What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

grnmtfinn summer10

Stinkymutt

GrnMt , plants are looking decent for young plants . I believe The fox farm soil should have all the nutrients they will need for a while . Just my 2 cents but if they were mine I would not feed them for a while yet. They are looking pretty healthy and I know that fox farm soil is good stuff even without the castings added .
peace
mutt

GrnMtFinn

what about FIMming at this point? is it too soon? Also, the grow big fert. is specifically marketed by Fox Farm to be used in conjunction with their soil products. I would just like to get them more immobile nutrients that the "grow big" contains that will help them beef up a little bit.

Something I realized today: I pay 20 bucks per bag of ocean forest and 18 for the grow big liquid fert., but I guess in the end I do not mind paying the price. It should be nice to have organic buds, as easy and cheap as fertilizing with miracle grow, I just don't think I will feel as good about it. Also, Fox Farm is straight out of Humboldt County. Consumers of Fox Farm products are directly supporting the work that is being done in the Emerald Triangle right now. Time for some made in the US of A. go local, peace.

GrnMtFinn

i went ahead and watered last night with the fert. i checked them out this afternoon and they responded very well. i think they just needed a good watering and a little something extra. Here are a couple pictures, i think they are looking great:

afgooey
picture.php

one of the indica seeds, must be a hybrid
picture.php

here is the leaf damage that i was talking about, the cracked sections in between veins. a few of the plants have severe cases of this condition. does the upcurled leaf edge mean it needs water? this one seemed to be more extreme yesterday before i watered.
picture.php

this LST looks really promising. I am hoping for four massive branches out of those two lower nodes.
picture.php

group shot from about five yards
picture.php

slug damage
picture.php

i mixed up some dirt today: added a bunch of coco coir and perlite and vermiculite. I'll transplant the four seedlings that I have in small cups with peat moss/vermic mediums.

another update on tuesday afernoon

Stinkymutt

Get some slugbait bro ! lol I have not seen the leaf damage that you are getting before . I dont have a clue what would cause it but was hoping someone else might add there input . They are looking healthy otherwise .
keep at it
mutt

GrnMtFinn

nutes doing a nice job. plants look great, real pleased. three plants lost to deer, must have been a nice snack! they smell great already. huge crowns, going to start training them a little to encourage some branching. topped one. i'm at war with those bastard slugs. kill a bunch every time i check the plots. here's a shot of one group:
picture.php

checked my grow notes from last summer. on june 24, 2009: first leaf sets developing. LOL, can't wait for the bloomage. these have potential.

Lookin great bro!! glad to see another vermonter on here :)

.... and yah, FUCKIN slugs... go buy a six pack, drink a few, cut 3/4 of the empty can off the top... fill your little 'dish' with beer... put near the plants. dont know why, but they love the shit - so much that they drink themselves to death.

peace, best of luck!

EDIT --- PS ... i'd consider transplanting those ladies pretty soon, like this next week or so. ... you will find they are juust barely starting to root bound, if you leave them another few weeks, leaves may start to turn colors and growth will slow down.

are you planning on doing all in containers, or in ground in holes?

GrnMtFinn

there is a bog-type wetland on my property so i may do a couple raised beds in there. i'll throw a bunch in five gal containers. i put a couple pennies around the stems of some of the plants, i will check in the morning to see if the telltale slime trail is up in the foliage. i heard something about slugs not liking copper.

GrnMtFinn

checked the crop, two plants showing female preflowers. one might be a hermaphroditic, though. transplanted into 5 gal buckets. fertilized the lot with 4 tspns/gal FF Grow Big.

hey bro, lookin good!

i didn't realize you had a swamp/bog to work with.... that kind of changes the advice i gave you. send me a pm and i'll give you some links for bog/swamp grows :)

about the pennies thing.... you have to put MOUNDS of them, and copper doesn't always work -- buddy of mine just used pure copper 3" wide rings around the base of his plants, still wasn't enough to keep slugs from eating his plants.

try the beer thing man, in conjunction with whatever else (copper, diatom, slug pellets) you have one hand.
slugs suck.... they've gotten dozens of my plants this year.

GrnMtFinn

picture.php

picture.php

the deer are really starting to take a toll. i checked the group at around 11 this morning and when i went back around 4 or so, my nicest bagseed plant (the tallest, branchiest of the bunch) was completely munched. there is fat two ft tall stem coming out of the bucket with one huge fanleaf and that's it. they trimmed up my prized afgooey as well, three big fan leaves were taken off. Though, I am seeing it as a good opportunity for the plant to start branching out. all of the nodes are completely exposed now. I spread all the plants out, they were right next to a popular bedding site with the local wildlife and the intersection point of a couple deer trails. it wasn't a problem before, but now that it has become one, i am reacting before the devastation continues. preflowers are starting to pop up, i check every day. looking out for the balls. peace

GrnMtFinn

pix on the way! can i put two plants in one five gallon bucket without having too many problems? maybe a board in the middle or something. dumping some soil into a hollow tree stump, too.

i'd put your nicest girls one per bucket, and any still in question, 2 per bucket.... this way some will be 1 boy 1 girl, a couple will be 2 boys, a couple 2 girls.... all luck of the draw.

you'll be find man.... just dont keep trimming leaves and let them do their thing :)

Dude, PS

get some brown/green spray paint, and do the top/inside edges of those buckets --- honestly the most important part (from aerial view)

GrnMtFinn

yeah, right now it's the snow-white bull's eye marijuana bucket ring. my fucking camera takes AA batteries and i am all out of those, so maybe in a couple days i'll get some pics. after all the sunshine. fertilized again today at 2 tspns/gal. next week i'll hit them with 4 tspns/gal again.

GrnMtFinn

high everyone. in the past couple weeks i have been very busy so updating my thread fell a few bars on the priority list. GOOD NEWS, though. all two dozen plants are healthy and happy. the two blooming females in the 5 gal buckets are getting big and bushy, budding nicely. many many budsites and i am making sure the sun hits ALL of them. the main branch broke on one of them yesterday from too much bending, but has since been mended and hopefully it will heal. used to be at war with the slugs, now it's the inchworms! eating all the white hairs off the buds and shitting on the leaves. those fuckers! pick em and flick em. i transplanted an afgooey into a 5 gal bucket with my soil mix, it hasn't shown sex yet, but if it turns male i will just rip it out and pop a female in there. bought a bunch of 3 gallon cylindrical plastic wastebaskets. i'm just waiting on a trip to the hardware store for green spray paint to pot plants in those. $5.50 at Walmart, a little pricey, but the cashier spaced and gave me ten bucks extra in change. so here's a snap of a nice little bud:
picture.php