lights back in the day… otherwise get another light and have 2 walls m