What's new

Hashplants

p59teitel

TRSC Chitrali almost done. Topped out just over 6 feet. Plant was somewhat susceptible to septoria leaf spot thus the whittled appearance in the pics - but she flowered very early and kept leaves on long enough to have the energy to throw reasonably thick and very solid colas with hard clusters - much firmer than any other landrace I’ve grown.

Every single female plant this year has purple flowers, and this is no exception. Maybe half the trichomes are milky but I’d like to let her go a little longer if possible, assuming the Septoria doesn’t penetrate further into the
flowers. I have a rainy night coming up - and after an August and early September drought I did have recent two heavy rainstorms - but so far I haven’t seen any botrytis
🤞
I will likely cut the cola ends within a few days and let the rest flesh out some more.

The smell keeps transforming, initially it was more mandarin and gasoline, it still retains some of that but has gotten a bit floral as well -

IMG_1047.jpeg
IMG_1183.jpeg
IMG_1187.jpeg
IMG_1185.jpeg
IMG_1133.jpeg

p59teitel

The two Landrace Genetics Karakoram females are doing well too. Decent resistance to Septoria. They actually gave me a bit of an education about how it spreads - after some branches partially broke off from the main stem and sat in standing rainwater during a heavy storm last month, they quickly became spotted. And I’ve also noticed that in general the Septoria spotting starts on the lowest branches then works its way up the plant.

I’ve had rainy weather before but the last two seasons the leaf spot has been challenging. One thing I have not done the past couple winters that I did previously is burn brush on the garden. I’m wondering if the prior burning cauterized the soil and killed the Septoria so it could not overwinter and get a head start on infecting the plants. I’ll put that theory to test this winter and next year as I have plenty of brush to burn.

Anyway, the taller of the two plants ended up just about 12 feet, the other one had gotten crunched on by some critter and so grew multiple tops and is around 8 1/2 high. The taller one has a gassy lemon scent, the other one a little more fuel and rose-like. Thinking maybe a couple more weeks and they will be just right to harvest, if they can avoid botrytis -
IMG_1151.jpeg
IMG_1113.jpeg
IMG_1177.jpeg
IMG_1178.jpeg
IMG_1092.jpeg
IMG_1189.jpeg

Wolverine97

Veteran
There's a tree in our backyard, but just across the property line (so I can't cut it down) that has Septoria fungus. The last two years here, outdoor has been a rough go. Only the very most resistant strains make it. This is my test patch anyway, so not a huge deal, but still super annoying. The Jamaicans come through with flying colors, but any modern hybrid stuff has just been awful. One exception is a cross I made with Queen's Sangria as the mom, and the Jamaican dad. Those are killer plants, and doing well.

The above is Grape Lime Skunk, from Mean Gene. That's a 45 gallon smart pot, for some sense of scale.

p59teitel

Last are Baaba Qo’s Tashqurghan. Four out of five of these plants got smoked with Septoria, which definitely impacted production on the scrawny one on the right in this pic of the two females. The one on the right also had a heavy botrytis infection on the stem; I wound up scraping the infected area clean with a pair of scissors and have hit it with rubbing alcohol since. Those measures seem to have stopped the infection, which you can see as the light brown area a couple feet up from the ground -

IMG_1190.jpeg

The healthy plant is almost 8 feet and the scrawny one about a foot taller. The strain flowered very late as compared to the Chitrali and the Karakoram. I don’t expect much from the scrawny plant, but I would like to be able to push the healthy one to the end of October if possible. I will say that I have never seen landrace flowers this immature with the amount of resin the chunky one has thrown so far. I like how the flower sites are close together like they are on the Chitrali. The brachts are pretty large too -

IMG_1168.jpeg

It’s also kind of neat the way the leaves are turning purple -

IMG_1162.jpeg
IMG_1166.jpeg

p59teitel

I have trees, grape vines and all sorts of things that can host Septoria pretty close to the garden, so I can’t escape it entirely. But it wasn’t much of a problem previously, as it would only really show up right before harvest on leaves that had already turned yellow and were ready to fall off the plants, which I attributed to normal senescence leading to decomposition.

Starting last year it aggressively attacked the TRSC Panjshir that I grew beginning in June, although it ignored the Himalayas from Rasol and Dakshinkali. It’s already like trying to drive a square peg to round hole here with the rainy and foggy Fall climate as it is, and so I’m gonna burn baby burn this winter to see if that reduces this plague down to background levels.

Wolverine97

Veteran
Yeah here the past two years it has started from early veg stage. It's really bad. Going to have to take some drastic measures next year, I think. I really don't want to have to treat all the soil with copper...

Anyhow, I like the look of that Chitrali above. Pretty classic PCK look to it.

kro-magnon

Veteran
The two Landrace Genetics Karakoram females are doing well too. Decent resistance to Septoria. They actually gave me a bit of an education about how it spreads - after some branches partially broke off from the main stem and sat in standing rainwater during a heavy storm last month, they quickly became spotted. And I’ve also noticed that in general the Septoria spotting starts on the lowest branches then works its way up the plant.

I’ve had rainy weather before but the last two seasons the leaf spot has been challenging. One thing I have not done the past couple winters that I did previously is burn brush on the garden. I’m wondering if the prior burning cauterized the soil and killed the Septoria so it could not overwinter and get a head start on infecting the plants. I’ll put that theory to test this winter and next year as I have plenty of brush to burn.

Anyway, the taller of the two plants ended up just about 12 feet, the other one had gotten crunched on by some critter and so grew multiple tops and is around 8 1/2 high. The taller one has a gassy lemon scent, the other one a little more fuel and rose-like. Thinking maybe a couple more weeks and they will be just right to harvest, if they can avoid botrytis - View attachment 19073522 View attachment 19073523 View attachment 19073526 View attachment 19073525 View attachment 19073524 View attachment 19073521
Burning plants on a field at the end of the season is an old farming technique used to fertilize the soil with the ashes maybe it also take care of the pathogens in the ground in the same time;

p59teitel

Ended up taking down the Chitrali on Friday. Zero botrytis found. I will jar some for flower and the rest will be hung up to make hash some cold night this winter. Already found a few random bagseeds, some are very small and are very dark so likely from the male Chitrali next to her that flowered very early (assume the larger ones are from the nearby Karakoram males). I left two selectively pollinated branches on the main stem and hope to get some good seeds from those.

Aside from moderate susceptibility to Septoria, the plants were easy keepers and I would definitely grow this strain again -

IMG_1217.jpeg
IMG_1218.jpeg
IMG_1219.jpeg
IMG_1220.jpeg

moose/MI

1000017258.jpg

I taught myself to do bubble last year.
All sungrown organic, single origin.

Each plant about a pound- pound and a quarter. I kept and trimmed 5-6 ounces of "A" buds from each strain for flower.
The 11 ounces or 308 grams left just happens to be a full load in my 5gal washer.
This worked out really well for me last season and I plan to repeat it this year.

I'll get some plant pictures tomorrow from this year.