What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

grnmtfinn summer10

GrnMtFinn

high again. went out to smoke on the porch tonight, brought my ipod out to groove and a black splotch was in the yard. after we studied each other for a while i purposely moved quickly to scare it off and it pounced away. i am sure that it was a bobcat. which is good because the deer are in full force. last night three of my tallest plants got munched. not the flowering ones, thankfully. so hopefully the bobcat will keep the deer at bay for tonight. they must be prowling around by the moonlight, it's pretty easy to see out in the woods right now. here's the afgoeey from the transplant:
picture.php

i patched up those plants as best as i could with wire and electrical tape to splint them, so hopefully the stem grows back. i pulled one out of it's container, they are severely root bound. i am definitely picking up spray paint tomorrow and will transplant five or six more plants. good news! i found a pistillate preflower on my nicest plant. and here's some news i can't tell whether is totally rotten or not so bad: i found a couple male nanners in the top cola of one of the girls. i picked one of them off, but maybe it is best that i don't touch them at all?
picture.php

here's a shot of the two bucket girls:
picture.php

a macro shot of an apical bud through my 10X jewelers loupe:
picture.php

budz:
picture.php

on that note, i'm off to ride the northern lights X skunk train to zzzzzzland. mañana

Panama Red

You want to chop those nanners off carefully but with a vengeance.

Like an Irish Catholic father catching the O'Malley boy in his daughter's bedroom.......

GrnMtFinn

g'devening. got some green and black spraypaint today and camoed five buckets. transplanted four plants this evening. went to the hydro shop, bought a quart of fox farm BIG BLOOM! i'll start applying that tomorrow. fingers crossed. i would love to pull at least a half pound. i have been out of a job since february so this is sort of my summer job. tax free! have a grateful day

redbudduckfoot

Veteran
dude, go to a gardening store, or to gtg(green thumb gardening) in jericho, vt. there are sprays that ward off deer, i think its synthetic coyote piss. or if you or a friend has a dog, brush them real good, and use the hair the brush pulls off and strew it around yer grow. if its your dog, tie him up there and give him some water. his piss will keep the deer away.

or, if all else fails,fence it in w/ deer netting. its like 30 $ and worth every penny. believe me, you dont want your crop to be on a deers menu.

by the way, gtg is the shit as far as grow stores in vt......theyre old school.

Last edited:

GrnMtFinn

word thanks redbud. to take preventative measures, i've moved all the plants closer to my home where the deer don't normally roam. but then again, i've seen some baby rabbits around recently so they could be doing the damage, too. dug a hole today and stuck one nice plant (maybe a female, but tough to say) in there. the California orange plant is definitely a male so i will cross it with flowers from one branch of the early flowering shit that i have in buckets right now. that would be a hell of a cross! two early flowering plants + the orange + short inter-nodal distance + branchiness. sadly, it looks like all three of the afgooeys are males, but again, too early to tell i think.

redbudduckfoot

Veteran
yeah, finn, i was wondering what that hierloom vt strain was? is that the early flowering one? and does it go by another name? like "jerry berries?" that is the one strain that everyone has been growing outdoor in central vt for the last 20 years.

GrnMtFinn

don't think it's the jerry berries. and im not really sure, all i know is that it's some strong indica.

cali orange male in bloom
picture.php

the bucket girls:
picture.php

picture.php

GrnMtFinn

one of my plants has been seeded! so i killed all the males today. it was either afgooey or cali male pollen or self-pollinated by those nasty little hermaphrodite nanners. hoping for the two former and not the latter. two or three lower branches of the bigger plant are producing green seeds, they are starting to swell out of the calyxes. who can give me a word of advice on seeds and things? more pics to come in the next couple days. they're getting nice!

GrnMtFinn

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

looking nice and frosty. these have been in flower since the first week of july. the bigger of the two nice bloomers is developing seeds and i am going to wait until the seeds mature, i think i'd love to run this early strain again next year. unfortunately, the next generation will have the intersex gene, but maybe i can just keep crossing and growing out seeds until i find a nice line. that's the aim. im sure you guys have harvested seeded bud before, how long until the seeds get mature? do they need to turn brown and mottled, they are green right now but they seem to darken up a bit every day.

G

Ganja D

Looks great man. I love VT and VT outdoor. Just read through your thread and I can almost smell the fresh air from the pics of the seedlings in spring. Crazy you saw a bobcat I lived in the NEK for 10 years and never saw one. There are some old school strains around there for sure.

GrnMtFinn

OK so i leave for college in a week so i wanted to get some bud cut. i harvested a nice branch today off the smaller of the two early bloomers. there was some bud mold on it so i got rid of that. put all the trim in a rubbermaid container and popped that in the freezer. gonna make some ice hash after i harvest some more! HAppy trails all.

G

Guest129216

Looking mighty good man! I think seeds needs 4-5 weeks to mature.

Like Ganja D, I loooove Vermont too. Fucking awesome place. Had the time of my life there. Long live the green mountains and grnmntnfinn.

GrnMtFinn

Thanks, Bom! Yo all, just sampled a bit of the bud that was drying in my house, just two nugs that weigh in at about an eighth together that I quick dried for a couple days. These were not from the branch that I took, but from the another branch that was being threatened by mold. It smells very "green" in the jar. But I just loaded up a bowl and it feels nice to tear and pack, sort of spongy, not really dry, and very sticky. It is only slightly harsh to smoke and tastes very nice, certainly not like anything that I have ever tasted before. And I'm pretty damn high. Gonna go see the Jerry Garcia Band play in ny tonight, bringing this bud to trade for some goodies! More pics coming soon, it's been stormy and cloudy lately, but the cold nights have kickstarted the flowering nicely.

GrnMtFinn

yo everyone! Ahhhhh, fruition. i am a happy fuckin camper right now. just got back home yesterday to 50.something grams of fluffy outdoor buds, been drying for three weeks now. this morning brought such fair weather - good joint smoking weather. so i climbed up to my tree platform and away went the J. the high is way up in my head, just the kind i like. it lasted a good 3 hours. the stuff smells real strongly of black liquorish. it's a nice lime green and has some fatt orange hairs. these buds were harvested from those two "bucket girls," the stuff that showed preflowers mid june. they yielded 160 or so seeds total. these were produced from the plant self-crossing (intersex flowers). hopefully this next generation will yield some cool buds. as for the others: fat fat fat buds, and they smell even better! one of my plants, the one i trained back with the 20+ branches coming off it turned out to be a real dank purple strain, all the buds are a nice purple and the veins of the leaves are deep red. the one that i supercropped early and topped has two enormous tops, the buds are each the side of my arm. im a happy happy happy kid right now. hope everyone else is as happy as me. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sf4Z5VCd0o enjoy this tune, it's one of my favorites.

ps. im starting an indoor grow soon, not really sure what the plan is, gonna meet with my partner in operations this tuesday to talk it all over. i'd love some advice from anyone who has been in my position who has tried indoors. thinking about joining the LED movement.

pps. lost my camera cord, pictures coming tomorrow night!

see ya